and more who only thought they did

Spot on. That would apply to most who bother with illegal file downloads. At the end of the day, having been in both camps it is just not worth the grief of catching something and then having to spend half a day reformatting, reloading Windows, visiting the M$ update site 30 times to download servicepacks, browser upgrades, security patches, etc.

It's much easier and in some cases cheaper to buy the product. You get a better quality application a better quality and more stable installation and an odds-on guarantee that there is no bad stuff with it.

As an example, this week I bought Win XP and VB.NET for AU$190 and AU$225 respectively. That is peanuts and the software will last me for the three years or so that I plan on running it for, accounting for an anticipation that I will then upgrade to a higher spec product.

I noted your remark elseware re: Dalnet's new stance on wares channels. This is the best thing to happen to the IRC fraternity for years. I sincerely hope they are able to police the new rule efficiently.