webnet
quakenet

Am I correct?

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Hello provoko,

Check out SearchIRC ... www.searchirc.com for lots of real time statistics on networks.

And what's your definition of "top" ? :-)

Regards,

John

P
provoko Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
P
Thanks.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Another very good resource is netsplit.de.

Happy chatting smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You should also be aware that best is usually proportional to your physical distance from that IRC server. Many servers tend to only serve people within a certain proximity of that server.

My advice would be to type /links once you manage to connect to these networks, and then try connecting to each of the servers to see which ones permit your connection. You can also keep an eye open for users that join a channel using your same ISP, and /whois them to find which server they use.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Greetings,

Physical distance is not always the case...

Quote:
You should also be aware that best is usually proportional to your physical distance from that IRC server. Many servers tend to only serve people within a certain proximity of that server.

provoko:
Your best bet is to use TRACERT <ip address of the chat server>[/b] from the Windows command line. (You can open that by going to the Start Menu, selecting Run... and entering "CMD" or "CMD.EXE".) Although servers may be near you physically, your path to them by way of the Internet may be routed across the USA and back.

TRACERT is a nice little built-in command utility that lets you trace routes (hence the name) through and to networks. When you use this command, you'll receive replies in milliseconds and also the amount of hops. Mostly, you will want to pay attention to how many hops your connection has to make before it reaches its destination. The fewer hops, the better. Most ISPs that have several backbone connections will logically use what we like to call the "open shortest path first" (OSPF) method, but that's not always the case.

Regards,

John

K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Not to sure what to say about this one provoko, it seems to me like your an IRC newb, and im not trying to make fun of you, so dont take it offensivly, but if you really want to find good networks, take John's advice and go to www.searchirc.com or .org i forget. The networks that normally have better stats are the ones that get indexed by searchirc bots, the bigger the better normally... smile

KG6NCL (Aaron)

Link Copied to Clipboard