mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
rednck Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
R
several servers are packing movies with windows media player. does anyone know why some of these won't work properly. example, blank screen with no sound or error message .

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I believe this is not a mIRC issue...
/me shall report this to moderators...

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
Yes, mIRC has file transfer capability, but it is not a file transfer client. Those would be FTP or some other program specifically written to share files. So you're stealing a movie and seeking help as to why it won't play ? Maybe the quality was so poor it won't work. Maybe it was infected with a virus and it's eating your hard drive information ?

At any rate, Therat is correct, that isn't a mIRC issue. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The final version of WMPv9 has only just been released. Perhaps you still have a beta version.

Then again, consider what Parabrat said about virii. If you download wares then you will invariably also download trojans. People arn't going to waste time ripping films and software for your benefit or anyone elses without doing something that will be of benefit to them.

I say steer clear of wares channels on IRC and also steer clear of "FTPz" and filesharing syndicates like Kazaa, Napster, etc. None of these keep you safe from infection so why bother persevering with it.

I used to be a sucker for free programmes and would simply download anything I could get my hands on that would prove to be of some use. Yet my computer was also full to the brim with trojans and other nasties. That was a long time ago. These days I buy Windows and all apps I use on it. I also go to the pictures or buy DVD's with genuine films on them instead of burnt ones. I use AV software and a tough-as-nails firewall too. I'm either responsible or a wimp. Take your pick there, but at the end of the day my whole computer network is fault-free and I am no longer a propagation farm for other people's bad intentions.

Think about it.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
I know people that download mp3s, warez, movies..the works.. and have never gotten a virus that they didnt catch before they got infected. It's really not that hard if you know what you're doing.

But if you're unfamiliar with all of it, your advice is good to follow.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I've had to deal with tons who didnt, and more who only thought they did, and those who did but STILL got nailed. You download from strangers, you're asking for trouble.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
and more who only thought they did

Spot on. That would apply to most who bother with illegal file downloads. At the end of the day, having been in both camps it is just not worth the grief of catching something and then having to spend half a day reformatting, reloading Windows, visiting the M$ update site 30 times to download servicepacks, browser upgrades, security patches, etc.

It's much easier and in some cases cheaper to buy the product. You get a better quality application a better quality and more stable installation and an odds-on guarantee that there is no bad stuff with it.

As an example, this week I bought Win XP and VB.NET for AU$190 and AU$225 respectively. That is peanuts and the software will last me for the three years or so that I plan on running it for, accounting for an anticipation that I will then upgrade to a higher spec product.

I noted your remark elseware re: Dalnet's new stance on wares channels. This is the best thing to happen to the IRC fraternity for years. I sincerely hope they are able to police the new rule efficiently.

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
dalnet is another issue, don't get me wrong, i hope that Dalnet will continue to exist. what they will want to try to enforce as policy has it's merits, i will definitely agree. however, on the other hand ... Dalnet suffered very heavy attacks. of course, it is nothing i endorse. but whomever attacked, had his own personal twisted reasons to do it. the warez/mp3/etc communities are usually in league or parts of the groups who (D)DoS the servers. i wonder if whomever started it, won't wait to "finish" it. since that was not a small "i'll teach you" attack, but it was a full scale "lets destroy the network" attack. lets see first if Dalnet will grow back to it's former size first, then see if, and what they will be eventually able to enforce, and stay alive.

Sentinel scripter ( current version X, alpha )
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Dalnet have demonstrated in the last week or three that they will be around for the long haul, no doubt about that. I fully support their 'no wares channels' policy simply because my network has had the same for all it's life.

The question remains as to the motive behind the new direction taken by Dalnet but it's not really relevant because whatever the reason they have decided on the new policy, obviously for the well-being of the network. I wish them well.

Link Copied to Clipboard