mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Hello everyone!

In the new version of mIRC (6.14 ...yay!) there are some changes to the editboxes.

**from new mIRC release notice**
- Lots of work has been done on the support of multi-byte character encodings and the sjis-jis support. Khaled has added a "Multibyte editbox" option to the Messages dialog, which makes mIRC use a richedit editbox in all mIRC Windows for entering text. mIRC was using the standard Windows editbox before. The richedit editbox displays complex scripts properly. The Sjis/Jis and Multibyte options are now automatically enabled if mIRC detects a Multibyte version of Windows the first time mIRC is run. Khaled also fixed various multi-byte display/mark/copy bugs.

I was wondering if someone could elaborate on this. Does Richedit have anything to do with richtext? Is this feature only to facilitate japanese characters or is there something more to it? Any information you could provide would be appreciated smile

Thanks
-AltReality

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes. RICHEDIT is the RichText control used to facilitate multibyte characters of (to my understanding) all languages. That is all it is being used for right now, but by no means is its limidations. The use of a RICHEDIT control could conceivably permit embedding of fonts and other markup, including graphical smileys. Hopefully it never does. :tongue:

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
So does that mean that mIRC currently uses UTF-16 internally?
If so, why not implement a function to convert that to UTF-8 (Similar to the SJIS/JIS conversion) right away?

Perhaps it's just in the editbox?

Interesting news, anyway.

Link Copied to Clipboard