Print Thread
#78968 12/04/04 02:41 AM
T
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
T
Hello,
I know this has been discussed before but something sees VERY WRONG in this sitution that we discussed before. I just got done going through the majority of the servers listed on mIRC. A GREAT deal of them have less than 300 and alot have less than 100. Now my network has around 60. One day i quickly entered 4 networks on the list. Out of those 4 2 had 30 users and less. That seems outrageous when they somehow got into the list and I dont. I know you mentioned you are trying to be fair but this isnt really fair at all. You talk about a candiate list, obviously those people who owned those networks werent on a candiate list. They were just added right away despite their user count. But when i apply i get rejected because I have less than 300 users. I also fixed the Welcome message. I believe i deserve a fair trial just like EVERY other network got that has less than 100 users and that are on the list. What makes it worse is their is a network listed on mIRC with NO USERS in it. To set these limits to me and let it slide to other networks doesnt seem fair at all. At the very least i derserve a trail as you said. You said 2 networks get taken off the list if they dont improve their user rate. That means you let them on the list with a low user count. Couldnt you do the same to me. I am a person who uses ONLY mIRC and i would like things to be a little fairer. In my opinion telling me to get 300 users + while half of the networks listed have less is not right. I am just expressing my feelings about this. Please some moderator answer this and we can settle this out nicly. Thank you!
-Ryan W

#78969 12/04/04 02:53 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Hi again smile

Please note that Krejt is the only person who deals with these requests to the best of my knowledge. The board moderators have little (or nothing?) to do with the process of including or excluding servers from the server list.

From what I have seen Krejt describe of the process, it seems very fair indeed. As he said:

"very small networks, with like 10 users, will be removed from the list if they don't improve. But old networks that have served us well for years and years won't be removed from the list at their first flaw, or until they totally desintegrated."

Also note, removing the .com from your greeting is quite possibly good for getting your server included - but a new servers.ini is not going to be released just for your server. Wait for the next servers.ini release and see if it gets listed then.

I can assure you however, posts like this will not help you in getting your server listed wink - If you have opinions such as this, to save yourself from flaming replies etc, you might want to email Krejt via Tjerk[at]mirc.com, although he may reply here if he chooses.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#78970 12/04/04 03:20 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"Please some moderator answer this and we can settle this out nicly."

Krejt explained the process and his reasoning to you very nicely. There is no point in asking for "some moderator" to reply to you since we have nothing to do with that process.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#78971 12/04/04 05:20 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
You said 2 networks get taken off the list if they dont improve their user rate. That means you let them on the list with a low user count.

Please be so kind as to read THIS post carefully

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#78972 12/04/04 07:56 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Personally I think you'd get more users from having a network website and concentrating on making sure it gets good ratings on all popular search engines. Server lists are used as a reference for people who make zombie bots or do you just think they hand-type all the server details they log into? In knowing that being on a server list is the last thing a small network really needs.

#78973 12/04/04 03:49 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
Server lists are used as a reference for people who make zombie bots

i highly doubt it, most people would have their own server for that, they would have more sense than to make them join a server where they can easily be banned.

New username: hixxy
#78974 13/04/04 06:01 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't mean a place to store them, I mean a place to use them in an attack. Still, it doesn't surprise me that there are doubters. You can't be positive about things like this unless you see it for yourself. I've spoken to a few people who have set up warbots and they, like any other task, get lists of active servers in the easiest and quickest way possible, no quicker way than being handed a file containing them on a silver platter is there?

#78975 13/04/04 09:50 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
if by "zombie bots", you mean various innocent users infected with trojans that connect to irc networks that let people command them, i have seen various servers/networks specifically made for that.

New username: hixxy
#78976 13/04/04 10:01 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
There are thousands of servers out there. SearchIRC alone claims to cover over 1,800 networks, some of which may contain literally dozens of servers - NetSplit.de reports knowing about over 5,800 servers on the 700 or so networks it covers! More to the point, over THREE HUNDRED of the networks listed by NetSplit have over 300 users already! shocked

This means that there are always going to be server admins who feel they should be included on mIRC's list and aren't, and even entire networks that aren't there. Heck, the mIRC list doesn't even include all the servers from the major (i.e. top 4) networks.

My advice to you is... patience.

Ultimately, only one person decides what goes on servers.ini and what doesn't - and that's Krejt. Now I don't know Krejt either in real life or online, but if he's a reasonably normal human being, the more you try to put pressure on him, the less likely you are to get what you want. Why? Because if he NOW adds you to the list, it will look like he's giving in, and lots and lots of other server admins will try to organise letter-writing campaigns in support of their efforts - which naturally, a normal person wouldn't want to put up with. On top of which, most people will naturally resist when pushed against, various religious and philosophical teachings notwithstanding.

Lastly, and to be quite blunt, no-one says that Krejt MUST be fair, even-handed or even logical in his choices. The fact that he tries to be is a great credit to him - it would be ever so easy just to cover the largest 20 networks and stop there, but the efforts made to encourage other networks are, to my mind, both praiseworthy and in the "old school" community spirit that IRC in general has lost in recent years.

For as it was written here a decade ago:

Quote:
...humans are not perfect. Only Tao is.

The IRC is solid. The IRC is floating, and will always be dynamic. Live with that or /quit."

wink

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#78977 13/04/04 12:49 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It appears that I am not making myself clear, that said I will leave it at that, it's too much like hard work with the mood I am in at the moment.

#78978 13/04/04 03:20 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Why this arguing about servers.ini and listed servers? im a part of a network with 200+ users, and i dont really care if im in servers.ini or not, let people join your server, then if they think its good they tell there friends and so on.. when i started i had the server for one reason, to test my scripts on.. then one dude entered and wanted to link hes server with me.. dont know how he found out about it, didnt advert or tell anyone about it.. and now after 6 month we are 10 serveres and have 200+ regular users.. and as far as i know no one ever talked about enter the network in servers.ini, if we dont have so many users, then it means that we can give the ones we have good suport, good help and they all can get som time from ouer opers, if you join Quakenet or som other big networks, then try to talk to a oper.. notice that you almost never get a answer from them.. thats cos they have to many users and to little time so they cant help everyone with a problem.. so keep ur network small its good for your users smile and u will have them for life "or untill they stop with mirc" smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#78979 14/04/04 05:24 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Being in the list woulnd't do much anyway. People who are new to IRC go either of two ways: they go to a bnig network they heard of and look for a server to that network in the list 2. they connect to a server whose address they found on a website. Being listed won't increase the usercount, if that's the goal. Just make sure that wherever people learn of the existence of your network, they also learn of a servername they can connect to.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius

Link Copied to Clipboard