mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#74535 09/03/04 07:20 AM
D
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
I have read a lot of mIRC commands when it comes to the /timer command.

I'm trying to set a command to request the !list every 5 mins. in the channel I'm connected to.

What I tried is: /timer 0 300 -e !list
and it just says that it is a bad command.

Thanks,
Debbie

#74536 09/03/04 07:41 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't like being rude, but you're becoming annoying now. Are you acting ignorant on purpose?

The past 3 threads you have made have been related to file sharing in some shape or form - ok, so this particular problem is specifically related to the /timer command, fine, but despite being told about our rules on helping with illegal file sharing in your last 2 threads, you make NO effort to hide the fact you're using mIRC to illegal file trade.

Yes, I know people feel the opposite I do about this and believe in all this "giving the benefit of the doubt" stuff, but given the past two threads I don't think there is any doubt involved.

I refer you to your last thread.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#74537 09/03/04 07:49 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I'm new to this stuff.

Are you to say that mIRC is ONLY for chatting? If so then there are a lot of people out there that need to get a life.

Thanks for all your help... NOT

#74538 09/03/04 08:13 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
"I'm new to this stuff."

That does not affect your ability to read replies and click on links and read the content of those links.

"Are you to say that mIRC is ONLY for chatting?"

No, file transfering is allowed. That is why mIRC has a built in file server - but it was only designed for channels to share their pictures (like at Christmas or whatever) instead of using a lot of /dcc commands. Unfortunately, it has been built upon and now you see elaborate Fserve scripts and XDCC channels etc etc.

Files now consist of .mp3 files from Britney and Madonna (which is illegal) and .avi files of the latest LOTR movie (which is illegal) or the latest .zip file containing Norton Antivirus 2004 cracked version (which is highly illegal!).

Obviously we're not going to help with illegal material.

"If so then there are a lot of people out there that need to get a life."

That may be your opinion - for some, IRC is a way of life. However, there is a common misconception that all IRC users are fat ugly pretzel-eating glass-wearing nerds. I love IRC:

1) I'm the opposite of fat
2) Decide for yourself, look to the left.
3) I don't like pretzels, especially those cheap chocolate remake versions.
4) I don't wear glasses, I wear contact lenses and I don't need them to see the computer.

So that disproves that one.

And even people who match all that criteria are, a lot of the time, really nice people. In fact, they are just like any other person, some of them are nice and some are rude lamers. We all have different ways of communicating, and some people find it easier to communicate through IRC rather than face to face. This doesn't make someone any less of a person, or a "loser", not even a "loner" as they are making friends, and many IRC users end up meeting their online friends in real life...

"Thanks for all your help"

You're welcome smile

"... NOT"

Aww frown

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#74539 09/03/04 08:46 AM
C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
Rofl you tell em.
Got my full support on filesharing too. bad practice and costs me more money for bandwidth. But to be serious too yes mirc IS a text based chat client (programme) therefore questions about mass file trading/sharing etc should be ignored perhaps? I mean whats the point in getting wound up about it?
Just my 2 cents worth and well done mentality smile

#74540 09/03/04 09:13 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
"therefore questions about mass file trading/sharing etc should be ignored perhaps?"

I would, but...

1) I have an overwhelming urge to reply
2) I like to inform the user about the issue - every now and again we get someone who's actually grateful and realises the error of their ways!

Happy chattin'

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#74541 09/03/04 09:39 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
What I tried is: /timer 0 300 -e !list
and it just says that it is a bad command.

The error message is correct - !list is not a standard IRC or mIRC command, it's a channel trigger. What you need to do is use /msg to send that trigger to the relevant channel.

That said, I agree with Mentality on the file-sharing issue, and would add something else: please remember that sending out commands like that every few minutes is going to put a lot of extra load on the server as the responses are sent to you, and if lots of people start doing this it can ultimately lead to server admins deciding that they can't afford the bandwidth usage anymore, and to close down...

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#74542 09/03/04 10:01 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Well, if you dont want them...

/me takes the pretzels

smile

#74543 09/03/04 12:39 PM
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
sheesh
/timer 0 300 msg #channel !list

#channel = the channel in which
you want the !list to go.

Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09/03/04 12:40 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard