mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#45230 31/08/03 12:32 PM
A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
mad errrr ... what servers require a valid ctcp-version ? i have for many reasons a very basic client, which i use in paralell to mIRC for some protocol debugging ( it is preferable to me for the debug in mIRC since i have a window to show me all things in realtime ) it has not a "valid" ctcp version reply, on default it returns none, but can be set to return anything. no server ( efnet, dalnet, undernet, and some other small networks ) have kicked me out yet for that ... i'd say that 99% of servers do NOT require a valid version reply

and as for saving my life, let me tell you that i do not edit out version replies, but i do not see htf it will save my life in any way on IRC ( being an user since close 9 years now, more or less )

Sentinel scripter ( current version X, alpha )
#45231 31/08/03 12:43 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can thank Khaled for that, as he hasn't slipped up and left any gaping holes in mIRC lately.

But if he ever DID, then you would want the server to correctly identify your "broken client" for a mercy-kill.

___

type /motd and tell me what you see. Most will say something along these lines.

-         - All clients must conform to RFC standards. If your
-           client does not respond to CTCP's, you may be klined.
or
-       | |   o Clients must be RFC1459 compliant              | |

If you read RFC1459, it specifically states that all clients most respond with valid and accurate CTCP VERSION replies for the reasons I pointed out in my above posts.

Don't argue with me. RTFM. RTFMOTD.

- Raccoon

Last edited by Raccoon; 31/08/03 12:54 PM.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#45232 31/08/03 01:15 PM
A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
you did not tell me which server that was, but anyway, it doesn't matter, i won't stress the fact that i just asked an server administrator on Undernet ( no i am not BS'ing you here, i work at the same place where one of these runs ) and he told me that at least on the whole Undernet, which is one of the biggest networks you WONT get k:lined or g:lined or killed just because of a non valid CTCP-reply, there will be other reasons for it.

as for editing the mirc.exe, i forgot, i did that in every version, simply to resize the channel central, to make it wider, so i wouldn't need to scroll the bans lists, etc. i miss that indeed.

and if you do not want me to argue with you, you can put your rtfm just where the f tells you to cool

humm .. i just realised that all this energy i just spent, is for someone who is simply not worth it ... my bad, won't happen again.

Sentinel scripter ( current version X, alpha )
#45233 31/08/03 01:35 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Return CTCP or not wont get you k-lined.. for an example PSY-Bnc dont reply on anything when youre not connected.. not CTCP or Notice, it dont even tell you if your on the bnc or not.. if they started to k-line ppl that dont give "right" version reply, then many servers would be empty, many users that running eggdrop using a "fake" version reply, thats cos you arent allowed to run eggdrops on many servers, and if they dont suply any version reply, then maybe irc-ops start to look closer on that client.. and if you know somone that been k-lined for not reply on CTCP, then that person should be happy to get k-lined cos it show its a realy lame server/network, if you reply to a CTCP you can be flooded out from the server, same with notice and others.. so if you ignore CTCP, then you are more secure if somone trying to CTCP flood you with clones.. i for one ignore CTCP's in any form.. smirk

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#45234 31/08/03 01:43 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
By default, mIRC will only respond with 3 VERSION replies in 60 seconds (i think). If you make your own "replacement reply", then you would have to be responsible for creating your own anti-flood settings... which most people tend to neglect.

#45235 31/08/03 01:48 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I was forced to make my own.. i using a channel theme, and mirc sended me and others the text "flood cheq" or if it was "flood check" dont remember, but it was a pain in my b*tt, i messaged ppl i didnt know, and they started to think i was a moron or somthing, why did you message me that? and other questions, so i wrote my own flood pro, it will reply to 1 ctcp during 60 sec.. then it going to ignore, but for now i ignore every ctcp i got.. and it havent get me k-lined yet, and i hanging on the oper channels on that network.. and they do a check on ppl from time to time.. i think they looking for "war scripts" or somthing, dont know havent bother my self to ask why they doing it smile

by the way. default in mIRC the flood protection is set off.. you have to enable it your self.. anyway it was so in 6.03

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#45236 31/08/03 02:26 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
the VERSION flood protection I spoke of is low-level and overrides all other settings.

#45237 31/08/03 02:50 PM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Scripts that use dlls such as dmu and ktools have problems docking an mdx switchbar it seems, at least until the creators release a new version of the dlls.. thats all ive noticed for now

#45238 31/08/03 04:05 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
If you read RFC1459, it specifically states that all clients most respond with valid and accurate CTCP VERSION replies for the reasons I pointed out in my above posts. Don't argue with me. RTFM.

/me goes to read the RTFM (RFC1459). Searching RFC1459 for "CTCP" : Not found. Searching RFC1459 for "Client to Client Protocol" : Not found. Where does RFC1459 say anything about this? At the time RFC1459 was written, there was no such thing as CTCP. Now lets look at the CTCP specification. You say "valid and accurate" correct? Well, mIRC is neither. According to the CTCP specification, the format for a CTCP version reply is:
clientname:version:OS
for example:
mIRC:6.03:win32
Is that what your mIRC responds with? Because mine doesn't.

The general rule of thumb is a specific response, or even any response at all should NOT be required to any CTCP request. Any server that does require a CTCP response does not follow this. That is the IRC server's problem, not the client.

#45239 31/08/03 09:36 PM
H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
Just FYI I do not 'neglect' to write flood prot. for scripts.

Whatever most people do... I'm an individual.

Hobophobe

#45240 01/09/03 03:33 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are lucky enough to use a network that offers server-side flood protection via user modes then you should use that instead of halting events.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard