mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
i hope you guys can explain to me what rooters or scanners are, and what they are doing?

greetz
frank

F
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
another thing i always wanted to know, is there any irc client that allows me to limited each transfer i have in progress?

lets say i am uploading to 2 usres and downloading from 3. is there any way to say each upload should be max 40 kb/s, and each download is limited with 20 kb/sec?

or is there some script out there that can handle it?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A router (rooter) or, to many, pronounced rowter, is a device that allows several computers to be connected to each other in order to inter-communicate. EG: Share files, share a connection to a WAN or another LAN, etc.

A scanner, well that can mean alot of things. A programme to check what ports you have open or a device to convert a photograph to a digital image.

And to my knowledge you cannot choke your uploads. The speed would be decided by the speed of your connection.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've never heard the term "rooter", but the root word "root" might be in reference to the act of hacking into and taking control (root access) of a machine.

I suppose you might call people who do this, rooters.. but most either refer to them as "skript kiddies" or label them under the general umbrella word hackers.

Also, to limit your Uplaod / Download speeds, try this program... NetLimiter.

Last edited by Raccoon; 01/09/03 09:33 PM.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ive seen these terms in reference to file sharing channels .. so im assuming rooter and scanners have something to do with "rooting" thru files of somekind ..... and "scanning" for something in the bots... again i dont know anything about filesharing rooms so all this is just a huge guess

D3m0nnet.com
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think he is referring to the fact that the word "router" can be pronounced "rooter" or "rowter".

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
you can do that with my web server
try it in
http://www.mircscripts.org/download.php?id=1898

R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
Yea... as far as I've understood, these are the most widely spread meanings of the words: a "scanner" is a program that scans for Internet computers vulnerable to certain security bugs, and a "rooter" is a program that actually seizes control of such a machine, making use of such vulnerabilities. I've also seen the people who make use of these kind of tools being called "scanners".

These terms are mostly being used in the warez (illegal file sharing) scene, where most victim hosts would be Windows machines, but apparently the act of becoming administrator remotely is still called "rooting"...

Link Copied to Clipboard