mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
I'm sick of boring default bland-panted error messages - why not do somehting likwe the paperclip in office. I know we all hate him, but thats becasue its a stupid clip and no one can feel much for a clip.

BUT here's the selling point: ALife Arnie.

Whenever a mirc dialog pops up, have our fav. green person pop up too and offer advice on solving it.
IE
Arnie: "It looks like your trying to connect to a network, and can't . Maybe you should keep doing it just to see what whacky error messages I can come up with! :P"

Give him a bunch of words he can randomly string togehter thatr all say the same sorta thing to get the feel of real dialogue.
Give him moods - if you don't listen to repeated error messages, make him cranky! instead of people swearing at the paperclip, let people be sworn at!

C'mon, it'd be fun! Or at least you could do something else with MS Agents

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Just to clarify, you are joking right?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I only have one word: BLOATWARE

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
A
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
A
LOL

Well maybe it would be a bit funnier than the default messages (i think i did get the point) but... i guess Khaled has more important things to work out... That whole thing about the MS agents doesn't offer any improvement at all, so i guess working on it is really nothing else than a waste of time.

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I would prefer getting an error like

"/if insufficient parameters (line 6, blah.tms)"

instead of

"hey you sucker! j00 got s0mething wrong in line6 blah.tms, /if has insufficient parameters!"

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
I totally and fully agree! mirc would be 100 times better with a charecter like that (btw i like F11, not the paper clip!!)

_________
may death strike you.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ner.

new username: tidy_trax
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah well if the paper clip were added to mIRC, it should be programmed with only one message:

"Hey, stop using mIRC and instead use <insert another IRC client here>"

Because if that paperclip keeps popping up, that's what people are going to do anyway.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
thats a neat idea...
you cant tell me that (personally i like F11, also) would just give u a slight cheering up on ur bad days, just little neat stuff that it would do...

and actually, if this was to be added, i would strive hard to get my reg money for mirc.

Last edited by ParaBrat; 08/10/03 04:34 AM.

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If by "slight cheering up" you mean "a fine reason to jab a knife into your neck," then I agree. Why would an annoying, stupid, non-functional paperclip cheer me up? When I'm using MS Office, and that paperclip pops up for whatever reason, all it does is make me one step closer to installing OpenOffice. I love when I'm busy typing away in Word and it just decides to say "It looks like your typing a letter" and steals the keyboard focus so that nothing I type actually gets written. It makes me so happy to have to redo things for no good reason. I'm sure I'd just love it if the same thing could happen in an IRC conversation.

I can't speak for everyone, but if an OfficeAssistant type of thing ever appeared in mIRC, I'd be using a different client. Even if it were optional, disabled by default, required you to download a special plugin, and explicitely go through 5 confirmation scripts before it were activated, I'd still be gone. The OfficeAssistant is imho MS's biggest screwup, I wouldn't have any part in seeing it spread it's vile infection to other programs.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
ehh its a pretty good idea i think it would help mirc if there was a little paper clip guy but he does get a bit annoying sometimes =/

Need amazing web design for low price: http://www.matrixn3t.net
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
agreed.

new username: tidy_trax
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
nah man, not at all, the office assistant is cool. plus it shouldnt matter if all those things were true, disabled, confirminations, seperate plugin... all of that, because then you aint got to worry about it. plus it wouldnt be like the office assistant, it would just do stuff on the screen... it wouldnt steal focus... anyway thats my general rough draft idea, it could be different, but adding this feature would definitly make mirc alot more fun wink

oh, aand it would probably be Arnie, not a paperclip...

also, office assistant does not bother me in the least.. he actually helps me (yeah ok confused ) when im doing stuff, to get it done, because i get breaks to watch him, and i dont have to sit and do nothing, and watch nothing but letters on the screen. (like i am now, an english assn.)

i personally get bothered when i dont see him.

Last edited by MTec89; 04/10/03 04:35 AM.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
nah man, not at all, the office assistant is cool. plus it shouldnt matter if all those things were true, disabled, confirminations, seperate plugin... all of that, because then you aint got to worry about it.

Not the way I see it. It's like saying having a nice deadly dose of nerve gas in your house is ok, as long as you keep it in a sealed container. Well, the fact that it is sealed doesn't change the fact that it is deadly. Same here, the fact that it is disabled doesn't change the fact that it is a piece of garbage that I don't want on my system.

Quote:
also, office assistant does not bother me in the least.. he actually helps me (yeah ok ) when im doing stuff, to get it done, because i get breaks to watch him, and i dont have to sit and do nothing, and watch nothing but letters on the screen. (like i am now, an english assn.)

You like it because it distracts you? You want to be distracted while you're doing work? Do you often fail when you write papers for school? I'd be willing to bet (crazy idea) that focusing on and paying attention to your assignment is a better way to do it than to need distractions.

Quote:
i personally get bothered when i dont see him.

There are trained mental health professionals that can help you solve that problem.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Why would it "help mIRC?" What benefit would it give mIRC? I can't see any gain. It would make mIRC larger (all the code to display that garbage), slower (displaying animations isn't super fast), etc. How exactly does that make mIRC better?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I dunno, but I'm rather fond of clippy... at least when he was younger in Office 97 or so.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some basic hand-holding interactive guide explaining the main essentials involved in connecting for the first time, though. I find myself repeating the same basic things whenever I tell someone to install mIRC, and a lot of this could be avoided if initial setup were made slightly clearer.

- Raccoon
"If only office supplies could talk to us -- the stories they'd tell."

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
You like it because it distracts you? You want to be distracted while you're doing work? Do you often fail when you write papers for school? I'd be willing to bet (crazy idea) that focusing on and paying attention to your assignment is a better way to do it than to need distractions.

i do fine in school. i just cant take doing nothing but working and typing for long periods of time.

Quote:
There are trained mental health professionals that can help you solve that problem.

theres nothing wrong with me, i just need my office assistant

and its not like IRC is a school project. it would be fine for little distractions like stuff the mirc assistant would do, becuase irc isnt a serious thing

Last edited by MTec89; 04/10/03 05:10 AM.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
i do fine in school. i just cant take doing nothing but working and typing for long periods of time

IRC isn't work, it's a distraction in itself for most people. It really is completely beyond me why people would use a chat client but would then need to see inane chatter and 'help' from a talking stuffed alligator/anthropomorphic representation of everything I hate about modern computing/paperclip - isn't inane chatter and 'help' what IRC is for?

I'm still holding on to a last thread of hope that the original suggestion was just a joke, I mean how could anyone not be filled with rage at the sight of that stupid bloody paperclip?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
I'm still holding on to a last thread of hope that the original suggestion was just a joke, I mean how could anyone not be filled with rage at the sight of that stupid bloody paperclip?

I honestly don't know. When I installed Word 97 6 years ago, and that thing popped up, I got rid of it as fast as I could. Also note that like the #1 question people ask about WinXP is "How do I get rid of that annoying dog that pops up in the search window?" Doesn't that suggest that most people hate these kinds of things?

I'm not a baby, I don't need a little paperclip to explain how to do things to me.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
I'm not a baby, I don't need a little paperclip to explain how to do things to me.

i dont think any one needs that stuff explained to them

its just a nice feature to add to mirc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard