mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I have no clue if a similar idea was posted.

Instead of bothering to cram the topic into the mIRC titlebar there should be a bar that goes at the top of the channel window that shows the channel's topic. I always find myself scrolling up or typing '//topic #' to gets links and news. This feature is best expressed in Conference Room's 1.x java client.

Another idea is to make the nicklist (and probably the channel bar) easily collapsable if you need more room to see text.

One last thing... is there any chance of adding italic support to mIRC? They have bold... why not italic?

Babel fish
Babel fish
Actually, in 6.12, you can auto hide the nick list. Just right-click on the channel button, click on nicklist... and choose auto-hide nicklist. You can choose to make it the channel default too. grin

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
The idea of a channel toolbar has been previously suggested.

It is also rather easy to create one yourself.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
One last thing... is there any chance of adding italic support to mIRC? They have bold... why not italic?

At a guess, I would say the lack of italic text capability stems back to when IRC was just for terminal IRC clients. The Linux terminal, for example, is able to display normal, coloured, bold and underlined text. I have personally never seen any italic text in terminal programs which leads me to assume it is not capable of rendering it (if anyone knows differently, please correct me).

If mIRC were to adopt italic text, it would be incompatible with those people using terminal clients (BitchX, Irssi, Ircii..etc..) and there's still alot of them around. Also, every other client would have to incorporate it too just in order to maintain mIRC compatibility. That strikes me as a big pain in the backside, just so that a piece of text can lean a little toward the right :tongue:

Last edited by DekuHaze; 27/10/03 12:21 PM.
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
This is no longer old terminal style IRC. I think that italic could be worked into IRC just as color was. I quite often find myself stressing a certain word when I'm typing... and bold or underline just don't express what I'm trying to say correctly. It is afterall one of the original markup tags in HTML. The only problem I see is a shortcut key that makes sense. Control + I is already taken. As far as backwards compatibility is concerned... all the old mIRC users would see just a symbol that marks where italic begins and ends. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the nicklist hide thing, now to find one for the channel bar. :tongue:

Last edited by MDConker; 27/10/03 05:41 PM.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
CTRL+R is already used as Italic on some clients??

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
As far as backwards compatibility is concerned... all the old mIRC users would see just a symbol that marks where italic begins and ends.

It's not the backwards compatibility I am bothered about. It the fact that every other client (xchat, Klient...etc...) will have to go out of their way just to incorporate something that just one client happens to use in order to maintain compatibility. Might as well start adding graphical smilies too....

Quote:
This is no longer old terminal style IRC

Whilst mIRC is not a terminal client, there are still lots of terminal client users out there (myself included, from time to time). Naturally, I can only speak for myself but I don't wanna see italic-markers in the middle of lines of text. Of course, the other option would be to use a client that does support italic text. But why should I have to do that in order to keep compatibility with a client that would now be taking a dictatorship role (add this feature or become incompatible (very Microsoft-esq)) rather than its current placid role?

What I'm trying to say in a long-winded kinda way is that there is a standard which was defined by, and is still used by, terminal clients. Straying from that standard is... well... an ungood thing for everyone else as the choice would be "incorporate or face incompatibility" frown

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not to completly disagree with you deku, but your argument is kinda week. As far as "As far as backwards compatibility is concerned... all the old mIRC users would see just a symbol that marks where italic begins and ends." What would there be as far as a "simble" in the text? Mirc currently uses ASCII characters as it is, and would just take another one to provide underline. Whatever character Khaled (if he does) used, it would display just as well as if he never added it at all.

"Might as well start adding graphical smilies too...."

Now you're referencing something that is enterpreted client side, with something that is sent over the server. If smilies were ever added, it wouldn't send .bmp|.gif|.jpg over the network, just a :[b][/b]-) like aim.

What you see:
<KingTomato> How's it going, everyone? grin
Sent to server:
PRIVMSG #somechan :How's it going, everyone? laugh

So that argument is void.

Personally, i could care less if Italics were added, but kind of lean towards a yes. There are times where an italic would fit better than say reverse/bold/underline. Again, it would just take another char between 0-255 to enable "italic", so there wouldn't beany new "funky" characters to hide/show/watever.

-KingTomato
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
The bit about the smilies was just a comment, not an arguement :tongue:

However, I respect your opinion and that of the original poster's. But why break a pre-defined standard in order to achieve something that can be done by existing methods (such as bolding, underlining, capitalisation and verious combinations)?

If this italics method can be achieved in a seamless way that doesn't interfere by means of incompatibility with other clients then sure, two thumbs up smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Excuse me? Standard? I believe the RFC For the IRC protocol does not metion bold, color, underline, nor referse font styles. So what exactly do you mean by standard?

As far as interfering, how would it? Again, it would use an existing character in the ASCII (just as color, bold, etc uses) and assign it a value of italic. There is nothing to "break" the other programs. If they can handle 256 characters, they surly can handle underline.

-KingTomato
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
By standard I mean the unwritten standard set by the original terminal clients. As I said above, it appears to me (but I could be wrong, and if I am so be it) that what the terminal clients could do was limited by the terminal. Now, a terminal (BASH, for my example) is able to do those colours, bold fonts, underline but it doesn't appear (at least I personally have never seen it) to be able to produce italic text. If this is not the case, then fine...

By interfere, I mean the displaying of the italic markers by clients that don't support italics. It would be annoying to see 'em smile

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Deku, let's not kid ourselves here. mIRC is the world's leading IRC client. I think Khaled should continue to add things that make IRC a richer experience. If plain text is good for you, then by all means chat with your girlfriend on a typewriter. Hours of fun. shocked

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Will adding italic text REALLY make people's IRC experience that much richer? I suspect not...

Quote:
If plain text is good for you, then by all means chat with your girlfriend on a typewriter

Let's not get personal, eh? smile

E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
Quote:
Will adding italic text REALLY make people's IRC experience that much richer? I suspect not...

Well let's see, let's take away all the colors, underline & bold,
the ability to play sound files, the perform on connect list, the
notify list & anything else you can think of that is not
necessary for a chat client to function and we'll see how
much richer of an experience you had before you took
away all that stuff.

Last edited by EVH; 27/10/03 09:55 PM.
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I don't use any of that stuff anyway... grin

E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
1) Yeah right.
2) So because you don't use it nobody else needs to either?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
1) It's true.
2) Alas, no smile

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
it will be better for spammers so they can use: JOIN #SPAM
smirk

new username: tidy_trax
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
hehehe grin

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Italics just add more options on how text looks. Don't get me started on strikethrough text. ;p

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard