mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Look mommy! It's a loser!

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Why is he a loser? I'm glad he posted that. Now that Khaled sees how easy it is to get around his "protection" perhaps he'll realize how stupid it was to add it in the first place.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Until now you've been a staunch opponent of hacking software, as have I. By saying what you just said then you have jumped the fence though.

Z
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
Z
[We all know it's easily hackable, the crc is there to check for the integrity of the official mIRC distribution]

Last edited by Khaled; 30/08/03 07:51 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
elite rebel ;]

new username: tidy_trax
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Tying you up and giving you a good flogging with the Cat' would be a good idea too. blush

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I am against hacking software. However, Racoon convinced me that people who use res-editors to translate mIRC aren't really hacking. I don't think it is a crime that they want to be able to use mIRC in other languages. I don't support the people who are trying to change version replies or anything like that, but I think translating is a legitimate reason to use a resource editor, especially if you are in a country where that is not illegal.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To me there's no moral difference between changing the version reply or the mechanism that is meant to either stop that or stop something else in the .exe being interfered with. Opening the .exe == opening the .exe. I've opened it before and experimented on my own computer as a learning experience. What I haven't done is what this git did and posted what I found out or a workaround for a security feature. Yet you clearly support it. The fact that he had his original attempt at stardom edited provides consensus that what he did was just plain stupid.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I don't support people doing things illegally, and I don't support hexing programs. However I also don't support such crude devices to try and stop people from doing such things. As I said, in some countries res editing is very much legal, and to prevent those people from exercising their legal rights, imho is just wrong. As was already shown, the people who want to edit mIRC to change the version replies are going to figure it out, they already have. The only people who are going to be hurt are the people who are doing this legitimately. If Khaled would have added translation support to 6.1 you wouldn't be hearing this from me, however, that was yet another feature suggestion that was neglected.

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
What I see is that everyone want mIRC be as they would imagine it for them... mIRC is something made by Khaled... want something to be as you want it? Code it yourself!! Imagine Khaled scripting mIRC version FunChatter, mIRC version lolo66, mIRC version Watchdog, mIRC version.... X!! There are millions of users allover the world... we can't allways have what we want!! The only posts I see lately up here is people bitching about 6.1.. you don't like it? Don't use it!! Either use an older version either use another client...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ohhhhhh so it comes down to translations now. Well I'm hopping off the merry-go-round before I get giddy.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
What I see is that everyone want mIRC be as they would imagine it for them... mIRC is something made by Khaled... want something to be as you want it? Code it yourself!! Imagine Khaled scripting mIRC version FunChatter, mIRC version lolo66, mIRC version Watchdog, mIRC version.... X!! There are millions of users allover the world... we can't allways have what we want!! The only posts I see lately up here is people bitching about 6.1.. you don't like it? Don't use it!! Either use an older version either use another client...

First off I'm NOT using 6.1, and many people here who are complaining also are not using it. We are just trying to get Khaled to reconsider some of his changes. Secondly, NO you can't please everyone, but you can please many people. You allow for customization, something that has been suggested numerous times, skinning support has been suggested probably a hundred times. That would correct _every_ single interface issue people bring up. If you don't like the interface, you change it. Secondly, you shouldn't have to write your own program, coders should listen to their users. It isn't other programmers that are paying Khaled, it is the mIRC users. If the mIRC users are unhappy, Khaled doesn't make money. I'm not saying tailor mIRC to each user, I'm saying LISTEN to the users. Add features the USER wants, don't add features the user's don't want. And, if it is a split between what people want and don't want, make it an option. Remember how when (I think it was 6.0) was released and everyone complained about the changes with the borders and such? Next release there was the new "visual styles" setting. Why can't the same thing be done when other interface changes are made?

How could all of this complaining have been prevented?
PUBLISH A TODO LIST. If Khaled would have made his todo/changes list known, perhaps even showing a few screenshots of the new mIRC, he would have seen _before_ 6.03 was released that some of the features were not going to be as popular as he had hoped. Again, I'm not saying remove them, I'm just saying, make them an option. If I like the way it is now, why should I be forced to change? Why can't there be a "preserve classic interface" checkbox?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
We're not bitching, we're providing constructive critisism.

There are many features we love and praise in v6.1, and there are many we sadly dislike. If we should keep critical opinions to ourselves, then we may as well shun praises aswell.

* Raccoon returns to reading the interesting arguements both Watchdog and codemaster are shelling out.

This is an intellectual form for intellectual people capable of intellectually appreciating posts of intellect by intellectually minded intellects.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
agreed, mirc has not become the awesome client it has by only seeking only positive opinions. im sure everyones voice is heard with respect to changes and fixes and addons. if it werent there wouldnt even be this forum. negative opinions have to be acceptable as much as positive ones. personally ive voiced mine over the new changes, and id rather keep on using 6.03 until something else comes out. im hoping this wont be a year in the making.

D3m0nnet.com
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Everyone jumped on Khaled... I'm not saying everyone isn't right but some of the things asked to be changed back to what they where are really useless..Get yourself at Khaled position, he tryed to make something good... witch at my opinion is good, and everyone jumps on him...and about the money thingy... c'mon! more than 50% of users not to say more than 70-80% do not register for mIRC and anyway it's not THAT much money....
I just don't like the way everyone jumps on him.. and I bet that most of the peoples who jump on him don't even have their clients registered!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard