mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Ive now switched off my windowsxp and norton firewall programs to see if that would solve my problem, but it still comes up with a 'unable to connect on 127.0.0.1' message or similar when I try and connect.

Ive noticed in the options menu, my system identity has been selected as unix automatically. Is this correct?

DCC ports are 1024 and 5000 automatically, and Im trying to connect to IRCchat, but I can never ever connect.

Would I be better off just e-mailing the makers of mIRC with my problem?

wDoes anyone know what are the vital options I should make sure are correct (apart from nickname, name etc) to ensure that it can connect? Nothing is working at all, and Im going off my &%*&^&* trying to get this %*&^ thing to work!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I believe the error you are experiencing is due to a server that no longer exists, and has been set to resolve to 127.0.0.1 (feedback loop) to keep connection traffic from reaching their site.

Update your server list from the mIRC Homepage (server seems to be down at the moment).

Another place you can find working/ active servers is here: http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/
_____

Yes, your Ident setting should say "UNIX". This is an obsolete option left for compatability, and should remain as "UNIX".

DCC ports should default to 1024-5000 and need only to be changed if you're behind a router and have to assign a specific range of ports to forward to your local machine.

Try connecting to <a href="irc://irc.efnet.org/" target="_blank">irc://irc.efnet.org/</a> or <a href="irc://irc.efnet.pl/" target="_blank">irc://irc.efnet.pl/</a> or <a href="irc://irc.efnet.nl/" target="_blank">irc://irc.efnet.nl/</a> before changing anything further.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
tried to connect to
<a href="irc://irc.efnet.org/" target="_blank">irc://irc.efnet.org/</a>
<a href="irc://irc.efnet.pl/" target="_blank">irc://irc.efnet.pl/</a> and <a href="irc://irc.efnet.nl/" target="_blank">irc://irc.efnet.nl/</a>

-but mIRC still states that the connection is refused and unable to connect.

There must be something Ive forgotten to do from within mIRC thats stopping me from accessing anything, Im sure it's simple enough but ive no idea what it could be. Im using the latest version of the program too

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Just as a note, when you are continuing talking about a problem, just continue on the original thread so that everyone is up to date with whats been going on.

i suspect Racoon is right, and the prob is what you are trying to connect to.

YOu need to have the boxes filled in at file/options/connect and under localinfo, check localhost and server and let mIRC try to get the rest. Make sure under options/firewall you have NONE.

Try these, one at a time. close the connect dialog and just type in your status window:
/server b0rk.uk.quakenet.org

if no luck, then try
/server 213.221.165.248

those are quakenet servers, not ircchat, just in case irchat is having probs

And no, no need to "just e-mailing the makers of mIRC with my problem". the author of mIRC created these forums so ppl can get help easily. (he gets thousands of emails every day)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Finding active servers that allow you to connect can sometimes be very difficult.

This day and age, more servers are limiting exactly who is allowed to connect to lessen the amount of abuse their server takes. I would again suggest trying the netsplit.de link I posted above.

Here are some of the EFNet servers I have success with.

irc.blessed.net irc.servercentral.net irc.desync.com irc.foxlink.net ircd.secsup.org irc.secsup.org irc.wh.verio.net irc.nac.net irc.homelien.no irc.dkom.at irc.inet.tele.dk irc.efnet.nl efnet.xs4all.nl efnet.skynet.be irc.banetele.no irc.efnet.pl irc.choopa.net irc.mindspring.com irc.dks.ca irc.weblook2k.com irc.Prison.NET irc.he.net

Of corse there are other IRC networks to choose from aswell.
These are just servers that I verified as working at this very moment.

Edit: or try the ones that Parabrat posted too.

- Raccoon

Last edited by Raccoon; 28/08/03 02:13 AM.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
The boxes were definately filled in at file/options/connect and under localinfo, check localhost and server.
Options/firewall setting was definately set to 'none'.

Im sure my norton firewall after installation has somehow changed some default settings concerning where I can connect to, (even if it is switched off or uninstalled), which is why ICQ and Kazaa(latest version) dont work wither.

I know someone who can use all these on XP, and configured the win xp firewall to work with mIRC using the same guide I found here, and didnt have any problems.

Does anyone know what this common connection problem with all these programs+mIRC could possibly be?

Link Copied to Clipboard