The final version of WMPv9 has only just been released. Perhaps you still have a beta version.

Then again, consider what Parabrat said about virii. If you download wares then you will invariably also download trojans. People arn't going to waste time ripping films and software for your benefit or anyone elses without doing something that will be of benefit to them.

I say steer clear of wares channels on IRC and also steer clear of "FTPz" and filesharing syndicates like Kazaa, Napster, etc. None of these keep you safe from infection so why bother persevering with it.

I used to be a sucker for free programmes and would simply download anything I could get my hands on that would prove to be of some use. Yet my computer was also full to the brim with trojans and other nasties. That was a long time ago. These days I buy Windows and all apps I use on it. I also go to the pictures or buy DVD's with genuine films on them instead of burnt ones. I use AV software and a tough-as-nails firewall too. I'm either responsible or a wimp. Take your pick there, but at the end of the day my whole computer network is fault-free and I am no longer a propagation farm for other people's bad intentions.

Think about it.