Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
provoko Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
Where on irc/mirc can I promote? Promote my webpage? Promote other stuff like outwar, whatever it may be?

Thank you.

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Looking at the three posts you've just made, it looks like you're asking us how to most efficiently spam. Sorry, but you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find somebody here that is interested in helping you further pollute the IRC networks that we all enjoy.

I've yet to use a server that doesn't specifically prohibit this type of behavior.

-chris

P
provoko Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Heh, have an open mind. I'm not looking to spam anyone. I'm just looking for a place that allows people to promote their website.

If I wanted to I could download a bot to access every channel, Pm every person and promote my website. But I didn't do that. I went to these forums to find out a specific place that allows people to promote their website. You can appreciate that.

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
You say "promote your website", I say "spam" ... the difference is in the phrase we each choose to use, not in the definition of the phrases.

You probably won't be able to find anywhere that allows you to advertise for free. If you tried your bot approach, you'd probably find that you will be quickly banned everywhere and may even be dropped by your ISP. Most people aren't interested in viewing advertisements when they're on IRC.

-chris

P
provoko Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Haha. Don't be ignorant. You believe I'm trying to do something wrong, but you haven't even given me the benefit of a doubt. All you can see is my post count and already judge me.

I wouldn't use a bot, I know the consequences. Everyone knows that it's wrong.

I appreciate you answering my question, but don't accuse me of doing anything wrong. I have no intention of spamming.

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Hello provoko,

I've noticed that a few people are quick to jump on ethics rather than answering the question at hand... as a new user, I've encountered that too much already.

Now, getting back to your thread, I'm not so sure I understand what it is that you want to promote? Could you give me some insight and maybe I can help?

Feel free to send a private message. I'm open minded. :-)

Regards,

John

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You will find that there are no soapboxes on the internet which directly encourage promotion of one's self or of their site or services.

There are places where such things are permitted, such as your AIM or ICQ profile or your web profile on any other community type sites. You could start a LiveJournal and promote all you want there, or better yet, allow Google to index your website and allow people to FIND your site on their own accord.

The general idea is this: Unless somebody knows you personally or by popular demand... they are probably not interested in the success of those things you wish to promote. If people allowed themselves to become interested, then they would have to make available equal time and consideration for the other 7 billion people's thoughts and interests. We are not The Borg.

So, the answer to your question. You will not find any simple location to spam your ideas or interests. However, through much work and effort, you might earn the respect and interest of close friends and of their friends and general associates, such as patrons of topic similar channels and forums. You will not find an effortless escape to popularity.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
There are very few things we wont help with. Spam is prohibited by most places. Spam is more annoying than words can say. It doesnt matter if you are spamming a website or a script or selling some new and wondermous gadget. its annoying. If everyone spammed no one would be able to get a word in edgewise. Heaven knows ppl are warned about clicking on strange urls due to the number of those that infect visitors.

Mass filesharing is prohibited by many networks and providers and is a source for trojans (not to mention that many files shared violate copyright laws). It would be pretty hypocritcal to say we would like everyone to pay for mIRC according to the licensing agreement and turn around and help ppl steal something from someone else. We answer many dcc questions, trying to give ppl the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time explaining the potential probs with file sharing with strangers. Trojans cause an amazing amount of trouble. Botnets have disabled entire networks, which tends to really spoil the fun of chatting. They muck up puters. Infected users infect others. Hardly surprising that an offical site set up to help with mIRC wouldnt be thrilled at either spam or anything that has high risk of trojans.

We dont help ppl evade bans or klines or employer/school policies. We dont help with war scripts/hacking/cracking. We ask that ppl post with common courtesy and not resort to name calling and vulgarity simply because they disagree with someone else.

If i went to your home and you asked that i not smoke there, call you an SOB in front of young children for no reason or spread manure on your carpet, i assume you would expect me to respect that since its your home. Well, IRC and mIRC are essentially our homes. The things we dont want to help with are the things that spoil IRC. mIRC was created to help make IRC a nice experience. Of course we cant stop ppl from misusing it, any more than a gun manufacturer can stop ppl from using their weapons to maim and kill. Just as you wouldnt expect Smith & Wesson to explain how to shoot to kill, why expect mIRC to help with things that cause probs for everyone?

Keep in mind that ppl who get answers here will tend to say "well, the guy who wrote mIRC said..." rather than "well, some guy i dont know who just happened to answer my question said...". Help given here or in official #mIRC reflects directly on mIRC and Khaled as well as on everyone who spends their time helping.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
I'm not looking to spam anyone. I'm just looking for a place that allows people to promote their website.

keep in mind that anything someone is not asking to see they will call spam (no matter what YOU call it). If you're that interested in promoting that stuff, may I suggest you create your own channel and "promote" to your heart's content.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Hello ParaBrat,

What is your personal policy on moderators (and users) typing verbose messages that are completely irrelevant, discouraging, and unhelpful? I could see that being somewhat of an unsolicited and unwelcome message, would you agree? Could you share with us your take on that? If you find 'spam' annoying, why do you participate in spamming the forums with irrelevant non-sense? Why contribute to a thread if you haven't anything worthwhile to contribute? Please don't smear every user and harass them for wanting to solve a problem. Unfortunately, as a moderator, you lack diplomacy on several issues and it hampers the efforts of others. You don't seem to have much to contribute except for your opinions on ethics, not the facts. I do hate spam as much as you do and I'd just as soon not see it between messages when I'm reading and trying to give someone a hand.

Now, let me remind you of a few things... I paid for my client, just like several other users. We've never met and I don't remember you offering to buy it for me. Therefore, I'm inclined to tell you that it's really none of your concern how myself or anyone else chooses to use mIRC or IRC. If someone misuses their client, harasses users, sends malicious files, downloads pirated software, etc., then that's really none of my business -- unless it involves me personally or finds its way to a network that I'm managing and taking responsibility for.

And here's my policy on helping others...: I'm honest, clear, and concise. I tell people the information they come here for, as most others do. Nobody wants a line of garbage stating: "OH NO! File sharing on mIRC is EVIL!" ... "mIRC wasn't designed to share files with!" What? If mIRC wasn't designed to share files, why does it have DCC and worse yet, file server support? Did I miss something along the way? Please, don't tell me that.

I don't assist users in "evading corporate/school policy". If you carefully read posts I make, you'll see that I normally reply to the original user. Please, let's wake up and get on topic!

Did you ever stop and think that some people might say, "Well, some forum moderator I don't know told me how to use IRC ... She didn't even answer my question." Boy, what support that is!

I am sorry to inform you, but IRC is and has been changing since its inception and it's not up to one single forum moderator on a message board to tell the world how it should be used.

Finally, guns don't kill people...people kill people. I've never walked down the street and saw a gun out walking around on it's own looking to shoot the first available person. Guns don't commit crimes.

Regards,

John

Last edited by Johnsie; 24/01/04 07:58 AM.
P
provoko Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Wow, thanks Johnsie. It's been my experience on small forums like this one that everyone hates the new comer and argues anything that comes out of their mouth.

Spam is wrong. That is understood. Spam is unwanted anything. But not when you're in the right channel. Obviously there is no spam channel and I guess thats what everyone thinks I'm asking for.

So I'll ask a more specific question. Is there a channel that visits your site if you visit theres to share traffic?

Now if none exists, please don't crucify me, hahaha. =)

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Hello provoko,

I don't think there is, sorry. I've not heard of such a thing, quite frankly. I wish I could be of more help.

Regards,

John

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Yet another crusader. Please take the time to use the Search feature, search for "ParaBrat" and expand to 'Username' and 'All Posts' and 'All Forums' - then feel free to read over 2,500 posts and also private message many regulars on this board asking for their opinion on ParaBrat, and THEN come back and tell me she lacks diplomacy and does not contribute anything but ethics and opinions. She, and many others, users and moderators alike, have contributed hugely to these boards. Some just in the Bugs/Development section, some all over, some just in the Support section, but a lot of people have posted hundreds of times in an effort to help others.
And you make ethics sound like such a bad thing? As if they shouldn't exist? I fail to see why mIRC should support "promotion", which whether you like it or not is another word for "advertising" which in turn is another word for "spamming" and as this board helps with mIRC, the board shouldn't support it either.

I think you also annoyed people because of d00dman's clear posts stating we wouldn't help with "spamming" which is, even after reading the most recent posts, what seems to be the aim of this thread, you intercepted and were rude.

Now, we have had people here before arguing the toss about the rules. The rules have never changed, the people have, or they have been "removed" (which is another word for "banned" *wink*) and everyone else has lived happily ever after. The rules are fair, and as someone myself who has never been a great follower of certain pedantic regulations, I find these board's rules extremely easy to abide by (oh, and one of them is to NOT be down right insulting to other people).

