mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#81389 10/05/04 07:06 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Software shouldn't be free, he spends a lot of time making it, just because it's a lot easier to steal software than it is to steal a car, it doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it.
He spends a lot of time making mIRC, and i'm guessing that's his only job, so of course he should get payed for it.

New username: hixxy
#81390 10/05/04 07:12 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
you of all people should butt out of this, all your scripts, i suppose you want paid too? greedy communists

any way im not stealing anything if thats what your infering. i downloaded mirc off of a public website

Last edited by MTec89; 10/05/04 07:14 PM.

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
#81391 10/05/04 07:14 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
No i don't want to be paid, but i haven't worked on any of my scripts almost daily for over 5 years.

Quote:
any way im not stealing anything if thats what your infering. i downloaded mirc off of a public website

It doesn't matter where you got it from, you are allowed to use it for free for thirty days, and i highly believe anyone that has a computer can afford $20.

#81392 10/05/04 07:17 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i bet khaled doesnt sit at his computer 12 (or more) hours a day just busy coding mirc, or if he did, ALOT more could be done in mirc (like making it FREE) in the time it takes him to do his public releases
my computer was BOUGHT FOR ME. i didnt pay [censored]. also, i OFUND the other computer, i didnt pay for it either.

Last edited by MTec89; 10/05/04 07:19 PM.

#81393 10/05/04 07:19 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Just because he has a social life also doesn't mean he shouldn't get paid for mIRC.

#81394 10/05/04 07:23 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
if he doesnt work on mirc for 12 hours a day, why is it called (or why are you calling it) a 'Job"

#81395 10/05/04 07:25 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
A job doesn't have to be 12 hours a day, ever heard of a part time job? I used to have one, only 3 hours a day (but i only worked on a saturday).

#81396 10/05/04 07:26 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hello,

because everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm not going to say who is right or wrong, maybe there isnt even a right or wrong to it.

I do have the following suggestion: wait a few years, get a job, be independent, and then reopen this sort of discussion. Then I would like for you to express your view if developing software should be free.

You aren't grown up yet, you aren't working yet, your mommy and daddy are still paying things for you...

So I propose to finish the discussion, and wait a few years. I'm not saying that your view will be different, though it just might.

Greetz

Gone.
#81397 10/05/04 07:27 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
my view of software should be free, will always stand. there no point of unleashing something on the internet if it isnt free. im current working on VB stuff, and when i start making working uysefull stuff, its going to be open source free shi.t, so like i said...it will stay..

Last edited by MTec89; 10/05/04 07:29 PM.

#81398 10/05/04 07:42 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Nobody has to "butt out" of anything, nor do you have a right to tell people to do so. Tidy_trax is entitled to his opinion as much as you are - if you are determined to turn this thread into an argument rather than a discussion and get it locked, perhaps you should take your own advice? smile

This whole thing depends upon your opinion - which everyone is entitled to, no matter how ridiculous it is. In my opinion, starbucks has given the best reply so far and explained well what I was trying to say. Khaled does not work on mIRC in his spare time, it is his full time job. When you get older (and believe me I'm not being patronising, I'm 16 myself, just being realistic), and are forced to get a job you will not work for free. If you do, you will not survive for long. This is not a world where the righteous and the good survive with quality of life in mind - with one or two exceptions of course. You work for your money. You cannot live without money. Some people see this as unjust and unfair (hence "money is the root of all evil") but it's the way life is - you have to accept that, and if you don't like that fact, you're going to end up worse off. So quite WHY Khaled should work for free I have no idea.

Again, it comes down to opinions. Because software is made on the computer rather than in real life with your hands (i.e. hardware) some people view that as a reason not to charge. However, this is also strange, as some of the price of the computer is Windows included. If you just bought a computer with no Windows on it, it wouldn't cost as much - so even when you buy the hardware, you're also buying the software that comes with it - and you wouldn't refuse to do that now, would you? Hours, days, weeks, and nearly DECADES have been put into mIRC - nearly 10 years of someone's life is priceless let alone considering what mIRC has achieved. Everyone else is a volunteer - we work for free because we WANT to. Difference being we also all have other (non-extreme) means to provide us with food, drink, clothes and warmth.

Just like other people who have moved clients you are no great loss. You have a free choice to use it - what I find so offensive is that you have asked US to help you in the past, and then you have the audassity to say things like "screw mIRC, screw mIRC Co Ltd.". This is where your argument is at it's weakest, as it is not an argument and it is not an opinion - it is silly insults. We are not bothered whether you leave or not, we just don't need or want to know about it, especially not in the way in which you described. How dare you be so rude about something so many people have put so much hard work into. I have seen and been part of the hard work which is involved in helping here, building helpful websites, contributing to all sorts of aspects of IRC/mIRC, and it's so irritating when people like you are so rude and complacent about it as if we're expected to do it!

Respect others and they will (should) respect you, keep that in mind when discussing something as blatantly controversial as this.

Edit: Due to the relatively quick succession of posts some of my points have already been covered *hands cookie to those people* - due to me dealing with other stuff aswell, it took me 25 minutes to write this, so I'm not deliberately (and annoyingly) repeating anything already said.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#81399 10/05/04 07:56 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
heres that work/job thing again.. its not a job and its not work. and im just being 'realistic' when i say whatever i said when i said it how i said it.

also i might has AKSED for help but no one HAD to help nor answer me, so there no point in even mentioning that this whole thread is useless it has been discussed half a dozen times before now so basicaly im just here to run my mouth becuase i can because i dont need mirc for very much longer

#81400 10/05/04 09:22 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
"heres that work/job thing again.. its not a job and its not work."

That's what we're trying to say to you - IT IS Khaled's work and job. He hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, got a part time job delivering pizzas or whatever. mIRC is a company, it's his business and he WORKS on it as a job.

"also i might has AKSED for help but no one HAD to help nor answer me,"
and
"so basicaly im just here to run my mouth becuase i can because i dont need mirc for very much longer"

Hence why this will be my last post in this thread. You are clearly one of the most ignorant and arrogant people in existence, you are not sharing an opinion, you're just causing trouble - and I won't be a part of it.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#81401 10/05/04 10:03 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
well this was fun to read...

#81402 10/05/04 10:38 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Indeed. We need some sort of slashdot point modifier system, ranking posts as funny or interesting or useful.. etc. grin

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#81403 10/05/04 11:10 PM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
all software that isnt free isnt really worth using in my eye.
Windows isn't free, so format and install linux, then you can use BitchX which also has extensive scripting abilities. grin
VB isn't free either.

#81404 10/05/04 11:25 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
windows was free to me as was VB :P next point?

#81405 10/05/04 11:42 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You keep referring to Khaled not working for 12 hours per day so he's not working a real job. Let me point out something to you: You live in America, where the average hours worked per day (assuming a 5 working day week) is approximately 7.5. So according to your definition, the average American doesn't work. Your ridiculous estimate of working hours and the fact that you admit yourself that you have things bought for you shows you have no idea of what work is or what is required to support yourself financially. I realise this has very little to do with the original thread topic, but you really need to realise how ignorant you are and how foolish you look when you make self-righteous comments as you have here.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#81406 10/05/04 11:56 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
wow your so complimennnntiitive, thankssxxxxsxx smile

#81407 10/05/04 11:59 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
just to add my opinion globaly... i think that khaled has every right to charge for mirc altho i would charge 10 or 15 $ not 20 but his choice... and when i look in the past how many years he worked on this, and since this IS his JOB and it is perfectly stated on his website that this is what he does, he has every right to get payed. coz itz not really easy to make program that wil with all IRC things support scripting...

all from me =)

#81408 11/05/04 12:04 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
well im afriad he might lose his customer base regardless, when people can use the scripting feature on a FREE irc client.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard