mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
For those unaware, the /notify feature utilizes an IRC command ISON on most servers, except those that support the new WATCH command. mIRC sends an ISON packet every 30 seconds containing all of the names in your /notify list.

I would like to see 3 changes made to /notify to make it slightly more server friendly.

1. Network specific /notify lists. Yes, I know it's a PITA to make every little feature network specific, but I'm on 6 networks and have different buddies on each one. It only adds extra bytes to my ISON pollings and extra work to my On Notify events to check which $network they logged on.

2. Reduce the number of nicks sent in an ISON packet to necessary nicks only. People that are presently in a channel with you are -obviously- online, and don't need to be checked for every 30 seconds unless they part or quit.

3. Decrease the frequency of ISON checks from 30 seconds to 60 seconds. Doing this will half the bandwidth that an idling client produces. I would personally like an option to reduce this frequency to 300 seconds (5 minutes) as it's fairly unnecessary to know (for me anyway) exactly which minute a buddy of mine has signed on. More often than not it's someone else who signed on using their nick, and they quickly sign off again or get the treatment with NickServ.

(Edit: In addition to the last suggestion, you could also make SMART ISON checks... eg, if someone parts you can check if they quit after 10 seconds (many clients /part before /quit). If someone signs off you can check again in 10 seconds if they signed on again.)

These three things, amplified by millions of clients, should reduce gigabits of bandwidth consumed monthly by the mIRC collective. grin

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
I definately agree. constantly using /ison by the thousands of mIRC users (cuz mIRC kicks ass :tongue:) is definately bandwidth/processor intensive. I think there would be a signifigant improvement on many IRC servers if this could happen. also, perhaps mIRC could decrease how often /ison is sent when a user is idle. I know plenty of people who have notify lists a mile long that leave their comps on a server all day, eat, sleep, work, doesn't matter

Anyway, IMO this is a good idea

-TheXenocide
ParseMPopup
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Good idea. And I definitely agree the per network function of this.

I still stick by changing the behavior of events to be multi-server friendly.

ON *:TEXT:*help!*:#HELP:*:{ }

The last field denoting a $network name.

B
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
B
I agree, and ironically I registered here to make a topic on this exact subject. I have many nicknames in my notify list on one network that someone else I don't know uses on another, and writing code for each person would be a lot more unnecessary work, especially since there are so many of us with that problem. Would be a great addition, IMO.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
GREAT idea, TheXenocide!
Drop the ISON frequency to 5 or 10 minutes the person's $idle is >60 minutes.

Most channels I'm in, only 20% to 40% of the users actually participate in any given hour (sometimes as low as 5% or 0% at night when everyone's asleep). As a matter of fact, I'm going to script this right now to do my part.
Code:
On *:START: {
  .timerHOURBEAT -oi 0 3600 .signal hourbeat
  .timerMINUTEBEAT -oi 0 60 .signal minutebeat
}

On *:SIGNAL:HOURBEAT: if ( $idle > 3600 ) && ( !%notifyoff ) { .notify off | set %notifyoff 1 }
On *:SIGNAL:MINUTEBEAT: if ( $idle < 3600 ) && ( %notifyoff ) { .notify on | unset %notifyoff }

It's not the prettiest of code, but it's saving my server mucho notifyo bytaros. grin

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
for now you could use the: /notify <nick> <note> feature.
i add the network as the note then loop with $scon and $notify to make it do what i need.

new username: tidy_trax
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well this works only visually, the point is to stop sending/receiving useless notify data to/from the server.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
true ;\

new username: tidy_trax

Link Copied to Clipboard