mIRC Homepage
Since we have so many threads/posts on this issue, i'm going to condense. Use our search feature, set it to All Forums, expand the date range to ALL, and use 10053 as search term to wade thru all the threads. Note that i'm not including all the various hardware & hiccups things that can cause the occasional 10053 disc.

Many users have been reporting frequent random 10053 disconnect problems during DCC. This seems to be an issue primarily with winXP and occasionally win2k. No one has found a one solution fits all answer, but many have said one or more of the following stopped the problem.

-disable winxp's firewall

-dont use port 6667 to connect to a network. Most networks have a range of ports, usually within 6660-6669,7000-7001 and you can specify a port with /server some.server.here:7000

-dont use "speed patches" that supposedly increase your download speed. (note some of them effect your registry, use speed patch as your search term)

-update your router drivers/firmware. (some have said they needed to use something other than the ones supplied by the manufacturer)

-connect to the server's ip instead of domain (ie, /server 123.456.789.123 instead of /server some.domain.here)

-limit how many networks or other apps you are running

-some have the prob not while dcc sending, but when idle for long periods of time. try creating a channel and using a timer to make a post every so often.

-changing NIC card

-uninstall MSN IM

-check for patches for everything from windows to the equipment you have.

-ONLY for the advanced user: look into default MTU registry values with relation to the router you use.

-some ppl have reported this happening with scripts that appear to have compatibility issues, so try with a clean copy of mIRC to check

Good to see you took the initative Para, i was thinking along the same lines. Though I do have a small segment to add to your post.

In the recent days, a severe exploit was found concerning a company (Cisco Systems) routers. This exploit was labeled "Code Brown" (Highest security alert by Cisco's standards. What the exploit entails is that a user, with enough know-how, can malform a packet (bit of data), send it to a router, and crash it at will. Well, thats bad enough in itself, but the fact is the majority of the Internet (Main network frameworks, HUBs, DNS, etc) are all using Cisco Equiptment. Basically, a user can take out (almsot any) cisco router at will with one packet.

Now, this thread being connection related--you might have already concluded this, but that would mean you get disconnected from the destination your connected to if the router in the middle was shutdown.

Well, the good news is a patch was released Friday (June18, 2003) that will fix the router. All cisco routers that predate IOS version 12.3 must be patched. Though a patch has been released, not all companies have put their network administrators to good use *sigh*. The patch (I can only assume) should cover the majority of network HUBs by Monday afternoon (would be my guess).

Again, just a tidbit I wanted to point out, so if your disconnected, or notice your own network recently netsplitting often, this may be a benefactor. wink
-ONLY for the advanced user: look into default MTU registry values with relation to the router you use.

Definitely only for advanced users, though there is a programme that can change MTU settings for ADSL users without having to muck around in 'the guts' called Dr TCP which can be getted at this place. I would, as you said, recommend that either the user be familiar with this sort of thing or consult someone that does first.
Watchdog: agreed, which is why i didnt, havent, and wont put details about how to tweak this on open forum (and would hope no one else would). In fact, I debated whether to even include it in the post. Thanks for reiterating its only for the advanced user so ppl dont think i'm just being overly cautious.

KT: yes, i read about that, but for the intent of this thread i didnt think it (or others that could be factors) should be included on the "list". certainly could be a factor tho and worth keeping in mind. In general i dont like getting into exploits here under the why give ppl ideas heading. There are other websites that do a jam up job of keeping ppl current on security issues, i'd be lost without them. Altho, i think i may add a line suggesting ppl check for patches in general, thanks.
All i was suggesting was that now (esp this past weekend, and into this week) there will be an increase in "network downtimes", not so muhc the network going down, but the path to it. Just putting it out there for any users that are visiting the vorums for this week and have had connection problems.

If you feel deleting the post would be a safer Idea, you can do so. I do believe it might be wise to wait until the end of the week, where most issure will be resolved. laugh
sorry, i think i wasnt clear crazy I dont have any objection to your post and as i said, it certainly is something to consider right now. I tried to include on the list only things that should be considered over the long run, as opposed to a current and limited situation (even tho of course it could be what causes the prob) or try to cover every possible security issue. Hopefully, adding to go look for patches for everything would aim them into looking into possible security/manufacturer's glitches. My intent was to list some things that seem to generally apply so they can be checked first.
I think you can delete my post now, para >:D
I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to leave it here KT, since it would bring the possibility of related probs like this to ppls attention when they are having difficulties.
thank you for the reply unfortunately most of it went over my head. I was hopeing a non techie person would answer so I could understand. lol
As this has never happend in the 4 years I have been useing mirc this time I did not look pass 10, 10, 03 posts figureing it was something new
Believe it or not, in the past, I have searched for previous answers to my questions and I never seem to find anything even close. I have even tried searching for other peoples questions that get yelled at for not searching and find nothing.
For the novice computer users it is hard and frustrating to find answers here. Believe me we need all the help we can get and are not out to annoy anyone.
reminding ppl of the search feature isnt yelling at them, honest smile

when you do a search, be sure to set it to "all forums" and expand the date range, you may also need to try a few search terms to find exactly what you are looking for. We try to put posts up to stay at the top for the more common problems.

The 10053 error isnt easy to solve. I tried to put things others have tried that worked, some may help you, some may not. Believe me, i KNOW how frustrating a puter problem can be! Perhaps what mite be best is for you to go to Efnet, DALnet, or Undernet and go to #mIRC. you can ask one of the ops to help guide you step by step. Each person's set up is different, and by having you one on one, they can ask the questions needed to try to figure out how to best help you. Keep in mind that all connection errors, Peer disconnect, 10053, sometimes just happen and suddenly stop. There are just so many things that can cause a connection error confused
I AM an op and help others all the time LOL!
when I said " yell " it was tongue in cheek =^)
thanks for the reply though
As it turns out it was a server problem and not mirc or me and was just coincidence it happened the same time as mirc upgrade.

you're welcome
I'm getting the 10053 error as well; none of the suggestions work.

I can successfully connect to IRC networks with the ViRC client. confused
I hope a solution to this problem is found soon. I really don't want to have to give up mirc.
as that's basically a server/isp error, giving up mirc would have no effect. I have gotten the same errors using several other IRC clients
I did some research and found this can also be a winsock problem. And this problem happens mostly with win XP.

I have been testing Virc and so far haven't been disconnected with it. I like mirc better but if I can't stay connected I will have to use something else.
I only get it with mIRC too. I finally gave up and installed X-Chat yesterday. It was getting to the point that every time I got a 10053 my cable would desynch for a couple hours. If mIRC is not running, I can stay online for days if I choose to.
I have tried the ideas suggested .. well, the ones I can understand .. I am currently using mIRC 6.12 .. with the older version I didn't get this too often .. with this one .. I get it VERY often .. 30 times in an 9 hour period to be exact. I decided to get out the old pIRCh and see what it would do .. so far .. it's been running fine. There has to be some kind of conflict with mIRC that makes this occur mainly with XP.
I'm only getting the error code on particular net. If i use another net I can't access the rooms I want. Well; I can but there are no users listed in the rooms except me. If I use the net I was requested to use the users are there. The net I'm having trouble with is german.p2pchat.net. As soon as I ask the net to do anything it disconnects. If I set it up to go directly to the room it will but then as soon as I startr to chat it disconnects:- Software caused connection abort [10053]. Any one got any ideas
Hey everyone!

Finally found the answer to this problem. I was have the problem for awhile and nothing help but I resently had a system crash and had to reintall my windows XP Pro.

after reloading my mirc I started running it and I ran it for over 4 hours without a connection abort. So, I am asuming the problem isn't with mirc it has to do more with a sick winXP. I know doing a clean install is a little drastic but if you are having problem with mirc you are having problems with other programs on your system.

No might just be the time to do a reinstall of your system smile
this problem occurs in win2k aswell as win98 for some users... so it's not just an XP problem ;-]

I get d/c about 2 or 3 times a day on some network :-[
and I can't figure out why *sigh* none of the things stated in this topic or any other on this forum or on other sites have helped so far :-/
We know it does effect other OSs, but as i said in the first post, this does seem to effect XP and 2k more so than others. Some of the gathered up suggestions help some, others nothing seems to help. Only other thing i could suggest is start with the basics, check all the connections leading to your puter from your provider (ie phone lines, cable lines, etc). See if you can narrow down anything that could be a common factor, like a certain size dcc, or when on a certain server, when using another application, etc. Might not hurt to check with your provider to see if other ppl are reporting this a lot. 10053 is a tough one to narrow down as there are so many factors possible
I'm trying to figure out if it might have something to do with the new combination of the new 100mbit realteck 3189 NIC's I have in my computer and my linux gateway and the cross cable I have between it...

does anyone have a similar setup with linux (redhat) knowledge that could help me figure out if it's some linux config? plz pm me :-[
Sorry, but I have the following error while trying to perform DCC send (all the times, sigh crazy):

Software caused connection abort

and at the same time my router enters in diag mode! I have to swicth it off and turn on again all the time...

This issue is related to 10053 error?

ERRATA: i mean: i don't have a specific error number from mirc, but 10053 "IS" the code for "Software caused connection abort" exception?

Thanx to all, have a nice day cool
i have tried other two irc clients and everything seems to work properly...

mirc is very good, but maybe needs an hard bug fixing session...
I just this afternoon started getting this error. Now I cannot connect for more that 2min. without being shut down. Any idea's? I have tried all other suggestions and tried different networks same poblem. Running on w2k
OK here is my situation which nothing has worked yet. I did the research too on this and came up with the same winsock stuff as well. Here is my setup and see if anyone has the same and can shed some light on this odd one.

Router: SMC Barricade that goes to a Linksys Router
Both routers have the newest firmware upgrades
OS Updates : Fully installed and are all updated

Nothing works and I cannot even connect to a server for over 4 messages before I am disconnected. I have tried using all different types of software but all say the same thing. Ok so what is happening? I would love to get a resolve to this because it just started happening from going to Windows XP Home to Pro. So is there something I am missing with the upgrade? Thanks for your time!!

Chad
Recently I was working on my script with a lag timer. As soon as i got this time going full time the abort started to happen. When i stopped the timer this problem stopped too thought it might have been that the timer was a 0 5 second timer. I have not yet tested it with a 10 15 or 20 second timer.
The problem has reached that point where a rival IRC client beckons. My mIRC uptime varies wildly between 30 minutes and 30 hours on W2K or higher.

Once a 'software abort' occurs, the program loops between reconnecting and failing. The fact that I can:

1. Close mIRC, restart it, and connect
2. Open a second instance of mIRC while the problem is occurring, and connect
3. Use another IRC client at the same time without trouble
4. Use any other network application at the same time without trouble

point to a simple, copper-bottomed fact that it's a bug in mIRC code.

There's absolutely no point looking at MTU values or any other machine-specific issues. Everyone here may as well stand on one leg and blow raspberries in an attempt to make the problem go away—it'll have the same effect as any other suggestion (none whatsoever).

I'll check back in a couple of weeks to see if anything's been done, but I doubt it. Looking at the date of the first post here, and given that I've put up with this thing for months and months now, it's clearly an old and unsolvable problem.

Disappointed frown
"it'll have the same effect as any other suggestion (none whatsoever)."

As i said in the initial post and in the numerous other threads on the subject, the suggestions made are things that some ppl have found work for them. I'm not claiming they work for everyone, there are merely things others have found helpful, condensed here from all the other threads. I have personally helped ppl that the problem is resolved by things like getting rid of a script, changing MTU values, not using port 6667 etc. I know some that have found "interference techniques" at the provider level have been the root cause. I also know others that none of these have helped. 10053 can be caused by so many factors.

A problem that only effects some ppl and is corrected by widely varying means (and in some cases not at all) makes it almost impossible to track down one specific cause that mIRC can control.

I can sympathize that its annoying, several years ago i had the same problem and it drove me nuts. Turned out the problem in my case was an underground phone line issue.
Ok ... let's get something else out. Here is what I tried:

Using my link straight from my Road Runner connection. <-- Still didn't work.

I tried using Trillian's IRC ... <-- Worked much better than mIRC but still disconnected.

I tried upgrading my drivers (again) for my network card. <-- Still didn't work.

I am pinning it to something is wrong with Microsoft on this one. Let's face it... it is when we try with a Win2k or WinXP right? Fair enough, now if you trace back the original 10053 error you will be brought to a winsock problem. Yes that is used since Win 95, and even later editions of Win3.1. That however has not changed in MANY years. Therefore we can eliminate mIRC as the only one doing this, routers are fine. Now can anyone speak from a coding point of view on this as to what exactly does the winsock mechanism do and can it be botched? If so how? Let's try to get an active (cure all) resolve to this. Continue to place a bandaid on this .... but let's try to cut off the source. That is all I really am going to say.

Chad
Howdy Folks, was on this a year ago and after seeing all the struggle in posts, and as I come to gather anything else on it I can, you haven't yet discovered the missing link, so I'm here to give it to ya. (Yea! Everybody cheer for me!) But, as you'll see, things are still short of a 'solution.' (try changing connecting servers)

-This is a TCPIP error. I would guess what follows is from berkely, I didn't copy/paste the source. This is straight out of the manual for the TCPIP protocol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WSAECONNABORTED (10053) Software caused connection abort.

Berkeley description: A connection abort was caused internal to your host machine. The software caused a connection abort because there is no space on the socket's queue and the socket cannot receive further connections.

WinSock description: Partly the same as Berkeley. The error can occur when the local network system aborts a connection. This would occur if WinSock aborts an established connection after data retransmission fails (receiver never acknowledges data sent on a datastream socket).

TCP/IP scenario: A connection will timeout if the local system doesn't receive an (ACK)nowledgement for data sent. It would also timeout if a (FIN)ish TCP packet is not ACK'd (and even if the FIN is ACK'd, it will eventually timeout if a FIN is not returned).

User suggestions: There are a number of things to check, that might help to identify why the failure occurred. Basically, you want to identify where the problem occurred.

Ping the remote host you were connected to. If it doesn't respond, it might be off-line or there may be a network problem along the way. If it does respond, then this problem might have been a transient one (so you can reconnect now), or the server application you were connected to might have terminated (so you might not be able to connect again).
Ping a local host to verify that your local network is still functioning (if on a serial connection, see next step)
Ping your local router address. If you're on a serial connection, your local router is the IP address of the host you initially logged onto with SLIP or PPP.
Ping a host on the same subnet as the host you were connected to (if you know one). This will verify that the destination network is functioning.
Try a "traceroute" to the host you were connected to. This won't reveal too much unless you know the router addresses at the remote end, but it might help to identify if the problem is somewhere along the way.
WinSock functions: recv(), recvfrom(), sendto(), FD_CLOSE

Additional functions: send() can also fail with WSAECONNABORTED. Any function that takes a socket as an input parameter--except close socket()--could potentially fail with this error.

Ciao.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(end of copy paste)

I also went thru rounds of reinstalling software/os's etc, hope this clears some things up. If you still end up not getting it to work, at least now you know whats 'actually' going on.

jdc

Oh yeah, so furthermore, this is not so much about your paricular OS or the install of MIRC, etc, etc. Obviously those things are important and you do need to have a 'clean machine', yet if you'd really want to 'solve' the problem, a guess is to enlarge the winsock que (of which I don't know how to do, or if you even can), yet even that would have no effect on not getting a return ACK.

(ie- In the end this is NOT a software issue as more of it is a NETWORK COMMUNICATION issue. try changing your connecting server to get a 'new' path across the internet to whatever network you connect to.)

Good Luck. I still get the problem as well, and just as frustrating too. (Hey, all my hair did indeed grow back!)

jdc

Thanks for your post. This thread wasnt intended to go into all the causes of this error, and a link to the info you kindly posted is on another thread about common IRC errors

Since we had so many posts/questions about this issue after the release of xp i simply wanted to condense what other users have tried with some success to save ppl having to search and wade thru all the threads. My intent wasnt to fault/blame any OS, it just appears to occur much more often for some xp and 2k users.
hi, I have been using Mirc for 5 months and had no problems connecting with it until I bought a new computer. Now i get error 10053 all the time and havent yet been able to sort it frown
Being not a technical person I dont really understand most of what is being said here (sad i know). Anyway I have windowsXP could someone plz tell me how to disable windows firewall?
RIght click on connection icon in tray (next to system clock on desktop) - choose "Status" then a dialogue opens - choose "Properties" then click the "Advanced TAB" then untick the first checkbox - click OKAY. Done.

This won't stop the issue with mIRC however.
I think it's possibly those nasty RPC exploits still going around.
When you get the update from Microsoft to stop your comptuer shutting down, or run a firewall, the virus doesn't actually get removed. So it's still hammering away at other people's connections and this seems to interfier with your irc expirence smile

There's a nice little utility that'll find it and remove it if do you have the virus: http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

That was what fixed it for me anyway wink
Just to toss in my IT-Drone .02 here:

As people have repeatedly said, 10053s are very difficult to deal with because the error message itself means almost nothing vis-a-vis the actual problem. It's a bit like getting robbed and then finding out that the culprit lives in Los Angeles; a start, but not particularly helpful.

At its core though, a 10053 is typically just a connection stability issue, and most of them that I've ever encountered, except, of course, the instance I'm trying to solve now, can be dealt with by doing one of a couple of things (preferably both):

1) If you're behind a router, take all of the machines on your LAN off of the DHCP table (just be sure to leave the service on so that you can use your router's LAN IP as a backup DNS). Why? Because DHCP can be, well, a little finicky in the stability department. Plus, it takes a bit of the load off of the router itself since it no longer has to 'decide' how to handle the connections from the PCs on the network.

2) Optimize your TCP/IP settings for your connection type. The reason for this one is simple. The Windows default TCP/IP settings are designed to work with either very low-speed connections (dial-up) or very low-latency connections (ethernet LANs, for instance). Particularly with XP (and especially with XP Pro, due it being designed to run on professionally maintained networks), the super-low-latency defaults can play havoc with persistent connections (read: connections that are allowed to idle) over the internet-at-large. An optimization will take care of it.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss a couple of additional solutions into the mix in the hopes that they help somebody. Good luck to all you folks having problems out there.

Disclaimer: There is no guarantee that doing either of these things will totally resolve the issue, but they will almost certainly reduce its frequency. Also, manually configuring your DNS/Gateway/Subnet/etc. is a relatively safe thing to do, even for a novice (just go back to autodetect if you mis-configure it). Messing with TCP/IP is not. Do NOT do it manually unless you know what you're doing. There are numerous free programs out there that will do a relatively good job of optimizing those settings for you with minimal risk and full backup/restore functionality. Use one of those.
Well, I ran Housecall ( http://housecall.antivirus.com ) after getting the same odd problem, and within seconds it had removed a malware file called mircflood, an all is fine again!
Hooray for online virus scanners!
The problem is not in Windows, is not in your network or anything else.THE PROBLEMS IS IN MIRC!!! I have this problem from 6.12 to 6.14.Now i'm using Ice Chat 5.It has themes support, scripting language and it's more stable and powerfull than mIRC
Since mIRC is stable how can something be more stable?
Funny .. I've had this error maybe twice in the past 3 years, and not once since upgrading to 6.14

How do you figure the problem is an mIRC problem?

I had the same amount of trouble with pIRCh a couple of years ago (almost none, but a couple of times).

I personally think it's an IRC/winsock error, and don't worry about it. But it's definitely NOT just an mIRC error.
i'm glad you found an IRC client you are happy with that resolved the problem you were having. But please keep in mind that if this problem were totally due to mIRC and had no relation to anything else, it would be happening to everyone all the time. It isnt and doesnt, which tells me the issue is more complex than simply blaming one piece of software.

There are also numerous problems than can cause 10053, this thread focuses on suggestions when it consistently happens to some users only while dccing and doesnt address other common causes for that error
Hello everybody! I'm kind of a newbie at mIRC, but I have made a few observations, and possibly have a solution:

I recently installed mIRC 6.14 and had not at that point had any preious version installed. I soon started notising the 10053 error and it didn't just affect mIRC, but as DC+ and my FTP client. So I uninstalled mIRC and everything went back to normal. No errors and no dropouts. I figured it had to be some kind of error during the installation so I tried again. And what do you know? The error returned... I then tried updating, and tweaking everyhing on my computer (drivers, windows, network settings etc), but norhing helped. I uninstalled again and gave it up for a while, but then I got thinking that maybe it wasn't a bug in my windows (XP by the way) but in mIRC, so I thought of trying a older version (5.81) and everything worked! No error ever! Later I tried formatting my harddrive and installing a clean windows and then version 6.14 again, but the error re-appeared. With 5.81 it works just fine.

And here at last comes my point: Most likely, in this case, it IS a bug in mIRC that causes this problem, but since people have comletely different setups of their network/internet access, it doesn't always show up, or it shows up in completely different ways. This has to be one of the hardest bugs to crack, ever!
I have seen this bug earlier in different prorams/enviroments and it has usually been related to one or more of the subjects mentioned earlier in this tread (and others), such as firewall settings, MTU, lease time of IP adresses etc., but this does not seem to be the case here. I'm not trying to place blame, just trying to suggest where to start looking for the problem.

My advice to all you out there with this problem is to try different versions og mIRC until you find one that works for you! wink
05:56| * [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
05:56| * Disconnected

I am not really finding a pattern to these disc, except some incomming from the irc server itself, or those related ports,
then * Disconnected.
When polling server users,
they mentioned, it was on some servers,
while they were still connected to other servers they freq np,
but they were getting disc on all the time on another at the same time.

Personally, I don't use DCC *ignore* all!
I wish this was resolved or anyone finding any indicators to this issue?

mad As of 2004?!
I get this error ONLY when trying to connect to criten.net. I have no problem with any of the other networks. I actually got through for about 1 minute today, then I got that 10053 msg again. I re-tried like 50 times, but I could not connect. I disabled the WinXP firewall and shut down my internet security program. Still no dice.

Explain that one.
That network is mostly well-known for it's file sharing channels. Therefore, if you're mass file trading (particularly big files on a slow connection) that could well be the source of the issue. If you think this is the issue, stop file sharing smile

If it's not that, and you're using Criten to chat, then perhaps it's an issue with the server you're on and not your end. Perhaps the server is being attacked. Try using several different servers. Alternatively, contact the network administration and see if they can offer further advice as to why it may be only Criten causing you this issue.

Best of luck.

Regards,
I probably should have made this post earlier, but I want to share a small little script I use that keeps me from getting the 10053, and I used to get it several times a day on one network (Freenode) What happens is Freenode hardly ever sends out the PING event, and so mIRC doesn't get a chance to send anything to the server. I fixed this by pinging the freenode server every 10 minutes, then ignoring any reply.

This is what I have in a blank remotes file:
Code:
on 1:CONNECT: { .timerserverping. [ $+ [ $network ] $+ . $+  [ $cid ] ] 0 600 sendserverping }
on ^*:PONG: if ( $1 == $server ) haltdef
alias sendserverping { .raw PING : $+ $ctime }

Since I have been running this (or some variation) I have only had a 10053 once. So this won't work for every situation, but it has been good to me.

Alternatly, if you use some lag meter, as long as it checks the lag for each network, that would do the same thing. Basically, sending something to the network fairly frequently, but not too frequently (my code is once every 10 minutes).

For a cut and paste way, just paste the following into any window:
Quote:
//writeini pingserver.ini script n1 on 1:CONNECT: $chr(123) .timerserverping. $chr(91) $chr(36) $+ + $chr(91) $chr(36) $+ network $chr(93) $chr(36) $+ + . $chr(36) $+ + $chr(91) $chr(36) $+ cid $chr(93) $chr(93) 0 600 sendserverping $chr(125) | writeini pingserver.ini script n2 on ^*:PONG: if ( $chr(36) $+ 1 == $chr(36) $+ server ) haltdef | writeini pingserver.ini script n3 alias sendserverping $chr(123) .raw PING : $chr(36) $+ + $chr(36) $+ ctime $chr(125) | load -rs pingserver.ini | .timerserverping. [ $+ [ $network ] $+ . $+ [ $cid ] ] 0 600 sendserverping

This just makes a script of the code I gave above it. Completly multi-server safe, even the same network multiple times. This really is just a silent option to having a timer send some lines to a blank channel
I found a solution for IRC hanging on DCC. That might be also the solution for this problem. It's a Winsock problem.

Save your IP configuration somewhere and reset Winsock for XP with this tool: Winsock XP Fix 1.2
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-161.shtml

Mav90
ok I was having the same trouble for about a year, I turned off all remote scripts last friday 18-6-04, and haven't been disconnected since ... it's now monday 21-6-04. I hope this helps somebody else out, it has certainly worked for me.
Tallus :-)
after fighting with this tedious 10053 error for 2 months, we have a working solution at least for Win2k Professional using a common cable/broadband modem (rcn).
We added several tcp/ip parameters to the registry that normally are not present on OEM & retail Win2k versions, but are common on the enterprise server OS, SB Server & the venerable NT3.5 & 4.0 systems.
Since this error is obviously caused by a SYN/ACK parameter change in winsock, which we believe is a result of one if not several hastily issued critical updates from Microsoft, the easiest way to correct it would be to modify the now-inadequate tcp/ip packet parameters.
All of the TCP/IP parameters are registry values that are located under one of two different subkeys of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
Tcpip\Parameters
Adapter Name\Parameters\Tcpip
A total of 9 new parameters i added, and upon reboot, my 10053 error that occured every 10 minutes was history. I've been connected to efnet for 28 straight hours since, with no errors. The entire registry mod takes less than 10 minutes.
email me for the full document on this registry fix.
godflesh@rcn.com
Windows XP and (or 2k) has the MS Windows super duber think what safes the internet connect. The killing of idle connections.
I tried your suggestion tonight, and it worked. The reason why I found this forum thread is because I finally thought of seeing what this software abort thing may be due to, and how it might be fixed. So I used google to search and came across this thread.

Auto-pinging the server at certain time intervals and anti-idle scripts didn't make the problem go away at all. But backing up the remote script to some storage directory (just to keep a copy of it), and then clearing Mirc's remote script completely really worked. I wonder how you managed to come up with this idea of clearing the remote script. Impressive....because it certainly worked to fix up my problem as well.

Thanks for your time to mention this. Much appreciated.
well last year i posted saying i was getting this prblem with windows 2000 when i installed it the secound time due to hdd fail but when i went back on windows 98 it worked great.a few months later i installed a new gcard witch need 2000 so i put it back on thinking oh here we go its gona disconect soon as i get a dcc but nope never did.I had 2000 on for a few months and bough xp so i stuck that on thinking it will work but nope disconnects every dcc so i had to put 2000 back on.this is wierd thing and i think the only way to solve it is to install your OS and if it doesnt work do a rienstall and it may work.with me i got a feeling it was when you installed xp or 2000 soon as you connect to the internet i was getting the virus like veriants of msblast that send itself to others and soon as you install mirc and and get a dcc its disconnecting your connection due to its getting lagged and hammerd by this virus and you using your connection.i use 2000 and soon as i install it i get zonealarm up then i connected to the net and update 200 with all latest patches and it work fine for me i hardly get discoonected from mirc and if i do my dcc is still downloading.Hope this help people but from my experience its chance if this happends.
Which clients did you use??
wow man!!! thanx it worked, I fallow y0 direction! im still connected I've went to da http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger, found a virus! deleted suddely! my mirc has not 10053 error, software caused connection abort, dam man! I formatted my computer like 6 times today! scan for sum virus on norton! found like 7 virus! don't know the hell why, plus did a scan on housecall! dam virues drives my nuts! anways, I would stay connected on mirc like 30 sec, then lag, lol I would end up having 9 names lol crazy stuff, thanx again! hope that'll always stay like that
how many of you are running p2p software while using mirc? as i think this is were the problem is. i use bearshare, and evrytime i use it, mirc starts disconnecting. maybe someone attacking your pc from p2p servers.

good luck
cool
I just wanted to add what I experienced with this error as well.

I kept getting this error over and over and could not figure out why. I could not connect to any server from the start. I would always get the 10053 error.

After not finding any solutions, I reinstalled XP. With nothing else on my PC, except for mIRC, the error disappeared. YAY!

I then proceeded to reinstall all of my programs. After installing McAfee 8.0, mIRC stopped working again, and I was back to the 10053 error. I then uninstalled McAfee 8.0, and Bam!, the error disappeared. I am reverting back to McAfee 7.0 because I never had the 10053 error when using that version.

Just wanted to add this to the list of possible problems. There could be possible conflicts with you AV software.
I had McAfee version 8.0 Enterprise edition (my school gives us copies as part of our technology fee) and it would not let connect, uninstalling it fixed the problem. Going back to AVG.
It could be an issue with xp2 and it's new security feature to limit half open TCP connections.. Check out this page..
http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=4226patch/faq
This error (also?) means that you have been nuked.
I have the working solution for McAfee 8.0

Sorry for my english, im french, but i will tell you how wink
Right-Click on McAfee system tray icon, Consol VirusScan, on the new window, right-click on Acces protection (my mcafee is in french, but, its the first thing in the list), proprieties, and on the list in the middle of the window, you have 2 IRC block, delete it, apply, and its done smile

Thanks a lot for your help, thats help me to find the solution smile And sorry again for my english
thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the McAfee tip!!

i was getting so mad but ur solution worked perfectly!! i didnt even know it was blocking ports.. i was blaming zonealarm!

thanks
Hi,
I've been reading just about anything and everything I can find about 10053 error, since I encountered this error 27 hours ago, and I have yet to fix the problem.
In my case, this is how it shows:

[15:39] * Connect retry #1 irc.rizon.net (6666)
-
[15:39] -irc.rizon.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
[15:39] -irc.rizon.net- *** Checking Ident
-
[15:39] -irc.rizon.net- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
-
[15:48] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
[15:48] * Disconnected
-
[15:48] * Connect retry #2 irc.rizon.net (6662)
-
[15:51] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
[15:51] * Disconnected

There are two oddities I noticed.
1. Normally, after showing "Couldn't look up your hostname" message, it procedes to check IP address, then connection establishes. However, it hasn't done that since this error occured.
2. There is abnormally long delay (or generally slow) during the connection attempts. It took 12 minutes to try connecting twice, and I found it strange, since it rarely takes more than 2 minutes to connect.

Here are my connection:
Windows XP Professional SP1
.edu T1 connection
mIRC 6.14 with SysReset 2.53

I have tried to use different IRC programs including UPP, and xchat, with same result. Along the line, I heard a rumor about IT having ability to block IRC from school net, but it does not seem likely. I am leaning towards server equipment failure, or error due to attack, but I cannot be sure.

Can someone help me? I read the common cause/solution, and it doesn't seem to fix the issue. And I am also bothered by "Couldn't look up your hostname" line. Any suggestion?
I have had the same troubles for quite some time. Typically aborting every few minutes. This problem wasn't just with MIRC, but also with my online game, Gemstone IV. After tons of research and web surfing I found something that worked for me. So, to add to your list of resolutions...

Alternately, you may follow these steps to rebuild your Winsock manually:
1) Go to Control Panel | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings and clear all of the boxes.
2) Re-create the Winsock2 registry entries:
a. Un-install ICS (if installed).
b. Un-install Dial-Up Networking. Do NOT reboot.
c. Delete registry key HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
d. Re-install Dial-Up Networking. Reboot.
e. Re-install ICS (if desired).

If you are running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, it is recommended you repair your Winsock using the following instructions:

1) click Start, click Run and type CMD and click OK.
2) At the command prompt type: netsh winsock reset catalog (and press Enter)
3) At the command prompt type: Exit (and press Enter)

Also, check to see if your Winsock is broken or corrupted using any of these utilities:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html (for Win98, 98se & ME)

http://digital-solutions.co.uk/lavasoft/whndnfix.zip (Win 95, 98, 98se & ME, this will open up in WinZip.)

http://www.hometownohio.com/faq/files/WinsockXPFix.exe (for Win XP, this is an executable file.)

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 (for Windows 98/Me/NT/2000 or XP.)

I'm also going to change my NIC card, but since I ran the utility above for XP and reset the winsock, I haven't seen this error at all.

Good luck with this headache if you have it!
I’ve tried the tricks mentioned in this thread and still no go.

My problem started when I converted to DirecWay (Sat Internet) and it’s with one particular server. While I do get the message occasionally on all servers that I’m on, this one doesn’t even let me connect. I’m running WinXP (SP2) and have all the updates.

* Connecting to 203.98.164.26 (6669)
-
* [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
* Disconnected
-
* Connect retry #1 203.98.164.26 (6669)
-
-
Iam gettign this problem with the SuprNova Server basically, What could be the problem, programs running:
mIRC 1.16 w/ NNScript 3.81
MSN 7.0 BETA
AIM
Azureus 2.2.2.0
STEAM
ZoneAlarm Pro

I see one the solutions is to uninstall MSN, hiow would that effect it?
I'm having that [10053] problem too. I know the reason but im not sure how i can fix it so i need help.

If i idle i get disconnected. I think it's my router's firewall becouse i dont have that problem when i take it off. But i dont want to take it off so im asking if you can help me. Im using mIRC 6.16 with NNS 3.81.

I need your help!
I havent used mirc in awhile, but recently started using again and geting this error. So far I've just upgraded to newest mirc verison to see if itd fix it, it didnt.

Right now we have wireless networking in our house with comcast, but my comp is hardwired. The cable modem/ wirless router is a Linksys Wireless-G cable Gateway model # WCG200-CG. Does this function as a nat, because I also use a linksys befsr41, and itd probably be a bad idea to use 2 nAT's but I was getting this error even before I reconnected my NAT.

BTW, I only get this error with EnterThegame, never Gamesurge and I always connect to both. So does that rule out the possibility of it being my system?

Also some people say to configure TCP settings because windows default settings are usually for slower connections, how do I do that? All I need to know is where to find the settings, I'll figure out the rest. Any other advice would be appreciated smile
I had the same problem with MAfee v8. I couldn't connect at all no matter what IRC client I used.

There are options in the configuration for port blockers. Scroll through this and remove the IRC one's. Since I've done that I've been okay.
Posted By: Lawrence Re: 10053 error, how I feel about it - 02/03/05 07:56 PM
I certainly hope that they are working on this issue cause its affected everyone I talk to on mIRC. Seems to me like its more like a problem with the mIRC software rather then something in Windows. Hopefully the next version of mIRC will solve this problem
Posted By: Mentality Re: 10053 error, how I feel about it - 02/03/05 08:55 PM
This is unlikely, as it isn't a "bug" in mIRC. Bugs occur to everyone. The only time I ever get this error is when there's a problem with the server I'm on or if my Internet connection is interrupted.

This error does happen to everyone at some point, hence this thread. But a new version of mIRC is not going to fix it.

Regards,
i have this problem.I use mirc and i am connected to 2 networks.Sometimes it disconnects me and tells me software caused connection abort.How can i solve this?
There's no one solution for this problem. Read through the suggestions given in this topic and try them.
Currently running v6.15 on Windows XP Home SP2. AIM, MSN 6.2, Mozilla 1.02, Norton Antivirus 2005, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 also running. I live on a university campus, and I do not use a router. Three days ago mIRC started giving me the 10053 Software caused connection abort message, and will not stop doing so. I can connect to irc.enterthegame.com just fine, but upon doing anything, such as setting a mode, ctcp/notice, priv msg, or sending text to a channel, it disconnects me after roughly 30 seconds. During my entire time on this network (as well as other networks that have done the exact same thing), I cannot see/receive any messages that were sent. I've gone through my computer and tested all the suggestions listed here in this thread. I've scanned numerous times with different programs for both viruses and spyware/malware. I can't find anything that could be causing this error. I've tried mIRC v6.14 through 6.16, and each time, the same thing happens. Is this a software error indeed? Or is it more likely a network error? I can telnet to irc.enterthegame.com, but I couldn't figure out quite how to communicate within the telnet window. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: Orban Re: 10053 error, PROBLEM SOLVED! - 21/04/05 04:55 PM
I tried ALL kind of things to get rid off that 10053 error.
My PC was directly connected to my modem ( speedtouch 510 )
Then at a moment I had a LAN switch connected between my PC and modem...my problems were SOLVED!
From then on, I had NO 10053 errors.

Listen:I didn't change anything in my configuration ( modem or PC) or didn't install some software,I just connected a LAN switch between my PC and modem,that was ALL! grin
Posted By: SSJ2_Ryu [10053] Software caused connection - 22/04/05 09:33 AM
I just installed Norton Antivirus today and noticed I got this error again after so long of not having it. It would appear something to do with Norton Antivirus causing this problem. I had Panda Titanium Antivirus before and never had the problem until recently installing Norton Antivirus so Norton must be the cause for me. Does anyone know if Norton has some setting to be turned off or on so I don't get this error anymore?
Posted By: SladeKraven Re: [10053] Software caused connection - 22/04/05 11:28 AM
I've not used NAV for a very long time, can't you right click on the NAV icon in the system tray to disable it?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: [10053] Software caused connection - 22/04/05 01:18 PM
The latest Norton automatically turns on its firewall and that has caused many people to have problems without knowing why. Just kill the firewall. Or kill Norton!!! laugh
Posted By: Mentality Re: [10053] Software caused connection - 22/04/05 04:14 PM
It has an "Internet Worm Protection" feature which acts a bit like a firewall, it COULD be the issue. I had problems with it too (i.e. blocking IdentD), but I don't recall getting this error.

To disable it, go to Norton Antivirus 'Options' and undernet Internet click on 'Internet Worm Protection', then uncheck the box at the top.

Regards,
I recently just got a new computer. I use to use mIRC (SysReset 2.53) fine and have no problems but ever since I got the new computer I have been getting 10053 errors. This seems to occur a short while after I start a DCC send/receive, I can stay connected as long as I want if DCC doesn't start. When this error occurs, it seems my entire connection to the internet dies. I can't even access the router settings once this error has occured (I have to use the laptop, which remains connected, to the internet and router) This problem is fixed as soon as the computer reboots. But as soon as I try to do anything on mIRC with DCC it wll have a 10053 error. Any suggestions? I actually read through the entire thread and tried the suggestions there already..
It also seems that my router reports "SYN Flood Attack Detect", i don't exactly know what this means... or if it even has anything to do with this error. But it does seem to show up every time irc is on.
This problem is defnetly Port based:
why ?
I myself had this problem ages ago but then i got my bnc (bnc on port 40000) now when this morning my bnc got disconected i saw the 10053 error after a few houres again.

When I try to connect to a diffrent server with default ports (6667-6669 , like quakenet where i'm at) he gives me the 10053 error , on the other hand when i connect to a server with port other then 6667-6669 like irc.insiderz.de (6661)
I get connected instantly (same with my bnc on port 40000)

Don't ask me howcome.

specs:
Internet: cable
Amd64 athlon 3000+
512 mb ram
SP2 win XP had it with SP1 to

EDIT:

I FOUND A SOLUTION !
I went to the www.quakenet.org site and looked for a quakenet server with a difrent server port then 6667-6669
AND got connected IMMEDIATLY !
dont use port 6667 to connect to a network. Most networks have a range of ports, usually within 6660-6669,7000-7001 and you can specify a port with /server some.server.here:7000

connect to the server's ip instead of domain (ie, /server 123.456.789.123 instead of /server some.domain.here)

so lets say i want to connect to 2 networks in chatchanel and grnet through perform.What should i put in chatchannel perform to connect to grnet too? /server darkness.irc.gr:7000(grnet server) or /server grnets ip??

Pls tell me which way u recommend me in order to connect to grnet and how can i see grne's ip?
Quote:
dont use port 6667 to connect to a network. Most networks have a range of ports, usually within 6660-6669,7000-7001 and you can specify a port with /server some.server.here:7000

connect to the server's ip instead of domain (ie, /server 123.456.789.123 instead of /server some.domain.here)

so lets say i want to connect to 2 networks in chatchanel and grnet through perform.What should i put in chatchannel perform to connect to grnet too? /server darkness.irc.gr:7000(grnet server) or /server grnets ip??

Pls tell me which way u recommend me in order to connect to grnet and how can i see grne's ip?

To find out a server's IP, type /dns irc.whatever.net
yea but u didnt answer me what to put in the perform

/server some.server.here:7000

or /server and the ip???

Pls let me know
Either may work, if you want to connect via the IP then you can use /server ip.goes.here. If you want to connect to the name server, /server irc.server.name.

Regards,
sth else.Is there going to be in the future a new version of mirc which will fix this problem?
Like Mentality said, either method will work. Connecting via the IP numbers doesn't give you a more stable connection but it will get you connected to the IRC server a little bit quicker (one or two seconds) because you're bypassing your ISP's DNS server.
ok i got that but i asked:Is there going to be in the future a new mirc version which will fix the problem?
The ports that work have nothing to do with mIRC. Some networks have extra ports they allow. Some use only the default ports. If you have issues on a specific port, then don't use it. Not much else to do. I personally connect fine on any port.
It's quite possible/probable that it cannot be fixed within mIRC. Bug fixes/features are rarely pre-announced, so nobody can answer that question (except Khaled, who probably won't answer it).

Regards,
Quote:
Since we have so many threads/posts on this issue, i'm going to condense. Use our search feature, set it to All Forums, expand the date range to ALL, and use 10053 as search term to wade thru all the threads. Note that i'm not including all the various hardware & hiccups things that can cause the occasional 10053 disc.

Many users have been reporting frequent random 10053 disconnect problems during DCC. This seems to be an issue primarily with winXP and occasionally win2k. No one has found a one solution fits all answer, but many have said one or more of the following stopped the problem.

-disable winxp's firewall

-dont use port 6667 to connect to a network. Most networks have a range of ports, usually within 6660-6669,7000-7001 and you can specify a port with /server some.server.here:7000

-dont use "speed patches" that supposedly increase your download speed. (note some of them effect your registry, use speed patch as your search term)

-update your router drivers/firmware. (some have said they needed to use something other than the ones supplied by the manufacturer)

-connect to the server's ip instead of domain (ie, /server 123.456.789.123 instead of /server some.domain.here)

-limit how many networks or other apps you are running

-some have the prob not while dcc sending, but when idle for long periods of time. try creating a channel and using a timer to make a post every so often.

-changing NIC card

-uninstall MSN IM

-check for patches for everything from windows to the equipment you have.

-some ppl have reported this happening with scripts that appear to have compatibility issues, so try with a clean copy of mIRC to check

I'll add another.. if you get this error every time you connect to a server then also check if you have the latest McAfee installed, there is a 'new' option which by default blocks port 25 and all IRC ports.. yeah, did cost me only about 1 week to figure this out..
* Open Virusscan console (rightclick icon in systray and select virusscan console)
* Open Acces Protection
* Uncheck Prevent IRC communication

So there are propably more antivirus programs which has this new feature.. mad
Good to know. I have the latest McAfee, but haven't had issues. Most likely it just didn't turn on by default since my updates are all automatic updates.
I have this error too. My case is a little different too. It seems that all of the computers on the campus server that I am on have the same thing too. I can't connect to any server through mIRC. When I open it up, it tries to auto connect and brings up the "[10053] Software caused connection abort." If anyone has any idea of what this could be that would be great.

I'm running Xp through a campus connection, It works fine on my laptop when I'm at home, but when I'm on campus I can't connect. Any help would be greatly welcomed, I miss talking on mIRC.
Contact your college's IT/IS department and see if they are preventing IRC connections. If they are, you can ask them if they can allow connection to IRC... but they probably won't.
Yeah, I'm pretty surt they wont, Is there an easy way around it?
I'm sorry, but we can't help you to bypass your college's security settings.
Sorry, I just was wondering if there was a known port issues with most security devices or something like that.
It's not a matter of a port "issue" if they are blocking IRC. Your best option is really to ask them if they are blocking IRC connections. If they say they aren't, then we would know there's another problem.
Hi,

i ahve the problem that the error occurs wen im idle. u said that a simple script with a timer that posts somethoing to a channel could help. but im an mirc noob, could u post me what to do? pleas, i mean the complete script, i dont want to learn scripting just for that issue!

tanks a lot and best regards
DreadKing
OK, you wuols setup a code like this:

Code:
on 1:LOAD:{
  /timer 0 45 /msg #channel INACTIVITY SCRIPT MESSAGE
}

And get that to load everytime yoo start up mIRC. I tried this fix, but it doesn't work frown
ok, thx, ill give it a try!
best regards
dreadking
thats one way, but how about:
Code:
on *:connect: {
timer [ $+ [ $network ] $+ . $+ [ $server ] $+ .ping ] 0 30 raw ping $server $ticks
}
on ^&amp;*:pong: {
%lag = $duration($calc(($ticks - $2) / 1000))
}

I did not test it, but i have somthing simular running on my mIRC smile
I'm getting the 10053 error the instant I try to connect. Here's what's showing up...

[19:32] * Connect retry #88 irc.esper.net (6667)
-
[19:32] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
[19:32] * Disconnected
-
[19:32] * Connect retry #89 66.249.6.40 (6667)
-
[19:32] * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
-
[19:32] * Connect retry #90 irc.esper.net (6667)
-
[19:32] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
[19:32] * Disconnected

What, exactly, is going on?
[10053] Software caused connection abort

I get this error ever time I finish an xdcc send. The program locks up while the anti-virus software checks for viruses when the xdcc is complete..so it seems. Right after the anti-virus finishes the scan (approx 5-8mins), the program comes back alive but I have been kicked out from the network (disconnected). When I take a look at the new xdcc file on my computer, it is not complete either, and every time I try to retreive the file again to complete it, the same crash happens to me. XPsp2, I am using mIRC 6.12. Maybe I should try an older version, if it is still available. Love the program, pleeeeease help me out ppl, kthx!
Since you state that this happens after you've downloaded a file using XDCC, then this request, in my opinion, falls under the rule regarding file sharing, which states that we do not assist with those types of requests.
For staying connected I use this in options->perform for all servers:

Code:
/join #Keep_Alive
/timer5 0 120 /msg #Keep_Alive Keep Alive
* Connecting to irc.eu.gamesurge.net (6667)
-
Local host: sean (129.1.244.15)
-
-
* Disconnected

thats wqhat I get and the funny thing si that this only started happening when I finally moved my PC into school. everything worked fine at home though

should i just un-installit and start all over agian?
First off, I hope EVERYONE see's this. Any admin should do all they can to make sure this gets properly published.

Ok, I am a Physical Security Specialist. One important part of my job is testing network security. About a year or so back, I designed a network in which I tested it's security daily using Multi-Threaded vulnerability scanners such as x-scan v1.3, nmap, accessdiver, ares, l0pht and eventually nessus. All of which I have used on different platforms(Win98,2000,XP). I have never had this problem from 98 or 2000, which makes me think this problem is an XP issue. All of these programs do consume quite a bit of bandwidth and memory. I started getting those [10053] errors, at the very time Microsoft came out with Service pack 2(which I did install) for XP. Ever since then, NONE of my Multi-Threaded scanners work, and if i try to scan ANYTHING, my mIRC hangs/disconnects, and gives the 10053 error. THIS DOES NOT ONLY AFFECT mIRC! It affects all programs initiating the tcp/ip protocol.

I have done extensive research on this, and I found some information relating it to Microsofts Service pack 2. It's said that ole Bill added pragma to restrict the flow of packets sent locally(and remotely, I believe).

No matter what he did, or what I may have done to start getting these errors,, It has rendered XP, mIRC, nmap, x-scan, etc. completely USELESS for me.

I uninstalled the Service pack 2, and It didn't work. So I re-installed Windows without the service pack. That worked for about a month then I installed Zone-Alarm, the problem came back.

Recap:
This is not only a mIRC issue.
This does affect ALL programs using tcp/ip protocol(Makes web browser/ftp/p2p etc. hang).
Although I can't pinpoint the problem for sure, assumption brings me to believe it's an XP issue with their Service pack 2, hence I've never had this problem on 98/2k.
If it's not XP, it's firewall issues.

BUT I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!
Take this time to migrate to Linux Debian. It's 10x more stable, and security is infinately more advanced. Viruses only exist because windows allows them. Even though one could inject malicious code into a vulnerable Linux box, it can not spread itsself, because it's contained into it's specific module, hence there aren't any REAL viruses on Linux and no renegade registery keys to worry about. There is even an online installer to install it automatically.

I love mIRC too much, and have too small of a budget to buy pain relievers every time mIRC take's a nosedive.

I don't want to step over the line, but I urge Khalid and all of the developers to create a Linux distro, before irssi and xchat surpass mIRC's functionality. I would trust a halfassthrowntogetherbetaversion of mIRC on Linux way before that on Windows.

I hope this helps someone, and hope the world takes my advice about Linux, it's scary to switch, but well worth the ride. On that note: mIRC I love you but I gotta go.
Thanks for taking the time to report one of the things which has effected you and your solution.

I feel however, that it is important to stress to anyone reading this thread that your solution to the problem is not necessarily the one for every Windows XP user out there. This error can happen for many reasons and Para (and others) have posted various solutions to help. For example, I have Windows XP SP2 and the only time I get this error is when a problem happens on the server's end, and that's rare.

Heavily promoting Linux on a forum relating to a program which only works on Windows is just asking for trouble, so do be careful smile

Regards,
Quote:
BUT I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!
Take this time to migrate to Linux Debian. It's 10x more stable, and security is infinately more advanced. Viruses only exist because windows allows them. Even though one could inject malicious code into a vulnerable Linux box, it can not spread itsself, because it's contained into it's specific module, hence there aren't any REAL viruses on Linux and no renegade registery keys to worry about. There is even an online installer to install it automatically.

Now let me get this straight, you have a car that stalls sometimes, so the solution is to buy a speedboat?
[ Mirc crashes sometimes in windows so use linux (which it doesnt work on). ]

Oh and dont be sticking ya head in the sand about how safe unix is, it appears untouched becuase the big windows whale is thrashing around with so many attacks on it, that knowone notices the unix dolphins swim by, everyone still gets caughjt in the drift net in the end.
Ok people, I dont mean to kick up dust, and certainly dont want to turn this into a (excuse my realism) pissing contest (which I'd win), but replies to my post do nothing but create more threads to an already crowded topic. I have been dealing with this issue months before the first thread about this topic was posted, and over a year later I have still not found an iron clad way to get around this problem. I'm glad that people in the mIRC community are taking time to try to help people with this problem(ie: Mentality), but I'm afraid and feel confident that if you have this problem, as mentioned in my previous post, then your just out of luck :P

I hate saying that as much as It may upset people dealing with this repetitave problem, but I feel I've done everything I could, including calling Dell(which said 10053 was a network settings error = no help) to find a solution to this problem,,, to no avail.

To DaveC: I realize(wether you do or not) that EVERY OS(including openBSD, which has had one exploit in 8 years), and most programs including mIRC(which has had a few critical security holes) are succeptible to being exploited in one way or another. As a Physical Security Specialist I accept and embrace this as part of life as well as part of my job to identify. I'm not as arrogant as I am "upfront", but I will tell you/the world and Bill Gates himself for that matter that Window's is one of the most unsecure operating systems, and until Bill re-writes Windows from ground up (which will never happen) and actually sacrafices some usabilty/eyecandy for security, then I advise against using it. Far beyond 3/4 of Linux's exploits come from MISCONFIGURED SERVERS and/or bad cgi scripting which make up for more than %50 of exploits on the web. But just because some cgi script is exploitable does not mean it's Linux's fault. As a perl/cgi coder, I admit to have written exploitable code as well as written code to test these holes.
Bottom line,, Windows is a MASSIVE, inpenetrable, pretty safe,,,,,,,,,, that has a lil hole in the back of it that any one can reach in and grab what they want, and now that windows source code has been distributed(cough,Cough),, expect large numbers of exploits to arise. And please remember Linux is/has been and will always be open source which was around before the first stable distro of Windows 3.1(Yes, it was out before Windows). Linux was written by hackers, and the source is, and has been thoroughly screened by them for over 15 years now.
Unfortunately I require my computers to be hot rods, and when they stall or govern out at 60 mph,, they are well on their way to the junkyard as far as I'm concerned, and/or on their way to ebay to someone who wants to deal with it.
Please leave security to me.

And PS. mIRC DOES work on Linux :P
Although you have to do a semi-007, check out http://www.winehq.com and read http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/linux.html

Ok, back on the subject :P

If you've read this far, I either annoyed you by my last post or your having these 10053 problems.

Either of which, I'd like to take a pro-active role on this issue and ask anyone that has this problem to post some info other than the fact that you got an 10053 error, which we know, and some system spec's.

First off I agree that if it repetitvely happens when you initially boot mIRC and will NOT let you connect to ANY IRC server, IT IS A FIREWALL/NETWORK SETTING ERROR which is not isolated to the mIRC client only, but to all IRC client's. This "brand" of 10053 error is correctable by you or your network admin. If your on a college campus,,, forget it. I assure you, your net admin will do nothing but tell you he does'nt allow IRC connections as I dont on my workplace environments. Either way fiddle around with your firewall settings and try again and/or try a different client to make sure your allowed to connect to irc ports. If you try another client and it still will not connect, I can almost guarantee you that your firewall/net admin has blocked your IRC access. As a realist, I admit that there are ways around this, and only because there are legit/legal services that offer this kind of help, I will advise you to google BNC.

Now if you have the same problem as I do, I'll recap on my symptom's:

mIRC works fine with no error until I run memory intensive; Multi--threading; tcp/ip protocal utilizing program's such as x-scan/nmap/accessdiver/ares/etc.
When I do run them, the programs seem to run fine, but yield no results. and when I get the 10053 error on mIRC, all of my internet services hang such as my web browser/ftp/p2p etc. for about 5 minutes, representing that of a DDoS and or DoS attack(Im sure it's not btw).

So if you have problems identical to mine, please post your computer make; model; processor; any service packs(IMPORTANT! make sure to check for service pack 2), and if you use any other memory consuming/multi-threading tcp/ip utilizing programs, such as those I have listed.

I request this so that we may be able to isolate this problem to certain systems/service packs etc.

I hope that people will follow thru with this as I am confident this is(as of this time) the only thing we can do about it(except switch to Linux or course :P).

If any one has any other not idea's but solution's please post them, I'd love to hear them.

Ps. I assure you any timer script will not work for this. This is a local problem not an IRC server issue. The only thing that an IRC server wants to see(under most cases) is a PONG to their PING. And as long as your client replies you should have no problem staying connected.
I'll start,

I have the 10053 error problem on the following computers:

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 P4 HT desktop with Service pack 2 installed on windows XP.

I also have a IBM Thinkpad X series with a pentium M on XP with Service pack 2 installed.

I run Multi-threaded software on both.

I'm not a gambler but I bet that the people that have the problem's as I do, are ALL on XP being as none of my other 98/2k pc's(4 that I have tested) have had this problem chronically.
Quote:
pissing contest (which I'd win), .. etc etc ..: I realize(wether you do or not) that EVERY OS(including openBSD, which has had one exploit in 8 years), ...etc etc .

Wow i better not say much, i wouldnt want to get wet now.

Anyway, while windows has holes, i disagree with your access ments, most are as you stated about unix just miss configures, its just most admins dont take the time to deal with all potential problems.

oh and i dont consider running an emulation/partial interface of another OS as being running something in unix, this is of course subjective as to the meaning of "runs in" or "runs on"

Q : Can u drive a car across the paciffic ocean?
A : ummm no, well maybe yes, i could drive it around a super tanker, while it sailed across that ocean, does that count? It doesnt does it?, no i didnt think so. frown
I have had this error too when running memory intensive programs, i also sometimes get other errors thrown up by other progs when doing the same
It seams to be a winxp service pack 2 problem
when i had sp1 it was fine
Same problem here, but at least i know the reason.

Recently i modified my 3COM Dual Link Adsl Modem to a Router OfficeConnect 812 changing the firmware. The problems began from that moment on.

The Router cannot handle too many conections from torrents for example and it resets by itself.

Mirc start to give me the 10053 error and i am pretty sure it´s a hardware limitation or simple a port forwarding configuration.

Even so, i made my PC a NAT workstation ( which means i opened all ports to my ip, not the safest procedure, but what the hell ) and still i am having this problem.

Tried manually configurate 10 ports and make mirc use then, still the same problem.

So i have no ideia what to do, i will set up a timer today and tomorrow morning i will see the results. But it´s pretty anoying.

By the way, when the error occur, the router is still conected, no reset, adsl line is ok, but my other programs stop responding for a couple os seconds and then come back to normal.
i have this annoying problem on XP SP1...

starting to wonder wtf is happening...

on WinME/2000 i didnt have this EVER !

/msg Khaled will 6.18 be more stable ?
I get this problem on all of my systems at one time or another, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens. Sometimes I go for weeks without a problem, other times I've seen it come up two or three times in about half an hour. I finally gave up trying to make heads or tails of it, and just have my system reconnect & rejoin channels automatically.

Various systems running Window 98SE, Windows ME, Windows XP SP2, & Xandros
ok, this is defiantely mirc fault.
i have 2 6.16 running and i just executed on first mirc /whois command on myself and i got this [10053] Software caused connection abort, so i look on other mirc what error it is (so i can compare) coz i have them in same channels, but look at miracle, mirc (2) didnt even showed mirc(1) quit...

so i guessed mirc(2) is also f*cked up now...
i do the same //whois $me on mirc(2) and woila
[10053] Software caused connection abort

yep, i beg khaled you to fix this on 6.18
it become too much annoying
which version of IRC Should i then use, im using adsl from a private pc at home
Quote:
Well, I ran Housecall ( http://housecall.antivirus.com ) after getting the same odd problem, and within seconds it had removed a malware file called mircflood, an all is fine again!
Hooray for online virus scanners!

My friend has a son that isnt too bright with computers and he was pressing yes to every little pop up that was showing up on his machine. This was with norton running. My friend didn't think much of it. Sort of a "If he breaks it he's gotta deal with it" attitude. (Their machines dont share files back and forth on the LAN)

Well today we used his machine to test something. We ran his copy of irc on his machine and it was fine even though my friends copy of irc on his usual machine was always having the error.

I forget why but my friend turned off his son's machine and all of a sudden the problem went away on HIS machine.

Moral of this story. Check all the machine's in your house for wierd activity. I am going to bet that my friend's son's machine has one or more virus or other malwares and was spamming his network when it was on.

His son is getting a nice new formatted harddrive for breakfest. laugh
Quote:
I'll add another.. if you get this error every time you connect to a server then also check if you have the latest McAfee installed, there is a 'new' option which by default blocks port 25 and all IRC ports.. yeah, did cost me only about 1 week to figure this out..
* Open Virusscan console (rightclick icon in systray and select virusscan console)
* Open Acces Protection
* Uncheck Prevent IRC communication

So there are propably more antivirus programs which has this new feature.. mad

I owe you the biggest Thank You in the world. I've had this Error for a long time and tried many many solutions. This was it! Simple and quick. I hope others try it and I hope it fixes everything.
i wonder on who's fault this is...

i have 2 mirc 6.17 connected from my pc constantly online
one is me, second is bot.

and today i look at channels on 1st mirc that i use and i notice
that during night i was disconnected 7 times from network
with ofc this glorious message...

while looking on bot (mirc 2) nothing happened...

wouldn't be logical that they both died 7 times at same time
if it was due DSL modem or ISP ?
...or maybe the two were connected to different servers
and the server 1 was connected to was the problem?
indeed... so what is conclusion then :P ?
No conclusion, just another possibility wink
I had the windows xp firewall runing then thought id download a different firewall and turn off the windows one and so far after 2 hrs mirc hasnt disconnected on me.
well i find this stupid coz on WinME i never EVER !
had this things happening...
when i swithched to win2k and later xp, they both
started to manifest this.
hmm, anyone know how to make a script that will auto-send random msgs to a channel?

this would solve my idle problem.
Code:
On ^*:Open:?:*: {
  if ($nick == $me) close -m $nick
  haltdef
}

Put the above code in remotes (Alt + R)

And type /timerme 0 3 /.msg $me moo

Basically that sends you a message every 3 seconds instead of sending one to a channel and flooding the room. BUt you wont notice you sending the message to yourself as the ^ prevents it from opening.

-Andy
ok guys i have posted in another thread and was asked to try the things in here I did. I read that soeone said it is a server/ip problem in my case it isnt. I can connect to the server using one irc client but not any others.

i can connect with
LeafCHAT (Cant use this one because i need a Perform)

i can't connect with:
mIRC (i have been using MIRC for 3-4 years)
vIRC
xChat
not even the webirc from the hosters website.

I get that exact error and it goes through 99 retries.
Ok I found out how to fix this problem. My computer needed to have a static ip from which I was told by the installation of my router's manual it said to obtain. So anyways i can connect to my irc server.

I went onto the dlink website. Looked at the tech support for port forwarding. inputed my ip + port. Went to network connections properties on the ip one. made my ip as static filled in the gateway as the router. got the 2 main DNS servers from my ISP. Saved all of that rebooted my system. loaded mIRC. It took 10 seconds to connect to the server. everything was working.

So if anyone Has a DSL-504g router copy what i did and see if this works.

1. go to http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/
2. chose your router/modem
3. click on Open ports.
4. how to open ports.
5. Do everything they say. Add your isp Dns servers in the network card configure.
6. Save the settings.
7. Reboot your own system.
8. Login to your mirc network.

Turtle
I have been using mIRC for a long time, and on win98 SE i never used to get that error. When I got a new XP box though, I started getting that error every hour. Firstly I installed a winsock fix, and that seemed to work, since i could get more than 3hours uptime. However, I had some problems with it later on, and i have to "reinstall" windows. What I did later on, was to disable many default services on XP that are useless. That might be a coincidence but yet i could get better uptimes.
Then in my surprise i noticed that, whenever I had "Bitcomet" (a torrent client) running on my backround, downloading stuff, i could get really cool uptimes. (Uptime: 2days 6hrs 21mins 16secs).
I then tried by downloading other things from the internet, like downloading things from ftps and https and it all worked.

So, my conclusion is that if you are keeping your line busy (i am on an adsl btw) you are getting higher uptimes! (Tried this on two computers and seems to work) However you can't be always downloading things from the internet.
Seems to be the opposite for me. A constant stream of data for long periods will cause me to disconnect more often than I would if I wasn't using much of my bandwidth.
Dont think that it
I have had windows xp for yearsssss

and mirc and the same time like for 7 years

why all of a sudden is it happening i havent done

anything different to my computer

what do u know??
Erm... hello. I have this weird problem with mIRC and it's making me really frustrated. Sorry if this was already addressed here, if so I probably missed it.

I can only connect to IRCHighway. When I try to connect to any other server, it just says: "Unable to connect to server (software caused connection abort)". I disabled my firewall and everything and nothing has changed. Tried to connect through IP adress too, and it didn't work... it just goes on and on forever, retrying to connect but it always gives me the same error message. I really don't know what to do.

EXAMPLE
* Connecting to irc.irctoo.net (6667)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Software caused connection abort)
-
* Connect retry #1 66.216.113.21 (6667)
-
-
* Connect retry #2 irc.irctoo.net (6667)
-

... and so on. The same with every other server, except IrcHighway, it connects just fine (usually on the second try) to this one. Oh and I hope I am posting in the right place...
Port 6667 has caused problems for some people. Try a different port by typing /server irc.irctoo.net:6666 in the status window.
*sigh* Thanks! But... I just tried it and the result is the same... frown

It seems my mIRC only likes IRCHighway...
I am having the same problems as all of you guys, but i just noticed another connection between things. The longer my computer stays online, the better uptimes i get.

For example, if I have my computer turned on for only a day i can get an uptime of like up to 3 hours. This is the third day i have it turned it on and yesterday i had an uptime of 9 hours.
Also having the idle variation of this problem, with both mIRC 6.16 (w/ Sysreset) and Supybot, under WinXP SP2. It's happened at least once on every server I go to, but seems to favor Aniverse and Animerealm.

The funny thing is, it's off and on. Last time it happened was a couple weeks ago, and rebooting solved it. This time, it started last night and, after a couple disconnects while I was sleeping, worked fine for most of the day, after which there were a couple isolated incidents.

It dosen't seem to coincide with a general loss of connectivity, and although I do use ZoneAlarm, I have both IRC and Python set to the maximum permission level. What can be done short of making a "keep alive" script? Thanks.
well I've done everyhting on the list including turning off of my xp firewall (whihc Im uneasy about) and it still doesnt solve the problem. I thought next that it might be my wireless since about 2 minutes before the connection interuption my wireless disconnects the reconnects right away, but that doesnt sound right since my trillian and Mirc btoh seem to stay connected... well Mirc goes off about 3 minutes after that and say that it was caused by software. but if it was the internet going off why not just say "lost connection" or "connection timed out" I still dont get it. I think it might have something to do with the symantic anti-virus since its crappy anyway. and since I really cant do anything about it I guess I have to live with or see if there are any updates for my plugins which I just updated about 2 days ago to thier most recent versions. and they both say they are compatible with mirc 6.20 so highly doubt its that cause it was doing it before that as well.
Quote:
well I've done everyhting on the list including turning off of my xp firewall (whihc Im uneasy about) and it still doesnt solve the problem. I thought next that it might be my wireless since about 2 minutes before the connection interuption

That's the cause of your IRC disconnect. It takes a while for the server to drop you but it will when your router drops. Fix that and you'll fix your IRC problem.

Quote:
but if it was the internet going off why not just say "lost connection" or "connection timed out" I still dont get it.

10053 means lost connection or the connection timed out.

Quote:
I think it might have something to do with the symantic anti-virus since its crappy anyway. and since I really cant do anything about it

Get a better AV - AVG and AntiVir are free.

Quote:
see if there are any updates for my plugins which I just updated about 2 days ago to thier most recent versions. and they both say they are compatible with mirc 6.20 so highly doubt its that cause it was doing it before that as well.

Turn your remotes off and see if it still happens, but if your router drops your internet connection, the IRC server will drop you.
I use a timer:
Code:
on *:CONNECT: {
timer 0 30 /pcheck
}

alias pcheck {
  if ($status = connected) {
    /raw pong FD411636
  }
}
I've tried every suggestion mentioned in this thread to no avail. Everytime I try to use dcc I lose connection and have to reboot to regain access. My internet works fine with regular http/ftp/torrent downloads, but crashes with dcc, even when using other irc programs, so the problem is not with mirc. I've done the port forward thing so that's not the culprit.

Any other suggestions?
I keep getting this message
10053 error, software caused connection abort

I recently moved back to college and this is the 3rd day I've been back and i haven't gotten that message until today. i got it 10 times in 2 hours and the last time i connected to mIRC it stayed connected for less than 5 min. when i was at home i didn't get the error message. My college doesn't block mIRC either.
sometimes i get another error message instead of the 10053 error message.
i have win xp. i have noticed that when i idle for more than an hour it disconnects me. Until now i have had no problems with mIRC.
I keep gettin this message, it used to work fine of me about a week ago, but then when I came back from florida yesterday, I have been getting this message ever since. It would be great for any help, because getting disconnected like every 10 min is so annoying....thanks
If it suddenly started happening, I would check with your ISP to see if they are having any problems. I would also run antivirus and anti-trojan (such as Spybot Search & Destroy) just to see if maybe you got something that is interfering in some way. Basically, if it suddenly starts up, then there is some change that happened and you need to figure out what changed.
Help, kinda newbie here, mIRC was working Monday server irc.unitedchat.net, now its been down, I guess, since yesterday
I realize it's been a few hours since your post, however, I just tried to connect to that network, and it connected with no problems. If you were having problems, then I suggest you try again, or if you're still having problems, check their website
Hmmmm, I am testing something to see if it fixes my problem, but I had a thought about a possible source of the problem.

Looking at the properties for my network adapter, I see the QoS packet Scheduler. I didn't think about it sooner, but since this in theory prioritizes packets, it could be that it is the source of our problems. So, I did what anyone would do to test, remove the check from the box, and saw everything drop since the scheduler was being used, so it would reset all connections.

I will report if this stops the problem, but since the problem happens at random, it may take a few days/weeks to be sure if the problem is solved. My gut instinct here(as an old-school technical person) is that the QoS could screw things up for mIRC as well as other programs(giving priority to things that no one really cares about).
i got the same problem frown

i installed mcafee version 8, and my irc is down.
tryed many solutions, but none would work.

and the main problem is its not on my block list in mcafee :S

i got win xp and mcafee 7 doesnt work at my pc so i have to use 8
so how can i use it.

Cap
I fixed the problem inmy way...

try this..

If you use the internal NIC then raise your Receive- and Sendcache to 512 (default: 128) and fix the speed to 100 MBit/s full duplex (default: automatic).

You can find it under: LAN Connection/properties/config/advanced

plz let me know your results... ;-)

greetz

Zuul
I'm currently using an older pc [upgraded about 2 years ago, that one isn't working] which mirc used to work fine on. Couldn't connect to anything at first, and assumed it was my hall's firewall. I'm at home now, and still can't connect. I've checked our router, and it doesn't seem to be blocking any ports.
I've tried changing the ports, and that changes the error to a timeout. And it's pretty much everything I can think of to connect to irc that won't let me on.
Visit http://www.portforward.com/ for help. Also, keep in mind that firewalls can also prevent connection... not just routers.
im only getting this error on one server (irc.austnet.org) i tried changing ports and putting an older versino of mIRC back on both have not succeeded, other people on the same server dont seem to have any problems, ive also tried pretty much all other suggestions . when i am using linux everything is fine on irc, i get the error everytime i type something after being connected for about a minute, i have no problems when i first connect i can type all i want up until that minute or so =\
In addition to the other problems regarding this error, I've found (over about the past 3 months) that I get this error on a regular basis..every 12 hours at 5:24
It's annoying, but as it is regular, I can accomodate it.
Originally Posted By: RusselB
In addition to the other problems regarding this error, I've found (over about the past 3 months) that I get this error on a regular basis..every 12 hours at 5:24
It's annoying, but as it is regular, I can accomodate it.

Chances are, your ISP is running a regualar backup or some other scheduled maintenance that causes a small connection loss. mIRC is more susceptible to minor connection losses than other programs are.
I think so to, although they deny it.
I've never had any issues with mIRC before, and I've been using it for numerous years and on multiple machines / OS's.
I've reinstalled WinXP this week for the hundredth time and suddenly I get the software connection abort error.
I've done nothing different than the previous tens of times I reinstalled WinXP, AND I always just copy the same mIRC installation folder from my backup CD so I don't have to change any settings or so.

How can this happen??? Now I tried connecting with a different IRC client (Xchat) and suddenly it gave me the exact same problems, so it's definitely NOT mIRC related... What else could it be????
As you have probably noted, based on the number of posts in this topic, there is no one reason or solution.
Like you, I've used IRC (various clients) for years on multiple machines and using multiple os's, yet never came across this error until about 2 years ago, and it was so infrequent, I didn't pay much attention to it (something like once every 6/7 months).

Now, however, as I posted earlier, I'm getting it about every 12 hours. It's annoying, but my reconnect options work fine, and since I know about what time it happens, I have arranged a script to ensure that I'm logged in and using the same nick that I was using at the time of disconnection.
It could be a matter of forgetting to install motherboard drivers, or a bad NIC driver installation. It could also just be coincidence and it's just an ISP issue.
Well, it happens for me every 3-5 minutes...

Now that I think of it, the only thing I might have done different this time is the number of post-SP2 updates I installed... It's quite possible I installed some new ones I never installed before. Can't think of anything else, and it's definitely no ISP thing as my friends PC (same network) has no issues at all.
Originally Posted By: Ragrr
Well, it happens for me every 3-5 minutes...

You dont have a timer that trigger a script every 3-5 minutes? I can get this problem if a code i wrote have a fault in it, and then i have to rewrite it and problem is gone. Did you try a clean mirc, no scripts added, also try disable your virus protection for 10 minutes and see if it still happens.
Yep, don't use any scripts. And it's the same backup up mIRC installation folder I restore everytime, so nothing changed.

- mIRC: nothing changed
- ISP: nothing changed
- hardware: nothing changed
- WinXP: fresh install -> here lies the problem I suppose?
I use mirc and i recently got this error and until this moment i couldt get what was causing this.
But when i looked at my system log i found the following message:
"TCP/IP has reached the security limit"

after doing a google search i found this website:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

where you can replace a file that removes the tcp/ip limit on a sp2 system by replacing a file in your system.

i dont know if this is finaly a fix for this annoying problem but for all of you xp sp2 users try it and please report if this fix works.
I can confirm that this fix worked for me!!!

I now get a stable connection again!
Didn't work for me...

I did notice an error msg appears in my log viewer every time mIRC disconnects:

Quote:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 007231374ACE. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Anyone knows what's going on here?
Turn off the power to your modem and, if you have one, your router. Then, wait 10 seconds or so and turn on first the modem and let it fully initialize (all lights solid other than PC activity). If you have a router, turn it on after the modem is fully initialized. You should then be set.

Optionally, you can go to the start menu and choose Run. Type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

(Do the first, hit OK, then go back into Run and do the second.)

Either should reset your router/modem and get you back up and running when you have that sort of error message.
this error happens to happen every day it seems no matter how long i have been idle on talk city server... any ideas?
I had this error for the last 3 days... But it wasn't limited to mIRC, everything was getting disc every few seconds... Surfing to a site had me clicking refresh for about 5 times sometimes...

Checked for spyware and did a virus scan... Then I checked my router config and saw I was syn flooding... So from there I got help and it was easy to figure out...

Probably not a solution for most people in this topic, but if you encounter similar problems, just do this:

Start > run - type CMD and press enter.

Then in command type: netstat -ano

If you see a long list with syn_sent in the 4th column you need to check the number that's under PID for that row.

With that number in mind press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and go to processes, make sure you can see the PID in that tab (if not, go to VIEW > Selec Columns [Or something] and CHECK PID there). Then check and see if you see the PID you saw in CMD and check the process name... Write it down and kill it, then look for the process name on the web to find a way to get rid of it, or hunt it down yourself...

Mine was called soundys32.exe and I was unable to find that file on my PC, even though process explorer pointed me to windows\system32, nothing there... With hidden files enabled ofc.

