mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
Since we have so many threads/posts on this issue, i'm going to condense. Use our search feature, set it to All Forums, expand the date range to ALL, and use 10053 as search term to wade thru all the threads. Note that i'm not including all the various hardware & hiccups things that can cause the occasional 10053 disc.

Many users have been reporting frequent random 10053 disconnect problems during DCC. This seems to be an issue primarily with winXP and occasionally win2k. No one has found a one solution fits all answer, but many have said one or more of the following stopped the problem.

-disable winxp's firewall

-dont use port 6667 to connect to a network. Most networks have a range of ports, usually within 6660-6669,7000-7001 and you can specify a port with /server some.server.here:7000

-dont use "speed patches" that supposedly increase your download speed. (note some of them effect your registry, use speed patch as your search term)

-update your router drivers/firmware. (some have said they needed to use something other than the ones supplied by the manufacturer)

-connect to the server's ip instead of domain (ie, /server 123.456.789.123 instead of /server some.domain.here)

-limit how many networks or other apps you are running

-some have the prob not while dcc sending, but when idle for long periods of time. try creating a channel and using a timer to make a post every so often.

-changing NIC card

-uninstall MSN IM

-check for patches for everything from windows to the equipment you have.

-ONLY for the advanced user: look into default MTU registry values with relation to the router you use.

-some ppl have reported this happening with scripts that appear to have compatibility issues, so try with a clean copy of mIRC to check

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Good to see you took the initative Para, i was thinking along the same lines. Though I do have a small segment to add to your post.

In the recent days, a severe exploit was found concerning a company (Cisco Systems) routers. This exploit was labeled "Code Brown" (Highest security alert by Cisco's standards. What the exploit entails is that a user, with enough know-how, can malform a packet (bit of data), send it to a router, and crash it at will. Well, thats bad enough in itself, but the fact is the majority of the Internet (Main network frameworks, HUBs, DNS, etc) are all using Cisco Equiptment. Basically, a user can take out (almsot any) cisco router at will with one packet.

Now, this thread being connection related--you might have already concluded this, but that would mean you get disconnected from the destination your connected to if the router in the middle was shutdown.

Well, the good news is a patch was released Friday (June18, 2003) that will fix the router. All cisco routers that predate IOS version 12.3 must be patched. Though a patch has been released, not all companies have put their network administrators to good use *sigh*. The patch (I can only assume) should cover the majority of network HUBs by Monday afternoon (would be my guess).

Again, just a tidbit I wanted to point out, so if your disconnected, or notice your own network recently netsplitting often, this may be a benefactor. wink

-KingTomato
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
-ONLY for the advanced user: look into default MTU registry values with relation to the router you use.

Definitely only for advanced users, though there is a programme that can change MTU settings for ADSL users without having to muck around in 'the guts' called Dr TCP which can be getted at this place. I would, as you said, recommend that either the user be familiar with this sort of thing or consult someone that does first.

P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
Watchdog: agreed, which is why i didnt, havent, and wont put details about how to tweak this on open forum (and would hope no one else would). In fact, I debated whether to even include it in the post. Thanks for reiterating its only for the advanced user so ppl dont think i'm just being overly cautious.

KT: yes, i read about that, but for the intent of this thread i didnt think it (or others that could be factors) should be included on the "list". certainly could be a factor tho and worth keeping in mind. In general i dont like getting into exploits here under the why give ppl ideas heading. There are other websites that do a jam up job of keeping ppl current on security issues, i'd be lost without them. Altho, i think i may add a line suggesting ppl check for patches in general, thanks.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
All i was suggesting was that now (esp this past weekend, and into this week) there will be an increase in "network downtimes", not so muhc the network going down, but the path to it. Just putting it out there for any users that are visiting the vorums for this week and have had connection problems.

If you feel deleting the post would be a safer Idea, you can do so. I do believe it might be wise to wait until the end of the week, where most issure will be resolved. laugh

-KingTomato
P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
sorry, i think i wasnt clear crazy I dont have any objection to your post and as i said, it certainly is something to consider right now. I tried to include on the list only things that should be considered over the long run, as opposed to a current and limited situation (even tho of course it could be what causes the prob) or try to cover every possible security issue. Hopefully, adding to go look for patches for everything would aim them into looking into possible security/manufacturer's glitches. My intent was to list some things that seem to generally apply so they can be checked first.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think you can delete my post now, para >:D

-KingTomato
P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to leave it here KT, since it would bring the possibility of related probs like this to ppls attention when they are having difficulties.

U
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
U
thank you for the reply unfortunately most of it went over my head. I was hopeing a non techie person would answer so I could understand. lol
As this has never happend in the 4 years I have been useing mirc this time I did not look pass 10, 10, 03 posts figureing it was something new
Believe it or not, in the past, I have searched for previous answers to my questions and I never seem to find anything even close. I have even tried searching for other peoples questions that get yelled at for not searching and find nothing.
For the novice computer users it is hard and frustrating to find answers here. Believe me we need all the help we can get and are not out to annoy anyone.

P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
reminding ppl of the search feature isnt yelling at them, honest smile

when you do a search, be sure to set it to "all forums" and expand the date range, you may also need to try a few search terms to find exactly what you are looking for. We try to put posts up to stay at the top for the more common problems.

The 10053 error isnt easy to solve. I tried to put things others have tried that worked, some may help you, some may not. Believe me, i KNOW how frustrating a puter problem can be! Perhaps what mite be best is for you to go to Efnet, DALnet, or Undernet and go to #mIRC. you can ask one of the ops to help guide you step by step. Each person's set up is different, and by having you one on one, they can ask the questions needed to try to figure out how to best help you. Keep in mind that all connection errors, Peer disconnect, 10053, sometimes just happen and suddenly stop. There are just so many things that can cause a connection error confused

U
U
I AM an op and help others all the time LOL!
when I said " yell " it was tongue in cheek =^)
thanks for the reply though
As it turns out it was a server problem and not mirc or me and was just coincidence it happened the same time as mirc upgrade.

P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
you're welcome

R
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
R
I'm getting the 10053 error as well; none of the suggestions work.

I can successfully connect to IRC networks with the ViRC client. confused

~Randy
I hope a solution to this problem is found soon. I really don't want to have to give up mirc.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
as that's basically a server/isp error, giving up mirc would have no effect. I have gotten the same errors using several other IRC clients

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
I did some research and found this can also be a winsock problem. And this problem happens mostly with win XP.

I have been testing Virc and so far haven't been disconnected with it. I like mirc better but if I can't stay connected I will have to use something else.

T
T
I only get it with mIRC too. I finally gave up and installed X-Chat yesterday. It was getting to the point that every time I got a 10053 my cable would desynch for a couple hours. If mIRC is not running, I can stay online for days if I choose to.

P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
I have tried the ideas suggested .. well, the ones I can understand .. I am currently using mIRC 6.12 .. with the older version I didn't get this too often .. with this one .. I get it VERY often .. 30 times in an 9 hour period to be exact. I decided to get out the old pIRCh and see what it would do .. so far .. it's been running fine. There has to be some kind of conflict with mIRC that makes this occur mainly with XP.

B
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
B
I'm only getting the error code on particular net. If i use another net I can't access the rooms I want. Well; I can but there are no users listed in the rooms except me. If I use the net I was requested to use the users are there. The net I'm having trouble with is german.p2pchat.net. As soon as I ask the net to do anything it disconnects. If I set it up to go directly to the room it will but then as soon as I startr to chat it disconnects:- Software caused connection abort [10053]. Any one got any ideas

Hey everyone!

Finally found the answer to this problem. I was have the problem for awhile and nothing help but I resently had a system crash and had to reintall my windows XP Pro.

after reloading my mirc I started running it and I ran it for over 4 hours without a connection abort. So, I am asuming the problem isn't with mirc it has to do more with a sick winXP. I know doing a clean install is a little drastic but if you are having problem with mirc you are having problems with other programs on your system.

No might just be the time to do a reinstall of your system smile

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard