Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#71069 15/02/04 02:39 PM
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Who sais that when typing , and doing Ctrl+K it doesnt come p with the option of doing the old codes or new ones.
a little colour pallate. or maybe even we can do :dark-blue,light-green: and use a syntax liek that for "presets" ?
seeing as more colours is brought up all of the time. why not just acept its oging to happen. simply cos alot of people out there want it to happen. ok it may interfere with server side control codes and so on. im sure that will be taken into consideration. but none the less why condemn something that hasnt been tried yet? why try stopping somethign before it is tried. why not give it a go and see if it sucseeds? maybe a special "colour code testing" release? for server developers and the like.
i dont know why the initial colour codes werent broken up as. :5,0:512MB RAM ... and so on.. allowing numbers next to numbers without the needc of adding spaces in and using $+ .. i am sure if problems arise there iwll always be an answer to solve the problem...
Evolution is only inevitable. Why not embrace it and help make the change SMOOOOTHE!

#71070 15/02/04 03:35 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Who sais that when typing , and doing Ctrl+K it doesnt come p with the option of doing the old codes or new ones.
a little colour pallate. or maybe even we can do :dark-blue,light-green: and use a syntax liek that for "presets" ?
- Using Ctrl+K for the colours was just an example for the sake of my post. If any 'feature' using hex colours with Ctrl+K was used it would break a whole lot of everything. And if people will end up using a select few presets anyway, why not just use the existing 16 colours? Or just implement additional colours using the remaining 83 2-digit colour codes which would be completely backwards compatible?

Quote:
seeing as more colours is brought up all of the time. why not just acept its oging to happen. simply cos alot of people out there want it to happen.
- Simply because *alot* (although I'd greatly dispute that) of people want something, doesn't mean they're correct or that they've even thought it through. Besides, there are also a whole lot of people who don't want it.

Quote:
but none the less why condemn something that hasnt been tried yet? why try stopping somethign before it is tried. why not give it a go and see if it sucseeds?
- Because once something like that is done it's damn near impossible to undo. And just because it hasn't been tried doesn't mean that we can't foresee the shortcomings/problems of such a situation beforehand.

Quote:
i dont know why the initial colour codes werent broken up as. :5,0:512MB RAM ... and so on.. allowing numbers next to numbers
- It takes less text to use double-digits then your example. :5,0: uses 6-8 digits, the current way (5,00) only requires 5-6 (or 4-6 if it's below 10 and you know it it won't be followed by a number).

Quote:
Evolution is only inevitable. Why not embrace it and help make the change SMOOOOTHE!
- It's only called 'evolution' if it makes things better and it's successful. The suggestion here IMHO wouldn't fulfill either criteria.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#71071 15/02/04 03:38 PM
C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
I'm not sure exactly why you'd like this feature implemeneted. imo it would greatly lengthen the information being sent by the client to the server, sepecially when using multiple colors.

If you wish to the mIRC str into and HTML formatted str, I'm sure you can use a regular expression to do so.

<]dD[Makaveli> where can i get a clanboy (08:57 pm) <]dD[Makaveli> clanbot
#71072 29/02/04 11:33 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
FYI, Ircle started the who color fiasco with IRC. It introduced the cntrl-c header for identifying color codes; Ircle was way ahead of mIRC in terms of rich text formats (bold, underlins, etc). mIRC copied the cntrl-c character for color but used a totally different scheme for color. The problem is, both used ASCII character 3 (cntrl-c, or cntrl-k with mIRC) but the following codes were totally different. mIRC was limited to a 16 color pallete which uess numbers 00-99. Ircle used a single character (such as cntrl-c followed by an A).

Ircle took foreer to adopt the mIRC standard (minus tjhe background colors which aren't availible in the old Mac SDK.). To this day Ircle still doesn't display mIRC background color codes.

As for using HTML based coloring, it's a bad idea. Not only is it a pain to type, but it lengthens the string considerably. What would be nice is if users could select neyond the 16 color pallete.

Oh and pardon my sloppy grammer. I'm in a rush...

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard