mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I know this is an ancient issue, but I just want to remind the forum that there are still many people displeased with it... some who even refuse to upgrade until it has been reversed.

I'm talking about the *** event prefix that was neutered to one star.

This not only seems like an unnecessary change (if it aint broke don't fix it), but it confuses /me actions with other channel events (especially in colorless logs) which even has forced me to make significant changes to my /grep script. It must be hell for Log Stats programs to differentiate the two aswell.

Yes, I know that I can script around this. I would, except that you're talking about EVERY event, including events that cannot be halted and changed. My only option would be to edit the event strings using Res Hacker, thus violating mIRC's user agreement.

I'm suprised only one other post is archived which voices opinion on this change, but I'm guessing the bulk of them died on the old forum.

This has been single most 'bug' that has kept me from upgrading for so long, and now that I have I'm having serious second thoughts.

Please switch it back.

Parts: Raccoon (#mIRC@EFNet)

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
i agree, or make atleast an option to show it old style

that one * stuff fooks up PISG stats generator totaly, they have mirc6 support but thats still buggy as hell cause the logging format is retarded, they say it themself too

i hope u fix it soon

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My only option would be to edit the event strings using Res Hacker, thus violating mIRC's user agreement.

Or just script your own events which is perfectly legal. Since I do that I am not fussed about one star or three though I think for the sake of the sanity of those that just have to have it, I also think there should be some compromise here as there's never been an explanation as to why the change was necessary to begin with.

Addition:

Something I have suggested many times before and I'll say it again because once again I might have only mentioned it on the old forum, I think mIRC should adopt what some other programmes have - an internal editor for channe/rawl events. X Chat has one and I think Bersirc has the same thing. This would negate the need for most scripting that is required to 'pretty-up' scripts.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I'm hoping that someday all internal client text will be stored in an external resource... allowing for themes, open translations and most importantly ***'s grin

I understand that the major hurtle in translations is fitting foriegn text in dialogs of fixed size (objects spaced just far enough apart from english words, etc), however 99% of mIRC's text resources are the kind that would appear in a channel or status window (eg, *** events and errors) and can easily be translated without limitations on space.

Perhaps an external (editable) resource can be used to allow at least partial translations for the moment.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard