Quote:
Mind telling that to the hundreds of people who are in jail for credit card theft after the FBI cracked down on credit card number channels on DALnet a couple of years ago? I'm sure they'll love to know that people don't get caught on IRC...
My mistake. I should have been more clear. I meant in regards to downloading movies, mp3s, etc. Although I figured that was assumed because of the thread topic.

Quote:
Again, a lie. Yes, if the channel knows someone is serving viruses (the word is viruses, not virii, virii is a word that was created by the same people who coined 'l33t' and 'h4x0r') they will ban the person. But who says they have to know? If someone knows what they are doing, they can easily encode a virus into a program without effecting the program. Meaning as far as you know, the program works fine, it just sorta in the background takes over your system. But unless they run a virus scanner they won't know. Oh and guess where those people usually get the virus scanners? Also warez, so someone could easily make a virus scanner that doesn't actually detect anything so that way it will never detect the viruses available in the other downloads.
while in theory, this is true... in reality, it rarely happens. I know of no one nor have I heard of anyone who this has happened to. People in the warez scene on IRC are generally concerned with getting access and such, NOT infecting people. Although that's not to say it hasn't happened and cannot.

BUT in comparison to KaZaA and other p2p software, the chances of it happened (realistically speaking) are slimmer.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I believe whole-heartily this to be true.