OP Offline
Mostly harmless
F
i need a site where i can download free movies

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If you want movies, try www.bestbuy.com they have a great selection of movies. Downloading movies is illegal, and we won't help you with it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you watched movies at the cinemas then you'd get to view them on a much bigger screen.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Imagine the resolution on THAT screen...!

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Nothing is ever free. There is a cost one way or another. Just go out and buy it or go to the theater when it comes out. Is it worth taking the chance to download something and getting caught? It is by far cheaper to do things legally rather than paying 1000 times the price in legal fees if getting caught.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You would think the movie industry would be smart and use a refresh rate so when people sneak in cameras they see lines going up and down the screen...kinda like if you were to point a video camera at a computer...but they haven't.

J
Babel fish
Babel fish
J
Read this post.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
hehe It would be impressive. grin

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
I will have to disagree with the being caught aspect. IRC is the last thing that will get you caught.

And as far as getting virii/trojans.. it is far less likely to get one off IRC (assuming you use the larger warez channels). The larger channels will ruin their status and their users if they allow trojan/virii to be served. While IRC may be the most annoying and tedious way to find ILLEGAL files, it is also the "best".

But don't forgot, it is still ILLEGAL.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Everything you said is lies.

Quote:
I will have to disagree with the being caught aspect. IRC is the last thing that will get you caught.

Mind telling that to the hundreds of people who are in jail for credit card theft after the FBI cracked down on credit card number channels on DALnet a couple of years ago? I'm sure they'll love to know that people don't get caught on IRC...

Quote:
And as far as getting virii/trojans.. it is far less likely to get one off IRC (assuming you use the larger warez channels).

Again, a lie. Yes, if the channel knows someone is serving viruses (the word is viruses, not virii, virii is a word that was created by the same people who coined 'l33t' and 'h4x0r') they will ban the person. But who says they have to know? If someone knows what they are doing, they can easily encode a virus into a program without effecting the program. Meaning as far as you know, the program works fine, it just sorta in the background takes over your system. But unless they run a virus scanner they won't know. Oh and guess where those people usually get the virus scanners? Also warez, so someone could easily make a virus scanner that doesn't actually detect anything so that way it will never detect the viruses available in the other downloads.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Quote:
Mind telling that to the hundreds of people who are in jail for credit card theft after the FBI cracked down on credit card number channels on DALnet a couple of years ago? I'm sure they'll love to know that people don't get caught on IRC...
My mistake. I should have been more clear. I meant in regards to downloading movies, mp3s, etc. Although I figured that was assumed because of the thread topic.

Quote:
Again, a lie. Yes, if the channel knows someone is serving viruses (the word is viruses, not virii, virii is a word that was created by the same people who coined 'l33t' and 'h4x0r') they will ban the person. But who says they have to know? If someone knows what they are doing, they can easily encode a virus into a program without effecting the program. Meaning as far as you know, the program works fine, it just sorta in the background takes over your system. But unless they run a virus scanner they won't know. Oh and guess where those people usually get the virus scanners? Also warez, so someone could easily make a virus scanner that doesn't actually detect anything so that way it will never detect the viruses available in the other downloads.
while in theory, this is true... in reality, it rarely happens. I know of no one nor have I heard of anyone who this has happened to. People in the warez scene on IRC are generally concerned with getting access and such, NOT infecting people. Although that's not to say it hasn't happened and cannot.

BUT in comparison to KaZaA and other p2p software, the chances of it happened (realistically speaking) are slimmer.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I believe whole-heartily this to be true.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Statistics are meaningless if you are the one out of the million who gets caught...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
General reply: I don't believe anyone can provide any worthwhile evidence that produces a mathematical probability of being infected on IRC when downloading wares or downloading them from an FTP server or P2P server. You guys should do what I do and simply state that it is a definite possibility whatever medium one uses to download wares. Calling someone a liar is, in my view, a serious attack on someone's integrity. I don't think anyone has lied here, just stating their beliefs, as I am doing. And who cares where viruses and virii originated from? Both are generally accepted by the general public and both terms are not only used in the computer world but also in the medical world - I have worked at hospitals for fourteen years, so I know that to be a fact, it's no different to sheep and sheeps/fish and fishes or this heard of cows/this heard of cattle.

Lets agree on one thing - if it is possible to get a virus then avoiding it is the key issue, not the probability of getting one. If you get nailed by a virus then you are just as infected whether you had a good chance or a bloody good chance of getting it.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
It's also possible to get a virus from downloading a copy of mirc off here wink It's happened before, IIRC.

The key here is chances, although you seem to think it isn't important. I agree, that it isn't important, to the new-comer. But generally speaking, IRC IS a safer medium than KaZaA, provided you follow a few simple guidelines (stick to larger channels, etc).

I am not advocating it by any means, but it is my belief and experience that IRC is a safer medium in it's current state. Very few people I know of will disagree with me on this.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You will NOT get a virus from downloading mIRC from an APPROVED d/l site. Perhaps you are recalling false positives that have been gotten from various companies and later corrected by them.

If you think only a rare few are getting trojans/virus using IRC, then think again. Between here and help channels, there isnt a day that goes by that we dont see a lot of ppl seeking help because they are infected, and that doesnt even take into consideration the amount of spam sent by users who havent a clue they are infected. Any time you d/l from a stranger by any means, you put yourself at risk and to imply otherwise to "newcomers" is irresponsible. So is suggesting they wont get "caught" by the RIAA if they use IRC.

To the original poster: this forum has a policy of not helping/supporting/encouraging illegal filesharing.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Quote:
If you think only a rare few are getting trojans/virus using IRC, then think again.
That is from people downloading infected scripts and accepting downloads that they did NOT request.

Please show me one example where someone got infected from downloading illegal contest from a large warez channel.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You have GOT to be joking!

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard