Print Thread
#7702 21/01/03 09:51 PM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Hi board, lol

umm i have made a few dialogs in the past for a few of my scripts, but i have to load up either a .bmp, .jpg or .ico in order to spruce up the bland looking dialog, my particular fav at the mo is the mIRC.ico, however i found a rather nice anim gif of the mIRC icon and i though that would look cool.

Problem:

mIRC doesnt support gifs or anim gifs because the author of the gif technology wont allow it to be used anywhere without applying for a licence (i think - stupid idea) if the author of gif technology reads this board, he might also try looking around the internet at all those gifs being used on hundreds, no wait thousands errrr, millions of websites, theres tons of gifs and stuff, maybe the gif author might be genourous to allow mIRC to be able to finally have gif support.

I dont know how others feel about graphics in dialogs ?, but if they are small enought it can help brighten them up a bit, as long as they not overdone, as ive seen in some screenshots.

Just my thoughts
ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
mIRC doesnt support gifs or anim gifs because the author of the gif technology wont allow it to be used anywhere without applying for a licence (i think - stupid idea) if the author of gif technology reads this board, he might also try looking around the internet at all those gifs being used on hundreds, no wait thousands errrr, millions of websites, theres tons of gifs and stuff, maybe the gif author might be genourous to allow mIRC to be able to finally have gif support.

To basically answer you... no. They won't they want to make money and they only care about making money. They see those "millions of websites" as "millions of dollars" they couldn't care less if people like gif or if gif is great (which it isn't) they want to make money. What mIRC really should do is add full png and mng. png is a great format supporting all that gif does and more. Ok png doesn't support animations, but thats where mng comes in. It is just like png except it supports animations.

Just to basically sum this up in an analogy, asking Unisys to let you use gif for free is like asking Microsoft to give you a free copy of Windows.... it's not gonna happen.

S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
errmmm ok, i never heard of mng, but sounds cool if its animated.

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
hmm.. I've never heard of mng either.. But I found a link to it's home site.. (if anyone is interested)

http://www.libpng.org/pub/mng/

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Thanks, i just been looking about for a few hours and such and found that mng is somehow related to Animation Shop which comes with PaintShop Pro, upon making a small mng animation, i cant get Acdsee to view it (unknown file format) hmmmm
confused

ShadowDemon

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well unfortunately not many programs support mng yet. NS6 and above support it, and there is a plugin for IE dunno of any others.

S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Well first i use IE6 and not NS6, yeah i know bad choice, lol but i will keep an eye out for the future, in a world that is always changing.

ShadowDemon

Link Copied to Clipboard