General reply: I don't believe anyone can provide any worthwhile evidence that produces a mathematical probability of being infected on IRC when downloading wares or downloading them from an FTP server or P2P server. You guys should do what I do and simply state that it is a definite possibility whatever medium one uses to download wares. Calling someone a liar is, in my view, a serious attack on someone's integrity. I don't think anyone has lied here, just stating their beliefs, as I am doing. And who cares where viruses and virii originated from? Both are generally accepted by the general public and both terms are not only used in the computer world but also in the medical world - I have worked at hospitals for fourteen years, so I know that to be a fact, it's no different to sheep and sheeps/fish and fishes or this heard of cows/this heard of cattle.

Lets agree on one thing - if it is possible to get a virus then avoiding it is the key issue, not the probability of getting one. If you get nailed by a virus then you are just as infected whether you had a good chance or a bloody good chance of getting it.