Whether you paid for mIRC or not is irrelevant. ParaBrat has been appointed as a moderator, as has d00dman, to, surprise surprise, "moderate" these forums and enforce the rules set out in the nicest way possible - both to unregistered and registered users. The discussion has been mentioned before - "we" (users/moderators/krejt/khaled) cannot enforce upon people how to use their mIRC. Nobody has remote access to their mIRC and ban them from using it for certain things. However, just because we can't STOP it doesn't mean we have to contribute to it. We will not contribute to it.

Maybe this thread will interest you smile

Finally, following up with the ever-so-popular guns analogy: guns are a means to different causes, and some of those causes should not be assisted with. mIRC is also a means to different causes - and we will not help with a few of them.

Happy helping!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
I am sorry to inform you, but IRC is and has been changing since its inception and it's not up to one single forum moderator on a message board to tell the world how it should be used.

- When did Parabrat, or anyone, tell the original poster how to use IRC? I can't see it. What the poster was told, is what this forum will and will not help with. Yes, anyone can do whatever they like on IRC and there's nothing anyone here can do to stop that, but this isn't IRC, it's a forum. And the forum has rules which moderators such as Parabrat and d00dman are entitled to enforce and to inform new users of.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the original post. It seems to me the guy was looking for somewhere which allows advertising, of which there are a few (I don't know of any specifically), but it's entirely possible given previous threads the poster has made that it could be taken another way and seen to be looking for places to post unsolicited advertisements. Whatever the case, it is within Parabrat's right as a moderator on these forums to do whatever she feels is right, whether you agree with it or whether it fits into your idea of 'freedom of IRC' or not.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
Quote:
the people have, or they have been "removed" (which is another word for "banned" *wink*) and everyone else has lived happily ever after

.. and some just use proxies when "removed" *wink* *wink*

B
B
QANDO VOCE VAI DAR ESSATUA BUNDINHA GOSTOSA QE TODO MUNDO TA FALANDO? blush blush blush blush blush

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Greetings,

I see that it doesn't make a difference what anyone says, the same people are going to descend on every post people write and clutter it up with garbage. I'll just have to insert disclaimers that I can't give people the right answer, but I'll baffle them with ethics... that or I'll just have to answer them all privately like a lot of people are having to do... enough people, my e-mail box is full! :-)

Mentality:

And please, lack of diplomacy is just that. I could pick out a dozen examples with no sweat. Finding the best biased one (out of a handful) used to suit your argument isn't much weight.

And no, your thread doesn't interest me ... none of them do. I'm a big boy now and can search for items here all by myself. :-)

I'm sorry if I upset people, but d00dman jumped the gun too. I don't think the author's thread was clear enough and I wanted clarification. If I want to dump my ethics down someone's throat, I'll do it privately unless the post specifically asks for opinion.

Yes, ethics are a really crappy thing when they pollute a post and confuse a newbie. There's a time and a place for them, but I guess not for some? Instead of making a real contribution, you simply rattle something off about ethics since you really can't contribute anything worthwhile about the subject of discussion. I personally think (after searching hundreds of threads) that you just want everyone to see your name show up in a forum while you buck for a forum moderator's position you're dying to have but probably won't get.

Finally, people wreck automobiles on a routine basis and end up killing people... Should we take those off the highway now too?

starbucks_mafia:

If you search long enough, you'll see the examples. And what's the point of having help forum if it's just going to have biased opinions and nothing worthwhile? That's the point I'm trying to stress.

Regards,

John

E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
Quote:
that you just want everyone to see your name show up in a forum while you buck for a forum moderator's position you're dying to have but probably won't get

Man you hit the nail right on the head with that statement.
It's just a case of a brown-nosing nightmare, there are
others here that are the same way, just not as bad.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
spam/promote on irc will prolly get you banned from the channel you spam/promote on.. "if you arent a channel op".. and if you are one, then you should know that many users just hate spam/promotes.. dont we get enuff of that crap in ouer mail boxes?

edit:
some networks even k-line users that spam.. "k-line = ban on the server.. you cant connect to it"

Last edited by sparta; 24/01/04 09:10 PM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
hey codemastr.. i thought you were leaving us for good.
stick to the plan.
___

The fact of the matter is, this forum is not a democracy and it is run by its moderators... quite happily I might add. If you have a quarrel with a moderator, take it up with them in private. It is absolutely inappropriate for you to discuss their [supposed] downfalls in a public and unrelated thread.

You are a new guy here and you have already surrounded yourself in a well of negativity. Your first impression has been blemished, and so your views and opinions are of no apparent concern to anyone here. Unless you intend to conform, and fast... I for one welcome you to save your breath and leave us.

You follow in the footsteps of the antagonists who have fallen before you. Please make haste so the next antagonist may take their turn.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard