mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#65642 28/12/03 03:54 AM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
Perhaps consider developing a small php addon to this site; with the intent to make the forum more active.
Purpose: New posts with enough replies get packaged out into an RSS feed.
Alternatively a feed digest of hand picked posts by admins for the week.

Pros:
-Higher site traffic
-More of a community type feel
-Easy to do -> know a little PHP, a little SQL, wham bam thank'y'm'am...

Cons:
-If posts weren't checked big long flamey ones would slip into the feed and would snowball 100x as fast.

Thoughts?

#65643 28/12/03 06:35 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
you have some kind of obsession with RSS-...
whats this have to do with mIRC?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
#65644 31/12/03 03:30 AM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
*points a large finger at the SITE part of the topic*
As for the possible applications to IRC and mIRC of RSS, search will help you out.

#65645 31/12/03 09:33 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok im not going to look up this RSS feed so maybe you can do the trouble and explain in some simple detail exactly what rss is and why does it need to increase site traffic here in the forums? as if the bandwidth used isnt enough, your suggesting it use more? Im totally unsure what it is your asking here so i cant have any thought but the fact that you need alil more sleep or alil more coffee.

D3m0nnet.com
#65646 09/01/04 02:02 PM
O
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
O
That would be nice smile

Bloop
#65647 10/01/04 11:47 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
RSS (Rich Site Summary or Really Simple Syndication) and once called RDF Site Summary is a way of shifting information from one website to another, though has other uses such as the suggestion from Clockwerx. It's more or less an XML format containing the information provided and is interpretted at the user end with a script, usually Perl, though ASP and PHP can also be used. The news headlines on my website is a good example of what RSS can be used for, though I still used the old fashioned Javascript feed, but shhhh, don't tell Clockwerx.

Does the mIRC forums need this functionality? No. Why? Because the forum already provides what Clockwerx wants, albeit in a slightly less accessible way. However Clockwerx is forgetting one thing - the big advantage of RSS is it's ability to work without human intervention. The site admins here would have to read each and every post every day of the week to fulfil Clockwerx' content requirements.

#65648 11/01/04 02:10 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well not to offend clockwerx but i think hes got some pretty drastic ideas for some subjects that dont even pertain to IRC, on a side note i wont mention the javascript stuff to him on your site, its a rather nice site btw, its changed alot from last time ichecked, put alot of time into it i see.

D3m0nnet.com
#65649 11/01/04 06:01 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually, I just want an RSS feed so I can write an mIRC script to query the forums, looking for any new posts in select forums, at 5 minute intervals.

Something like this would be extremely low bandwidth and would allow forum regulars to monitor new help requests immediately as they're posted, displaying them in mIRC.

I know this is not a necessity, but I got the author of FlashFXP to do this for me, and I wrote a really great script around it. It has increased support 10 fold.

The potential use for moderators would be great too, allowing Parabrat d00dman and Karen (et al) to receive notification of moderator flagged posts that need to be reviewed.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard