Print Thread
#74449 08/03/04 05:23 PM
I
inglej Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
I just updated to 6.14 and noticed that when someone dcc's me a picture, and I click on "open" in the dcc recieve box after it's finished, it's trying to open the pictures in MS Publisher. What is up with that? I can't find anyplace that I could change the program that mirc uses to open pictures with. Thanks for the help!

Jason

#74450 08/03/04 08:12 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
What happens when you try and open the picture using windows explorer ?

In case you dont know what windows explorer is (dont laugh anyone, some people dont) from mirc type

//run $getdir(*.???)

replace ??? with the extention type of the picture you were sent.

#74451 08/03/04 09:30 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
[*] What is the filetype of the picture sent to you?

[*] How long have you know the person who sent you this picture?

Point of fact: People who try sending you their picture for no apparent reason, are trying to infect you with a virus. They are usually files named something like "mypic.jpg.shs" or "naked.scr" or "hot4you.jpg                    .exe".

If you are uncertain about the person who sent you this file, ie, you don't see them regularly... then you should treat this as a virus threat and take immediate action on identifying and removing it. If you find yourself getting banned from a lot of channels, then you are already infecting other users.

Then again, it could be a harmless picture. Better safe than sorry.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#74452 09/03/04 02:22 AM
I
inglej Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
I know there are freaks out there and people that aren't too familiar with things. I have been using mirc for probably 7 yrs and been on IRC for close to 9. So I'm very aware of all those kinds of things. It just seems odd to me that after I updated to 6.14 and a friend sent a picture, that when I tried to open it up in the dcc window, that mirc wanted to use Publisher to view it in. To me, that sounds like some kind of bug...maybe not. The picture is fine when it's opened up in explorer or via some other program. Has anyone else encountered a problem where mirc wanted to view a picture in a program that wasn't necessarily designed for picture viewing? Or is there some kind of fix for it?

Jason

#74453 20/03/04 06:34 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC has no knowledge about filetypes, it simply instructs Windows to open the file, and Windows itself determines the application associated with that filetype and runs it automatically. I would guess that the application that is being run is somehow directly associated with the filetype you are trying to open on your system.

Link Copied to Clipboard