mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#53348 10/10/03 07:57 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
RSS is nifty imho, but it hasn't really had a huge impact. I've talked to a lot (well, at least 1, ok maybe it was just an automatic system) of Australian web admins who seem... afraid... of it infact.

Does anyone here actually both possess and use a standalone or integrated RSS client?

Secondly, what do you lot think of adapting RSS to suit IRC - I've seen a website (can't remember its URL) that lists channels plus an activity, which I quite liked.

It would also be possible to do a similar thing with a mirc script - provide a basic XML RSS digest of current channels plus activity levels (assessed on active chatters vs silent ones, occurance of certain words like 'lol', which indicate a channel is both active and entertaining), with topic, channel url, irc:// link to it and everything.

I want other people's ideas and suggestions about adapting it. It'd be a very different approach to using a /list, but still have the same sort of effect. I think it'd also be a nice way to interact with IRC, kind of like a word of mouth on steriods.

Incase your wondering, I already have a RSS client for mirc, i'm just getting a little bogged down in the dynamic channel output stats majiggie.. Wow its 5am and it shows, dunnit.

What do you lot think?
Ideas?
Comments?

#53349 10/10/03 08:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
IFIRC.com has RSS and also uses it for some other websites in its admin panel.

I like the idea of intergrating into IRC - and after all, if RSS hasn't had an impact so far, perhaps adapting it would boost it's popularity smile

I'm not particularly creative, but the ideas that are currently bubbling up in your mind seem to be good. Can't think of anymore, not with my fatigue :P

Good luck.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#53350 11/10/03 03:20 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd like to see these forums take advantage of RSS so I can check for/ be notified of new posts and show an alert in my #mIRC window. I do this in #FlashFXP with their forum, it's great for getting a fast response to people's posts.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard