mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#42419 17/08/03 03:16 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I would like to see the BEL (Bell) character supported, once and for all.

I understand why Khaled never implimented Ctrl+G, which would produce a $chr(7) character, because it has been abused in the past on clients and terminals that do support it.

However, this abuse is no different than seen with other control characters; bold, underline, reverse and of course... colors. It even seems hypocritical of Khaled to leave BEL out, only to invent mIRC Colors which have seen much greater abuse. But like all neat-things, the abuse eventually subsided to a few random occurances now and then.

Now that mIRC has features like Strip, control code snot is no big thing today, so there really is no reason to leave BEL out in the cold anymore.

Suggestions:
1. Allow CTRL+G to produce the ASCII 7 character.
2. Add "Private Bell (Ctrl+G)" and...
3. Add "Channel Bell (Ctrl+G)" as Event Sounds in Options > Sounds, so one can assign a .wav or eventbeep to it.

By default, have Private Bell set to "Event Beep" and Channel Bell is set to "None". Since the Message Event already defaults to "Event Beep", the addition of BEL characters to /msg spam wouldn't cause any additional heartache for users.

Bell is a crucial part of internet communications in my opinion. I'm constantly being destracted and wander away from someone's query window, and end up forgetting about them while they try desperately to regain my attention.

There is NO REASON to continue this abstinence.    :tongue:

Sincerly,
- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#42420 17/08/03 05:10 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
IMHO the idea of "wandering away" is what the concept of CTCP PAGER is for. I personally don't like the idea. When I hear mIRC "beep" I immediately look to see if a new query window opened, or I received a notice. I don't want people to be able to make my mIRC beep whenever they feel like it.

#42421 17/08/03 05:12 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
IMO = in my opinion
IMHO = ?

new username: tidy_trax
#42422 17/08/03 05:14 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
in my humble opinion.

#42423 17/08/03 05:15 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ah, i can finally understand your posts grin

new username: tidy_trax
#42424 17/08/03 07:08 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
why not turn on the event beep in the switchbar for it to flash and beep if not active?

D3m0nnet.com
#42425 17/08/03 07:42 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
If you're really so desperate to be abused, this can be easily scripted with an on TEXT event.

#42426 17/08/03 10:47 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
IMHO the idea of "wandering away" is what the concept of CTCP PAGER is for.

There is no such implimentation in mIRC, nor is it recognized as a standard by any stretch of the word. Suggest Khaled add this to mIRC and I will digress.

I personally don't like the idea. When I hear mIRC "beep" I immediately look to see if a new [color:red]query window opened, or I received a notice. I don't want people to be able to make my mIRC beep whenever they feel like it.[/color]

You obviously weren't paying very close attention. Let me spell it out again.

mIRC will not beep when  is used in a #channel, by default.
mIRC will only beep when  is used in a query or notice. You say it already beeps on notices and new queries, why not beep on important subsequent queries too?

I don't see the problem here.

#42427 17/08/03 10:52 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I already have.

The only problem is nobody can press CTRL+G so nobody bothers using it, except in one channel I'm in that's primarily non-mIRC. And it's never abused there without harsh penalty and exile.

#42428 17/08/03 11:00 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Supporting it only really has the ability to annoy and little else. Someone wants to annoy me? Send that character a few dozen times in private messages. Yes it can be turned off but if everyone has to turn it off then it's a useless feature. Yes it can be stripped on excess, but it wouldn't require many beeps to be annoying. Just one every few minutes would be enough. You compare it with colours but it's not the same. Colours have the ability to emphasise or decorate text, with flooding as an annoying side-effect. A sound effect has the ability to largely annoy people, with maybe one in a thousand making any use of it whatsoever. I for one would hate to see BELs flying around IRC from people trying to get attention because they assume other people have this turned on. Sorry but I can't see this 'feature' having anything but a negative effect on IRC as a whole.

If you really do want to be able to be notified by people then you should just script it in a form like CTCP PAGER or similar. At least with a scripted version you can control who, where, and when someone can get your attention a lot more strictly.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#42429 17/08/03 11:06 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You're not understanding what I mean. I'm not suggesting CTCP PAGER be added to mIRC. If it were suggested, I'd be against that as well. I'm saying if you want it, you should script it (like many people already have).

Quote:

mIRC will not beep when  is used in a #channel, by default.
mIRC will only beep when  is used in a query or notice. You say it already beeps on notices and new queries, why not beep on important subsequent queries too?

I never implied that it would beep when used in a channel. And who is to say that it will only be used for "important subsequent queries"? I see it more being used:

"VISIT www.somelamesite.com"

#42430 17/08/03 11:07 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Yes it can be stripped on excess, but it wouldn't require many beeps to be annoying. Just one every few minutes would be enough.

As I already said, anybody has the ability to make your computer sound by sending you a /msg or /notice every few minutes. I'm sure you already /ignore people who do this.

#42431 17/08/03 11:11 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I never suggested that it should beep FOR EVERY  character!!!

One beep per message.

You refuse to admit this can be implimented sanely. I applaud your convictions. No further replies are necessary to convay this.

I can only HOPE that people start spamming with www.mysite.com. This would make it so much easier to filter out annoying spam.

#42432 17/08/03 11:15 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
As I already said, anybody has the ability to make your computer sound by sending you a /msg or /notice every few minutes. I'm sure you already /ignore people who do this.

Umm no, /msg would not do that because as long as I don't close the query window, it will never beep again, not so with ctrl+g, each time it is used, there comes another beep. As for /notice, I've yet (in the 5 years I've been using IRC) to have someone use a notice as a way of delivering spam. I'm sure people do it, but I've never seen it. I have seen people use a notice as a flood, but usually, a simple /ignore isn't enough to stop it anyway due to the number of clones/proxies/drones used to send the flood. So you're right, /notice could be used to beep. But now imagine,
/notice yournick dslkjdsadwsewrsshjfhdsjfhdhfdsjfhsfdh
being sent by 500 different bots to flood you. 3 bel's would hardly be enough to be considered enough to strip, yet when you have 3 + the inital beep for a notice * 500 bots, well now you have a lot of beeping going on.

I've never personally said "man I wish there was some way I could make that guy's computer beep so that I could get his attention." I'm one of those people who, if I'm not paying attention to you, it's not because I just happened to turn away, it's because I either don't want to be bothered, or I don't want to talk to you, not because I'm just waiting for you to do something to get my attention. And from most people I know on IRC, they seem to have this same attitude.

#42433 17/08/03 11:17 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:

And for those who are new to mirc and ask "why is my computer beeping".

Besides the ability to make another client beep, what in the hell is the purpose of this? Liek you need to have the ability to put chr 7 in a msg to another person.

<KingTomato> Hey, how's it going?[bell]
<Raccoon> Good, and you?[bell]
<KingTomato> Not bad.[bell]

All that does is call uneccisery attention to your already annoying msg. I do not see a real and true purpose for this, im sorry.

-----EDIT-----

Quote:
I never suggested that it should beep FOR EVERY  character!!!

and yet on the very first post you imply this very line:

Quote:
   There is NO REASON to continue this abstinence.   

Lmao, the other 5 bells for decoration\symmetry?

-KingTomato
#42434 17/08/03 11:26 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Lmao, the other 5 bells for decoration\symmetry?

You missed my little guy with the tongue sticky-outty.
AKA, my sense of strategically placed sarcasm. :tongue:

codemastr: Again, see my previous post. One beep per msg.
You're talking about botnet flooding... they already do this today. Don't tell me you haven't had 500 bots /msg you with different nicks, each time causing mIRC to beep.

#42435 17/08/03 11:33 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I love how you glanced over my whole post, to read the last quote--and refuse to answer this one question..

Quote:

Besides the ability to make another client beep, what in the hell is the purpose of this? Liek you need to have the ability to put chr 7 in a msg to another person.

-KingTomato
#42436 17/08/03 11:35 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Besides the ability to make another client beep?
No other reason.

#42437 17/08/03 11:57 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Okay, then if its just for you to have the ability to make another client beep, feel free to use /notice.

End of discussion (I would hope)

-KingTomato
#42438 18/08/03 12:06 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
to be quite honest i dont know what the real deal is anyways ... i turn my sounds completely off volume to 0 all the time, i hate hearing sounds, i dont even play any mp3 anymore.

D3m0nnet.com

Link Copied to Clipboard