mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#88998 03/07/04 03:18 PM
L
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
L
How about a feature where if you don't have the latest version of mIRC it pop's up a remidner sayin theres a new version out and lets you download it or somthin, I think this would be a really good thing to add becasue ive seen people with really out of date versions

#88999 03/07/04 03:26 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I like this idea quite a bit. Whilst every effort is made to make it obvious that a new mIRC version is out (All #mIRC channels I know of put it in their topics, numerous other help channels do aswell, a lot of websites post it as news items and the front page of this website displays it and the mIRC mailing list), people are sometimes STILL unaware of the update.

There would of course have to be an option to "Don't show this message again" under the dialog that says there is a new version a bit like the URL warning message because some people prefer older versions which, whilst I disagree, is up to them and they are free to do this. I think if it were to be incorporated it should only display once after an old version of mIRC is started up.

I'm not quite sure how likely this is to be implemented however, as it would involve mIRC being sent information of some sort and then performing certain actions based upon that info. I'm unsure how hard it would be to implement and whether this effort would be worth it. If it were to be implemented however, for me personally it would be a welcome addition.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#89000 03/07/04 04:44 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
i cant see this happening. its possible but unlikely in my opinion. one major problem. the download mirrors. you cant download mirc directly from the mirc website host. and the mirrors are always changing. unless there is a work around that i have missed.
so in order for an updater to exist. or even a notifier. there would have to be a central permanent location for mirc to grab information from. and i dont think mirc.com (their host) would allow that kind of bandwidth.

if i am wrong in my opinion please let me know.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#89001 03/07/04 05:07 PM
L
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
L
Well, if that was the case, provide a link to go the get page..though some people would be to lazy to even do that frown

#89002 03/07/04 05:12 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
i believe that would still conflict on bandwidth usage.. but i cannot say this for sure. because of the fact that i dont know the hosting aggreement khaled has.

but all in all. your suggestion is indeed valid and would be nice to see smile

Last edited by NightCrawler8283; 03/07/04 05:13 PM.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#89003 04/07/04 08:59 AM
S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
letting a mirc client send like V (version) 1 Byte to a server on startup and let the server return the version number (3Bytes) isnt realy much bandwith i gues, but with millions of users it can get abit worse tough:P

ohyeah, and people could scan their data sent and check how mirc does it and then make a socketscript wich checks it like once per 30 minutes, that would make the data traffic even worse:)

#89004 04/07/04 01:30 PM
L
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
L
The idea is to have it built-in for the lazy people grin

#89005 04/07/04 01:55 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Such a facility, although i'd like it, would:

1) Make all those paranoid people, more paranoid about "agencys" spying on them, or, getting information about their computers, or perhaps just those people that are paranoid about ports opening when they shouldnt be.

2) Waste bandwidth.. such a tool would more than likely work like all the mirc scripts out there that connect to the mirc website, check for a specific line and what "version" is mentioned in that line.

Based on netsplit.de figures, noting these are for total users on all the networks they track and not everyone uses mIRC.

Total Users: 1267756

If we say, only 10 percent (WAY to low) use mIRC thats. 126775 people now lets say half of them reboot mIRC/PC daily. 190162 connection requests just to find out "if theres a new version" and this would undoubtable be daily..

not saying it cant be done just saying it would be a waste when as we all know "news travels fast" and if someone doesnt know theres a new version, they will soon enough.

Eamonn.

#89006 07/07/04 06:55 PM
F
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
F
while this could be a nice feature for some, if it was implemented, i would hope for an option to disable it. i personally still use 6.03 because i like the look and feel of it better than the newer versions and would be rather put out if every time i started mirc i was told i had an out of date version.

------
deep down, i'm really superficial.

Link Copied to Clipboard