mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#44591 28/08/03 03:49 PM
M
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
M
Anyone else noticed the fact that just about every IRC-script-related website is down? I think they even tried it with this site too, but as far as I see it's up (although yesterday I could not access the .co.uk address).

I've noticed a channel on DALnet - I won't advertise it here, but this is what the topic says:

Last Topic : owned: mirc.net/com/org/de/co.uk, jsab.net, mircx.com, mircscripts.org/com, mirc.stealth.net, scriptsdb.org, evilcoder.net, codefreak.net, team-clanx.net, elite-scriptaz.net - barbara come visit us [ new coders network be up within 24hours ]

This topic was set by the same person who supposedly took down ms.org a few weeks ago, and the channel is founded by a known packet kiddie.

Is anyone else of the opinion that this sort of thing is, obviously lame, however, also the fact that it's on the increase in all aspects of IRC? mad

What a surprise that the "known packet kiddie" is an AOL user smirk....

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
dunno if its just me, but: mircscripts.org and this site are going really really slow, whereas every other site goes fine. :tongue:

new username: tidy_trax
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
mirc.net/com/org/de/co.uk, jsab.net, mircx.com, mircscripts.org/com, mirc.stealth.net, scriptsdb.org, evilcoder.net, codefreak.net, team-clanx.net, elite-scriptaz.net are the sites being attacked, straight from the lamer's mouth (or at least one of them). They'd better arrest the bastard this time. If the guy who's claiming to be behind it (the guy who gave that list) really is then he's been attacking IRC sites and servers for years, something this big better get him jailed or *******. An extremely irritating pest.

Last edited by Krejt; 28/08/03 05:10 PM.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
yeah, ppl have been reporting sites down or very slow. Honestly tho, while its nice to keep ppl up to date, i'd as soon not get into lots of discussion about it here, why give the &*^%$* the attention they so obviously want.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Unfortunately, the US government's method of defining a "big" DDoS attack is one where approximately 10 million dollars in damage is caused...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Lets organize the admins of the effected sites to adjust their name servers to point to .gov and .mil sites. Then someone will take notice might-quick.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Probably, except, knowing the government, the people who did the redirection would be the only ones to go to jail.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Would take a bit of effort to figure that one out though. grin

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
M
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
M
It's 1 million dollars before the FBI would do anything.

And seeing as websites like microsoft.com and various government sites get attacked/attempted to be hacked every day/week, mirc.net/mircx.com/whatever is at the bottom of their list.

That's what it was like for DALnet anyway, they wouldnt take any notice of those attacks unless 1 million dollars damage was done. How they calculate it I don't know, seeing as it's global and then you have to ask - is it direct losses, or do indirect costs count too?

Either way, IRC is, for some reason, the least important thing to them - which, seeing as there's like over 1 million people on IRC at any one time (if not more) you'd think they'd take more notice.

<cliche>But it could be worse, we could be starving children in Africa.</cliche> wink

Happy chatting (if you can get online)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
It's $5,000. No, it's $100,000. No, it's ....! Bzzt, you're all wrong. My company lost a whopping $20 due to a denial of service attack, and the FBI was more than willing to assist. The precedent is set at $5000. However, they are allowed to help anyone who appears to have the need.

Acquire. Analyze. Adapt.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
So why does the NIPC, the division of the FBI that deals with cyber crime, lie and say it is $1 million? They not only lie on their website, they also lie when you have person to person correspondance with them as when I reported $50,000 in damages to them, and they told me they could do nothing due to the fact that the damages were below their minimum to begin an investigation. I'm more inclined to believe you are not remembering correctly rather than believe there is a covert conspiracy within the FBI to only investigate crimes reported by wshs.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah, you are right it is $1 million. And when calculating it, they only include "physical damage" for example, a router getting burned out. Things like "I pay $10 per GB of bandwidth and they used 10000GB of bandwidth" are not included.

W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
They also care if your company loses income or clients because of the attack. And I would kinda remember something that happened less than a month ago. If you just lose money due to a bandwidth bill, they aren't going to give a rat's ass, unless it's a significant amount.

Acquire. Analyze. Adapt.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
And you're telling me, the FBI launched an investigation, to recover your $20? The FBI decided to spend thousands of taxpayer's dollars to recover $20? If thats the case, please let me know so that I can write my congressmen to try and have whoever made that stupid decision fired and to make sure such a stupid action never occurs again.

W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
Perhaps there's more to the story than what I knew about, but I'm going to say yes. $20 and several clients. None of which has been recovered. I don't care about the money or the lost clients, I care about the packet kiddie getting what he deserves.

Acquire. Analyze. Adapt.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
hehe.. packet kiddies suck.. we had one atacking our channels and our ISP's.. he atacked me and my ISP traced him down.. he had to pay a huge amont of money.. "half of sweden wend down during the atack", then he had to face som jail time, i guess the BIG guys in there liked him as a pet.. and i cant understand what the fun in dos a site like this? no channels to take here.. no server to use and ride a split on.. so what do they get from doing this? it realy just suck.. frown

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }

Link Copied to Clipboard