Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58154 28/10/03 10:22 PM
T
Trashy Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Would it be possible to have an ignore flag implemented that would remove the user's nick from our client's nicklist (from all channels). Even though they are there, they wouldn't be seen. Ignoring to this degree may seem extreme, but some people exist you may just would rather believe didn't. This feature would take care of that nicely.

I am not a coder, nor do I script within mIRC. If this could be implemented that would be great. Cheers.

#58155 28/10/03 10:35 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
ay, I agree 110% and feel this feature would benifit everyone.

It would also be nice if one could /dline (delete lines) of text from a channel, so when you ignore someone you can erase their past aswell. This would be especially useful for people who flood or say nasty things. /clear is not a valid option.

I say we should have complete control over all windows, not just custom windows.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#58156 28/10/03 11:32 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
id love the ability to add delete and even change nicks in nicklist along with being able to change the prefixs used to apply to nicks in channels and windows as well. id love to be able to add small icons inplace of prefixes, id love to be able to make in my mirc (not globally just locally) that when i whois ppl from say argentina , im able to add alil argentina flag, and so on and so fourth, there are thousands of things that could be used by adding this ability, even the ability to add your own smileis that u can see just locally not globally. i dont care if ppl see my : ) as a smile or whatnot i just wanna be able to see it myself. i know its not really a good example but really just being able to replace certain text with images would make things alot nicer to theme. having complete control over the nicklist would be another, id like to also be able to adjust its hieght not just wits width. id like to be able to add small buttons below it for use in quick shortcuts, yes i know u can create your own /alias stuff but dammit i bought a mouse to clickity click with LoL. Anyhow thats all my 2 cents. change please? LoL

D3m0nnet.com
#58157 28/10/03 11:48 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
People, from what I can tell, there's only so damn much you can do with the window types that mIRC uses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doing such things would require a complete re-write of the back end and force unnecessary text processing on EVERY line, all so you can have a smiley of some sorts.

It's completely and utterly pointless for IRC clients to do this, it's not AOL chat.

This is like asking Microsoft to implement smiley faces into telnet.......

As for ignoring people entirely? Just ban them from the channel if you don't want them around? What does it matter that their nick is in your nicklist, some type of love affair with this person gone wrong?

The fact is, whether or not you see it in the nicklist doesn't necessarily mean that person isn't there, and that person is now wasting extra cpu cycles on your computer because mIRC has to actually make an extra statement for if that person's hostname shows up to remove them.

The data that the person has is still coming through your client anyway. I suggest using the /silence function that some servers implement.

Raccoon: Though I agree with you for conformity's sake to make all windows behave similarly, where would this benefit? Not to shoot the idea down, but this would mean that now all window processing is now done outside of the compiler and in runtime script code (slow). I would personally prefer channel windows, status windows, and query windows, pretty much main functions of mIRC, to operate as quickly as possible.

#58158 28/10/03 11:54 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i made other suggestions besides smileys i think u should read alil better, and mirc ALREADY checkes everything with on TEXT events. now what would need to be added to modify that extra work u think mirc is doing?? now i might agree with u that mirc windows displays may need a complete rewrite. but then again, how is it custom windows created in mirc are able to use images in them? i think ppl like u just like to comment about something without thinking them thru coherently. yes mirc is text based chat program, im not asking that i want to add smiles to my text, im asking for basically mirc to be able to support images in text not just smiles read the whole post next time. im also asking it be possible in the nicklist to be modifyable. why everytime someone suggests something that is completely in the scope of possibility do u ppl act so narrow minded as to think its not what u want, hell ive seen several things added i dont want and wont use but i have to live with that dont i?

D3m0nnet.com
#58159 29/10/03 12:03 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
First:

Checking with on text events and completely re-displaying how text is displayed into images is completely different. ON TEXT is looking for a matching event, but you're talking something completely different.

Now, where are we going with this pictures in text thing? You mean replace LOL with a cutesy little image that says "LOL!" AOL-like? Eh, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Okay. So then it comes to the point where people start begging "OH OH NOW THAT MIRC SUPPORTS PICTURES IN TEXT, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEND THAT PICTURE TO OTHER PEOPLE!". Then we'll get back into this same debate with such people trying to explain to them that fundamentally this would NEVER work outside of a DCC. Of course, these are the same people who have no idea what the concept of how to use DCC anyways.

Not to burst your bubble, but there should be a level of uniformity between IRC clients and servers. If the server doesn't support pictures going through it, then the IRC client really doesn't need to display pictures in text.

Find me any other Windows-based IRC client that handles the text this way and get back to me on it.

#58160 29/10/03 12:09 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
kvirc, klient,and several other irc clients support this format infact go to the kvirc website and veiw screen shots, there got back to ya, touchee. i think u better AGAIN read what i said and understand what GLOBALLY and LOCALLY mean. and yes all it needs is to be done thru ON TEXT and just at most add image support identifiers for replacement. i doubt highly any window rewrite would even be needed, as with dll i can obtain icons in the nicklist already so really your trying to shoot me down for what reason? ive killed all ur arguements let it go, u lost this one.

D3m0nnet.com
#58161 29/10/03 12:11 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
So you can do it with a DLL, why complain over forcing this feature into mIRC?

This is why Khaled added DLL support, folks. So less and less time has to be spent requesting completely useless(i.e. non-functional based) features to the client.

I say take advantage of it.

#58162 29/10/03 12:17 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i said in the nicklist, not in the chat windows, again your not reading. and i gave uses that id like to use it for, so what if u wouldnt use it for anything, your completely free NOT to use an option that mirc supports( or could support) im sure there are several useless functions u dont use already added into mirc. so why deprive others of it because u dont like it? Ya know back before mirc became multi server several ppl argued they wouldnt use it, now if it were to be taken away alot would complain. you just have no vision.

D3m0nnet.com
#58163 29/10/03 12:23 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Actually, there is not a function in mIRC's scripting that I don't believe I've ever not used, except COM objects and DDE....simply because at this point in time I never bothered about using them.

Who argued multi-server would be a useless function? I didn't meet anyone on IRC ever that didn't want a multi-server feature to mIRC, this coming especially someone like myself who makes VERY HEAVY use of it. There are a few things I'd like to add, example, on *:text:<text>:<channel>:<network>:{ }, but otherwise it works very well.....with the exception of a bit of cpu usage concerns that I made in the bug reports section.

Again, this is a completely aesthetic option to mIRC that you're requesting, i.e. using icons and images to represent text, and it's really not a functional feature, so I say stick with the DLL support. That's why it exists.

#58164 29/10/03 12:26 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you're talking about speed, the text sent to these windows are already processed through On TEXT and other channel events. All I'm asking is to UNLOCK the commands /aline and /dline et al, which presently refuse to work in #channel windows. Enabling these on-demand commands should have zero effect on the speed that text and events are written to it.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#58165 29/10/03 12:30 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Actually Raccoon, to specify, my comments about using extra cpu time to process lines was in reference to the comments about wanting to use smilies and images in the text.

Aline and Dline could be useful, but then again text scrolls by so quickly in the window, that you'd end up having to check for the line # on every time smile

Unless of course you are specifically meaning just the nicklist...

Eh, it might have some use smile

#58166 29/10/03 12:33 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
check hoe many options have been added to mirc just for the sake of asthetic appeal, IE background images and ability to change backgrounds and icon images, removing toolbars and other things like that. now your telling someone who would like to see this type of stuff enhanced and added more to asking unreasonable requests? i dont think thats the case, and i dont think u or anyone else has any right to say its not acceptable to ask this stuff. im not asking to any irc protocal changes, just even more scripting ability to be able to enhance the over all appearance to mirc, im sorry u feel thats not something that mirc should be able to have is more scripting support for advanced themes and such, and along with implementing what im asking it would also cover other ppls request for the ability to see smiles, so its killing 2 birds with one stone? how is this a bad thing?

D3m0nnet.com
#58167 29/10/03 01:59 AM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
actually i agree with demon on this. "theres only so much a window can do" actually mirc has barely touched what a window can do. even picwins are very limited in alot of aspects. if someone were to make a list of all the things that arent a MUST in mIRC that list would grow in heaps and bounds by every version. in fact what do you really need? a way to connect to a network a window to display text in and an edit box to send it. it works but what kind of experience would the user get from it? as for the nicklist it wouldnt take alot of processor power to do. i have a dll that does it quite nicely. having more control over the nicklist built in would be a great improvement. as for emoticons i can take it or leave it. the point here is none of it would be sent to the server. all the server gets is the plain text form mirc translates it (if the option is enabled). this will indeed take more process power to do but not ridiculously so. for those of you who join mp3 channels and others where text is flying by at 1000 lines per second well you may wish to disable this option.

point is new features is the idea of progress. we could all be using windows 1.0 still as well but we dont.

Have Fun smile
#58168 29/10/03 03:19 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
With all do respect, Demon, I would never want to see full flexibility of the appearance of mIRC with a runtime compiled script. Such things become ridiculous and would probably end up a complete and ungodly mess for the simple reason that it was NOT coded for this beforehand.

Just take a look at why mIRC doesn't support unicode and probably won't. Ask the guys at Cerulean Studios about this......

I seriously doubt it's more than just a 'simple request' to do it internally. If your DLLs provide the functionality, then that's cool, but I doubt it could be done internally with 'ease'.

#58169 29/10/03 03:30 AM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
A lot of the options added for the sake of appeal were added prior to DLL support. This was one of the reasons for DLL support I would imagine, at least, one of the many reasons.

There should generally be no need to request many more features for mIRC in terms of aesthetic appeal that cannot be done with some form of DLL now.

Now with that said, just to clear something up, i would imagine there couldn't be a dline -l or aline -l to a channel window, otherwise it would break mIRC's nicklist handling. I would imagine it doesn't keep an internal buffer of users in a channel aside from reading from the nicklist? Who knows, but that's how I would do it....since normally you shouldn't change that anyway?

#58170 29/10/03 03:43 AM
T
Trashy Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
<b>As for ignoring people entirely? Just ban them from the channel if you don't want them around? What does it matter that their nick is in your nicklist, some type of love affair with this person gone wrong?</b>

Okay, this thread has gooten way off topic. If I do not have ban privileges (i.e. I am not an op), I want to COMPLETELY ignore someone's existence there is nothing that I can do. Ignoreing there presecnce on my nicklist would accomplish this. I don't care if they were in channel or not. Because they are there bothers me, or anyone else with the same concern. There is nothing we can do because we are not op'd on the channel(s) they are on. The only thing we'd be able to do is to ignore them scompletely (and this includes nicklist).

Please include this in the next release. I would *GREATLY* appreciate this addition to mIRC. Thank You!

#58171 29/10/03 03:51 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok since uve addressed this in a 2 part deal ill try to cover it all in one place. now uve stated that it is your beleif that the reason mirc doesnt support stuff is because it wasnt coded for it beforehand, and uve used the example of unicode support, well im sorry to shoot your idea down yet again on that but, khaled himself stated he will infact be adding this to mirc via UTF-8, im not making this up it is a fact khaled himself stated it will be added at some point in the near future. now with that said, whats to stop khaled from adding anything else? answer is nothing. now lets try to cover your second post.

DLL support, ok yes u may have a point asthetic changes where mostly aded to mirc before dll support, ok then how many times has khaled changed dialogs look and appearance since dll support? ive noticed it 3 times in the recent past. and just in 6.1 versions .txt hes added undated jpg support(Asthetics). so again the dll idea isnt really true, infact isnt almost all of the additions and fixes to mirc in someway related to mirc appearance or operation, and really as mirc was back in version 3 it had all the functionality and visual appearance it really need just to be a chat client? yet its still developed, ironic isnt it. ill leave u with this, if mirc does not grow as a client then it will surely die, so additions and suggestions from its users should be something it atleast tries to implement, this is the best way i can think of to make the best of both worlds , where users want emoticons and others dont, its then turned scriptable and even highly configurable, basically what mirc has always aimed to be. again how am i wrong?

D3m0nnet.com
#58172 29/10/03 11:12 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
The problem with removing a nick from the nicklist because you don't want to see it is a mute one imho. Don't look at him. If you /ignore a user, for all reasons and purposes, the user no longer exists to you. I don't see an additional benefit in removing his nick from the list.

That said, the nicklist displays the nicks that are in the channel. To not make it display all of them defeats the entire purpose of having one to begin with.

I also believe (personal opinion !!! ) that if you don't even wanna see a user's nick being the the channel, then
a] apparantly you are the one having issues, not the user in question
b] you don't care if the user is there, but apparantly you care enough about the user to make sure whether he is in the channel or not.

Just stop thinking about the user, don't pay attention to the nicklist.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#58173 29/10/03 12:02 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Find a new channel to hang out in if certain people are that annoying smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard