Page 2 of 2 1 2
#58174 29/10/03 12:06 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
D3m0n:

User consensus taken from a multitude of IRC channels and networks is this. mIRC should not display smileys by default for any reason. It shouldn't even have support for them. Otherwise everyone's going to move to another client smile

Adding internal JPG support is one of those 'makes sense' functions considering BMP in raw format is just so huge. JPG is the absolute standard in image compression on the internet. This isn't an aesthetic appeal, this is just one of those "it makes sense to have it" ideas.

Now if people started begging for splay to support ogg vorbis or AAC or any other format, I'd complain about that, too smile mp3 makes sense for functionality again for the same reason jpg > bmp.

#58175 29/10/03 12:25 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
OGG Vorbis is already supported, it just requires that you've installed the correct add-in for media player.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#58176 29/10/03 06:19 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I support his/her suggestion. The client shouldn't judge your reasons for doing such a thing (not wanting to even see a nickname in any way), so (s)he thought it would be nice if it just offered the option. Which you, who doesn't support it, would choose to NOT USE IT if it's added.

Again, I say: you can't argue about the personal usefullness/value of this and that suggestions. It varies. You're not entitled to say which usage of any feature is wrong when it's exactly what a person wants and suggests.
Personal opinions about smilies, for example, don't count at the end. Principally since it would obviously be an OPTIONAL thing. No one would quit mIRC because of an OPTIONAL thing.
As for the ignore suggestion, "Why would you use this, some type of love affair?", damn, that's simply rude. Again, you show no respect at all.

If you managed to discuss POLITELY why should anything be added, rather than diminishing the suggestion with PEJORATIVE usage examples, then I'd say please go ahead. But you're not doing so.
Khaled already filters the suggestions himself. It's simple as that. Please stop trying to do this job. You'd fail with such rudeness, anyway.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#58177 29/10/03 10:13 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Adding the ability to remove a person from the nicklist would then have to move on to remove that person from /who responses, remove that person for the IAL, remove the person from /names, etc.

What about /whois?

Then everything on IRC is based on ADDRESSES (I'm not sure if the starter of this topic is aware of that or not at this point), so you'd then have to filter out addresses. There is no perfect address filter unless this person is on a completely static host with a single ident. Once the IP changes, or the nick changes, or the ident changes, this person is back on your radar. *OR* you end up blocking other people off of the map *@*.catonv01.md.comcast.net would block the ENTIRE Catonsville, Maryland area.

All because a person has some beef with a person and doesn't see them on the nicklist? If this person caused so much trouble somewhere, you shouldn't have a problem contacting an operator of the channel to deal with the person accordingly.

That is unless it's a channel where it really doesn't matter who you are because it's run by a large group of operators?

Here's my suggestion: IT'S ONLY IRC! Get over it.

#58178 29/10/03 10:14 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
Quote:

Adding internal JPG support is one of those 'makes sense' functions considering BMP in raw format is just so huge. JPG is the absolute standard in image compression on the internet. This isn't an aesthetic appeal, this is just one of those "it makes sense to have it" ideas.

ok adding of jpg support was not added for asthetics?
please read the dictionary definition of asthetics and then find out exactly what a jpg is. actually nm ill simplify it all for u. asthetics is in a nutshell visually apealing to the eye, now a .jpg is an image file NOT A TEXT FILE. hence it was added for asthetics, and even beyond that, a bpm is also an IMAGE FILE. you actually should read your post and see how little sense u actually make? i dont care about your general concenses poll youve done, look at the slew of new irc clients that do support all this im suggesting?. and tell me that these other clients just added it just because. there is obviously a call or need or even demand for it, search the forums here and u can see how many times just the emoticons support has been asked for, there is a call for it and your simpley speaking out of your own opinion, which you are intitled to, but dont go tossing in saying youve researched it and there absolutly is not need for it and its useless, just because you and 5 of your buddies dont want it doesnt mean someone else doesnt. thats just plain being ignorant.infact im just done debating this with you. khaled can infact make his own judgement without the help or support of you and yur 5 buddies poll u done. ppl that stand in the way of progress usually get run over.

D3m0nnet.com
#58179 29/10/03 10:23 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
BMP support can be functional for picture windows, though picture windows haven't really been used in very many scripts, though I'm sure that they were put there at some point to be some sort of 'whiteboard' feature, maybe, maybe not. They can also be used as splash screens.

Since BMP support was already there, given the general size of a BMP and how well it can be compressed to a JPG (which is practically the internet standard) with little noticeable reduction in quality, generally speaking it made a whole lot of sense to use JPGs. The support for BMP (like many other functions that are superceded) is left there as to not break as much in terms of older scripts.

#58180 29/10/03 10:26 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Btw, what new IRC clients support smileys?

Klient nor HydraIRC support them. Those are fairly new, and have a long way to go, and are far more 'updated' than mIRC in terms of how it works.

Please, point some out to me.

#58181 29/10/03 11:22 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
All because a person has some beef with a person and doesn't see them on the nicklist?

All what? All you said have anything to do with the suggested feature. It's only /ignore with the ability of not SEEING the nick in the NICKLIST. This doesn't mean mIRC would ignore it in the IAL, or that it should not /whois it. I don't get how could you think of these arguments, since /ignore doesn't do anything like that anyway. All these situations would stay the same. What about the pointless addresses argument? The user will deal with the format (s)he uses, just like we currently do. Now I repeat, all what? All nothing. It's a damn minor change which you could just not use, like I don't use a lot of things already.

About judging reasons for using this feature? I'd say get over it, it's only being suggested. No one here must explain why would it be used, and you're not entitled to judge its usage this way you're doing.

Last edited by cold; 29/10/03 11:30 PM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#58182 29/10/03 11:50 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Well it is possible that someone may have an offensive or rude nickname. If you have children around you, You may not want them to see it. Also you personally might be offended by it. If there is no operator present, You would have to leave. An answer to this would be to have the nick removed from the list. Just because someone would want this, Doesn't mean they "are the one with issues", at all.

I would suggest using /cline to set the offending nickname the same color as your listbox, as a temporary workaround.

Also, if you could apply mIRC's full library of window listbox manipulating commands, to a channel window, it could be very useful to scripters. I am scripter and I know I would find uses for it.

#58183 30/10/03 12:05 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
Btw, what new IRC clients support smileys?

Klient nor HydraIRC support them. Those are fairly new, and have a long way to go, and are far more 'updated' than mIRC in terms of how it works.

Please, point some out to me.

Why are you banging on about smilies so much. They were only mentioned as one possible use of image support. Yet you have singled it out. There are indeed other clients that support emoticons - And the point is that there existence shoots down your arguement of technical barriers.

mIRC isn't just your IRC client. Lot's of people have requested this, And It would not affect you if it was added, As no doubt it would be disabled by default.

#58184 30/10/03 12:17 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
What clients?

#58185 30/10/03 12:20 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
(General Reply): Can we talk about the /ignore feature?

* Raccoon gnaws on your mouse if you think about replying.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#58186 30/10/03 12:23 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
check the rest of my posts and find the small list i gave, and really i said from the begining smilies was another example, not THE example i gave, im done debating it with you as i can see that u can not read. and your right raccoon lets getback on the original topic of adding the abikity to control mirc nicklist more. yes i agree it should be added.

D3m0nnet.com
#58187 30/10/03 07:50 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
And then what if someone mentioned that guys nick? The ignore feature would have to be expanded to automatically filter out all lines that contain the nick. And suddenly you're listening in on half a conversation. And the same with other bad words you define, mIRC would have to filter those out too. The chatwindow would become a mess, with you only getting half the text spoken. You would no longer be able to actually chat, because it's flatout stupid to try to interact with other people when you only see half the text spoken. Kinda defeats the entire purpose.

PS: this was not the original subject of the thread, agreed.

PPS: the proposal of using /ignore as some kind of bad word filter sucks. This for the following reasons:
* The average child will be a lot better with computers than the average parent (remember - WE may know what we are doing, 99% of the mIRC users does not)
* What about different languages? Some bad words in one language are perfectly normal words in another.
* What about words with a double meaning? Suppose you filter out a word like 'dick'. What of the child who wants to talk to his friend called Dick? What about the word bitch, if a child is having an online discussion about a female dog?
* I also feel it is not mIRC's task to "protect" children against the big bad world. I think in cases like this, some official parties are becoming way too overprotective.

The only solution is: if you don't want your kids exposed to bad words, then keep them locked in their room. Besides, they'll pick up moree bad stuff in schools than on IRC. You may be able to control your what your kids do at home, but you cannot control who they talk to outside your house, and you cannot control what the kids they talk to do at their homes.

When you allow kids on a medium such as mIRC, you must expect hem to be exposed to some bad stuff.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#58188 30/10/03 12:41 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The whole point of ignoring someone is to only get half of the conversation. This much is inevitable no matter what you use the /ignore feature for. You /ignore someone, part of the conversation goes bye-bye.

PS. Many people censor conversation to prevent it from reaching their own eyes. Let the kids immerse themselves in a deluge of sluge.

The only related suggests I see in this thread are those I and the original poster made: The ability to /ignore someone and erase their past via /dline and /aline commands in both the nicklist and text portions of a channel.

This is already possible today with mIRC's current logic and would have zero impact on mIRC's general performance if it were allowed. As far as I can tell, /dline and /aline were simply locked from being used in channel windows a long time ago, for what reason I do not know. I can only gander that $nick($chan,...) gathers its data from the nicklist and removing names would effect that function... so /dline was prohibited from being used in a channel's nicklist and susequently its text portion too.

All I ask is for this lock to be removed.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#58189 30/10/03 08:14 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It shouldn't even have support for them. Otherwise everyone's going to move to another client

I wouldn't change to another programme if mIRC started to support smileys. What I 'might' do is turn the feature off at times. I do note that smileys do not lag any other programme that supports them so I fail to see why mIRC would be disadvantaged. At any rate computers are so powerful now that any difference would be very hard to spot.

Your whole assertion about people's preferences is completely wrong.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard