mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#92956 06/08/04 12:56 AM
T
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
T
I know some (maybe a lot) of these have already been asked for, but here's how I think the script editor should be improved:

1. Customizable syntax highlighting, for the highlighting you could use something like:

Aliases.
Comments.
Events.
Variables.
Wildcards.
Plain text.

Along with this you should let us change the background colour.

2. Allow us to change how much the line is indented when things are inside { }, eg:

Code:
alias test {
  if (1) {
    if (2) {
    }
  }
}

Instead of the above I would rather see:

Code:
alias test {
     if (1) {
          if (2) {
          }
     }
}

3. Make mIRC's commenting work like c's (but keep ; ), eg:

Code:
... // valid comment
... /* valid comment */
... /* valid
       comment */
... /*
      valid comment */
... /* 
     valid 
     comment 
    */

4. Add more debugging options, eg: check whether an alias exists, check whether a variable will be set in the script before it is used (I realise "%var = <whatever>" can be used, but you should be able to tell whether a var is being used like that).

5. Let us minimize (to tray)/maximize/restore the editor if it's on the desktop.

6. This is a scripting feature really, being able to use $isalias on it's own (not in an event, alias, popup, etc) would be good, then you could check if an alias exists before making one, eg:

Code:
if (!$isalias(echo2)) { 
  alias echo2 { echo -a $1- } 
}

7. Allow wildcard and regular expression matching in the "find text" dialog, also let us use something to show that the following word should be evaluated as an identifier or variable, eg: "!script $identifier".

New username: hixxy
#92957 06/08/04 04:53 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
1. love the idea. I tried to find somethin that does that but never found did.

2. Could be useful in my scripts where i have rows and rows of em

3. i don't see the point to be honest. Just seems like laziness on the part of C programmers. i find ; is good enough.

4. * Danthemandoo nods

5. was gonna say should be able to desktop it aswell, but u already can so i'll keep my mouth shut grin

6. indifferent personally

7. could be useful

#92958 06/08/04 11:10 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
... // valid comment

That would break a whole lot of scripts and is completely unnecessary since mIRC already has a single-line comment signifier. And I assume the ... is just to separate the comments in your list and not to mean that any text can come before them, otherwise it would break a whole lot of everything.

6. That already works unless something was changed in 6.16 that I'm unaware of.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#92959 06/08/04 12:27 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
1. Just seems lazy to me but suppose it might be useful, personally my oppion is if you coded it, you should know where a specific part of the code, and what it does.

2. Thats just being picky.

3. This is mIRC scripting not C, if we take that stance, why not just remove mIRC scripting and replace it with the 'C' programming language. mIRC isnt ment to mimic another language, its suppose to be its own.

4. Again thats just lazy, you should know whether an alias exists or not, and running the script will tell you if it does or not in any event.

5. Agree with that one might be useful and has been requested before.

6. Dont quite get that one, nothing in mIRC is suppose to run 'on its own', everything is either in an alias/popup/event. Theres nothing stopping you running that code in an alias or on load event.

7.Wildcards might be useful, reg. exp. would be a waste of time.

Eamonn.

#92960 06/08/04 01:28 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Damn time has expired on my last post so I can't edit it.

I misunderstood what you meant by 6. at first (i thought you wanted it to work from the command-line). However there's still no reason for it, you should just put the code in an on load event.

#92961 06/08/04 03:28 PM
T
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
T
1. Syntax highlighting makes it easier.

2. It's not being picky, I find it easier to read.

3. I never said turn it into C, I said I would like to see more forms of commenting.

4. No it's not being lazy, it can just help avoid errors when you try and run a script.

7. Regexp would be useful if you are looking up a long line.

#92962 06/08/04 03:29 PM
T
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
T
3. ... means stuff can come before them.

#92963 06/08/04 04:05 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
That would mean any text in current scripts that uses // or /* as past of the text would be broken. And the ability to use */ to close a comment at any point during a line would mean that using a multi-line comment would require checking all the text of all the code you're commenting out to make sure that it didn't contain a */ anywhere, whereas as it stands you only have to make sure you're not accidentally nesting another multi-line comment.

#92964 06/08/04 10:09 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
The problem plagueing mIRC nowadays is the overwealming erge people get to want to change something, especially if it works perfectly.

Your suggestions are merely 'personal preferences', rather than 'Everyone can use this' type of suggestions, both in this suggestion thread and others, including the newest /window one.

For example, adding Sockets suppose to mIRC was a wonderful enhancement as it benefited everyone, adding colours to a prefectly good scripting editor, just wastes time, resources, filespace.

1. Colours might very well be easier to read, but what of the people who dont like colours, okay you might very well be able to turn them on off, but i'm sure khaled could think of better features to be implementing.

2. Similiarly, it might be 'easier' for you to read, but again, whats there works wonderfully as it is, if its so difficult, use spaces and add them yourself.

3. Theres ; and now /* */ what more do you want, why not add ` and ' as well.. the more the merrier.

4. I'll give you that one, it could be useful personally i would never use them but thats just me.

7. thisisaverylonglinethatgoesonforagesandagesandages.

'Search for 'forages', cant really see your point with 'long lines'

Eamonn.

#92965 06/08/04 10:49 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
Your suggestions are merely 'personal preferences', rather than 'Everyone can use this' type of suggestions, both in this suggestion thread and others, including the newest /window one.

So?
About every scripting / programming editor i can think of has syntax highlighting. It's a wonderful feature and i would really like to see it added to mIRC.

Quote:
1. Colours might very well be easier to read, but what of the people who dont like colours, okay you might very well be able to turn them on off, but i'm sure khaled could think of better features to be implementing.

What about people who don't like (m)IRC at all? Should it not exist because of them? No... they can just not use it.

Quote:
2. Similiarly, it might be 'easier' for you to read, but again, whats there works wonderfully as it is, if its so difficult, use spaces and add them yourself.

Uhm.. no. Editor will remove any indentation spaces upon save / close. IMHO forcing a scripter to use any indentation at all is silly.

Quote:
3. Theres ; and now /* */ what more do you want, why not add ` and ' as well.. the more the merrier.

There's no point in adding ` and ', as they have the same functionality as ;. The point is, that in most languages you can use /* */ comments anywhere you like.

Code:
alias blah {            /* this alias does this and that */
  blah1                 /* command to do something */
}

IMO looks a lot better than

Code:
alias blah {
  /* this alias does this and that */
  blah1
   /* command to do something */
}

But i know it's a really hard to do for a parser like mIRC's, and probably never will be added frown.

#92966 06/08/04 11:01 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
The point is, that in most languages you can use /* */ comments anywhere you like.

Code:
alias blah {            /* this alias does this and that */
  blah1                 /* command to do something */
}

IMO looks a lot better than

Code:
alias blah {
  /* this alias does this and that */
  blah1
   /* command to do something */
}

- But most languages use quoted strings. mIRC scripting doesn't. The /blah1 line you've listed there could just as easily be (and would currently be interpreted as) /blah1 with the parameters /* command to do something */. Incidentally your example of correct code is incorrect, the closing */ must also be on a separate line (with good reason; see my previous post).

#92967 06/08/04 11:19 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Quote:
- But most languages use quoted strings. mIRC scripting doesn't. The /blah1 line you've listed there could just as easily be (and would currently be interpreted as) /blah1 with the parameters /* command to do something */.

Yep, that's why i doubt it will ever be added to mIRC.

Quote:
Incidentally your example of correct code is incorrect, the closing */ must also be on a separate line (with good reason; see my previous post).

Ahh.. I wanted to use a normal (;) comments there. My mistake smirk.

Link Copied to Clipboard