Blah, just thought I would share, I got pissed of that my pc kept losing connection to the internet, first I thought it was just mIRC, then I noticed MSN kept relogging too and I couldn't browse at times. The weird thing was that World of Warcraft would stay logged in no matter what!
I used to get this 10053 error occoasionaly on most of the networks I frequent, but most often on one particular network anywhere between 1 to 4 disconnects every hour (just idling, unjoined).
After upgrading to version 6.3 from v.6.21 I haven't encountered it yet for over a day.. so it seems something has changed in mIRC v.6.3 to help with this issue for me at least.
Ok, so it's starting again.. on that one network that has given me trouble before. After nearly 2 days of a continuous connection, it happened twice in a row within 15 mins.. frown
You obviously forgot to knock on wood after your first post, that'll teach ya. smirk
Hello,
A newbie here - I just downloaded and installed mIRC and want to get onto Austnet but it just wont connect. I have disabled the Windows XP firewall ... I don't know what to do now?
Which server address and port are you using?
on *:sockclose:rawout*:echo -t @commands $sockname lost $sockerr $sock($sockname).wsmsg

[19 14:56:42] rawout.1480914972.XXX lost 3 [10053] Software caused connection abort
[19 14:57:43] rawout.1405060707.XXX lost 3 [10053] Software caused connection abort
[19 14:57:45] rawout.1393380566.XXX lost 3 [10053] Software caused connection abort
[19 14:57:48] rawout.1477683035.XXX lost 3 [10053] Software caused connection abort
[19 14:57:55] * [10053] Software caused connection abort

error from a script(not on port 6667) and mirc loosing its connection to another irc network(also not on 6667)

XP seems to be plauged by mass connection aborts

first few errors are from a script and the last is from a different mirc window(of a newer version) on the same pc connected to a normal irc network
Hey.
I've got mIRC 6.31,
and router linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt v24 R4 on it.

I get many connection abort (10053) in DALnet,
EFnet seems stable, but DALnet disconnects every 10 minutes.

I tried now to use other port than 6667, I will try to see if it works.

Any other ideas?

Maybe I should NAT some ports in the router?
I have errors say things like DNS pool error and Software caused connection abortion

i cannot even get on IRC.

i used to be able to get on IRC and everything was normal.

all of a sudden i started getting this error and it has progressed to a point that i cannot even on online on IRC anymore.
Posted By: BonM 10053 error, software caused connection abort - 18/11/07 12:59 AM
I am on mirc 6.31 on windows vista. I also have a router hooked to the pc that runs mirc. I keep getting this issue like 5 or 6 times a day. It is not when I use dcc it's usually when I idle. If this question was already asked I am sorry for repeating it. I couldn't
find the answer in all the millions of posts. Does anyone know how to fix this? Please get back to me ASAP. I can't take the disconnects anymore.

BonM
Can someone help me fix this issue? It's rather hard to play the idlerpg game with this always happening!!

BonM
First, DNS Pool isn't an error. It's just telling you that it's trying multiple servers that use the same IP/Host.

As far as the software caused error... if you read through this topic, you will find all known possible solutions. Yes, it's a huge topic, but it is more likely you'll find your answer by reading through it than by asking the same questions over and over and just making the topic that much longer. More than likely, by asking, you'll get a couple of possible solutions that won't help you, where if you look through the topic, you're more likely to find one that will work for you. Just a thought. smile

Reconnecting a few times a day isn't a big deal. It all depends on your connection.

And as far as not being able to connect, make sure you don't have a firewall or antivirus program that updated itself and decided to flag mIRC or IRC and being possibly dangerous and prevent it from connecting. Check your router for the same settings regarding IRC.
Okay, I have been getting this 10053 problem trying to connect to my server. I have done everything suggested, from turning my firewall completly off to see if that would work, tried every port from 6000-7005, got rid of msn and everything else suggested here and by friends of mine. I still get

"Connecting to irc.utonet.org (7000)
-
-
* Disconnected"

everytime I try and connect. Now, about a year ago I was able to use mIRC on this computer with this IP address but started out with this problem. At the time someone, somehow got me connected. I think we changed something in mIRC if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. Now does anyone have any suggestions for me or am I just screwed and should give up. Also as a side note, I have tried a javachat that connects with IRC and that did not work either, instead of any problem I just timed out. Thank you for any and all help.
I think having a script that periodly messages a channel every so often would fix this problem for me, because it always happens when i idle.
However i'm fairly new at mirc, how/where can get a script to periodly message a channel for me with a timer?
Originally Posted By: Jesus_On_Wheels
I think having a script that periodly messages a channel every so often would fix this problem for me, because it always happens when i idle.
However i'm fairly new at mirc, how/where can get a script to periodly message a channel for me with a timer?

frown Anyone?
Whilst I hate replying to this topic for obvious reasons, may I suggest you search the scripts section, and look for anti idle threads.
Good luck
I have used latest mIRC, Sysreset and Invision. All of them will give
"[10053] Software caused connection abort" -error when I try to download
something from any irc channel. When download speed rises to about 100k/s
or higher, soon internet will die. (I have 2MB adsl internet connection)
This internet die problem is only fixed when the computer reboots or motherboard's
"Atheros Ethernet Utility" is used and is run SRAM -test in Diagnostic.

What is it causing this "Software caused connection abort" -error?

I have changed composition of my computer many times, but same problem is still alive.
For example, firewall from ZA to Norton and back. ADSL-modem from TW-EA201 to TW-EA501.
Hardware: Asus M2N, Athlon 64 X2 4000 --> Asus M3A, Athlon 64 X2 5200.
Memory: Kingston 2x1GB DDR2 667.

I have also used this "http://www.lvllord.de" -patch. No help from this.

I have tested my internet connection with my friend's PC. This PC can download
from irc at 200 k/s speed without internet will get disconnected. So, ADSL-modem
or internet operator is not guilty for this connection problems.
My friend's PC is: ASuS M2N-E, Athlon64 single core, Kingston 2x1GB DDR2 667,
WinXP SP2.

I have fighted this problem for many months. I haven't been able to use full speed
of my network connection.
Will this error problem occur maybe from Windows XP, dual core or irc protocol ?
Any suggestions?
Ok I have tried many suggestions in this topic, but none of them have worked. Here's what I'm getting:

*Connecting to irc.rizon.net (7000)
-
Please wait while we process your connection.
-
-irc.pantsuland.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-irc.pantsuland.net- *** Checking Ident
-
-irc.pantsuland.net- *** Found your hostname
-
-
* Disconnected

I really don't know what it could be. This problem happened so suddenly, and now I can't get on at all. I have no firewall, only AVG antivirus, no MSN, not behind a router, not running any other programs, I fixed Winsock keys, I replaced TCPIP.sys with the modified one.....what more can I do???
what "modified" tcpip.sys? You should never modify any system files in windows-- that's problem #1.
It's the "http://www.lvllord.de" patch, which was suggested earlier in this topic. That patch modifies the TCPIP.sys file. I ran the patch, it did nothing, so I restored the original file. So essentially nothing changed, and it's still not working.
I have similar problems. When I download through mirc, my download speed will rapidly drop. Eventually, it will give me this 10053 error, software caused connection abort. And the next moment, my internet is being cut off till I reboot my com.
As stated in the #1 post about the different suggestions. I have done a series of test on the different suggestions.

disable winxp's firewall:
-I've disable it from the day I installed my windows. I still encounter the mirc error. It's not the cause of the error.

dont use port 6667 to connect to a network. Most networks have a range of ports, usually within 6660-6669,7000-7001 and you can specify a port with /server some.server.here:7000:
-I've tried different ports like 6697,etc. The port isn't the cause of the problem.

dont use "speed patches" that supposedly increase your download speed. (note some of them effect your registry, use speed patch as your search term)
-I've never used speed patch from day 1. It's DEFINITELY not the cause of the problem.

update your router drivers/firmware. (some have said they needed to use something other than the ones supplied by the manufacturer):
-My hardware are all updated. I even tested it with my laptop. My laptop can download without any problems. This is not a cause as well.

connect to the server's ip instead of domain (ie, /server 123.456.789.123 instead of /server some.domain.here):
-I tried it, it's still the same result. Not a cause either.

limit how many networks or other apps you are running:
-I'm running mirc only, and yet I still get that error. It's not a caused by other networks or apps.

some have the prob not while dcc sending, but when idle for long periods of time. try creating a channel and using a timer to make a post every so often.
-Definitely not a cause for mine. I never idle in mirc, always chatting,etc.

uninstall MSN IM:
-I thought this was the most ridiculous suggestion. MSN IM has not caused to this error. I tested my laptop with it, there's no error. Please remove this suggestion.

check for patches for everything from windows to the equipment you have.:
-My windows is updated to the max. As for this cause, I can't test it out. But I tested my mirc on another com using vista os. It works fine. I'm not sure if the cause is due to microsoft patch for windows xp. If it is, many will have this mirc error too.

Changing NIC card:
-I'm getting one new nic card. When I test this hardware. with my router/modem, I will tell you guys the result.

ISP??!"
Definitely not for me either. I tested my laptop with the same ISP, connection,etc. Not a cause for this error.

Sorry if I'm rude. But the fact is the suggestions doesn't work. Many others like me are stranded helplessly for months, for years. I done these tests to at least inform others of redundant solutions. I will post again when I do the NIC card test. Thanks

Originally Posted By: cardslash02
It's the "http://www.lvllord.de" patch, which was suggested earlier in this topic. That patch modifies the TCPIP.sys file. I ran the patch, it did nothing, so I restored the original file. So essentially nothing changed, and it's still not working.

Yep, it doesn't work for me either. However, I believe this tcp half connection may be the cause to the error. What this tcpip.sys file does is to open more half port connections. However, it doesn't open all like sp1. I putting this as the highest probability for the cause of this error.
You didn't sound rude to me.

However, it's understandable that you place your blame on the closest possible piece of software, but it's very important to realize that there's a very very very little chance that it's a problem with mIRC.

NONE of the suggestions are guaranteed to work as mentioned in the post itself and this is a rather complicated problem to diagnose because so many factors are involved. None of these factors, however, are mIRC. I've successfully solved 10053 by replacing my router in the past (turns out it was dying), so I personally claim that replacing routers/NIC cards are the most likely solution. Most people don't like hearing that, though.
Originally Posted By: argv0
You didn't sound rude to me.

However, it's understandable that you place your blame on the closest possible piece of software, but it's very important to realize that there's a very very very little chance that it's a problem with mIRC.

NONE of the suggestions are guaranteed to work as mentioned in the post itself and this is a rather complicated problem to diagnose because so many factors are involved. None of these factors, however, are mIRC. I've successfully solved 10053 by replacing my router in the past (turns out it was dying), so I personally claim that replacing routers/NIC cards are the most likely solution. Most people don't like hearing that, though.

I've changed my NIC card, and I can download with mirc like a charm. Peeps, this is the solution, change your NIC card or router. This error will be gone!
I use a laptop and I cannot connect because I get the "Unable to connect to server (Software caused connection abort)" and I was just reading some of the advice you gave on how to fix this..I think the problem is with my router but how do I update my router drivers/firmware?

Also, what is an NIC card?

I was able to connect to some servers, but not the one I need.
NIC card is the card that the ethernet cable connects to in your computer. Most laptops use wireless communication so you won't have a NIC card to worry about.

Updating your router drivers/firmware requires a download (if available) of updated drivers/firmware (and they can be two different downloads) for your router, and would be gotten from the manufacturer's website.
Wireless connections are prone to bad signal strength and interference-- this is usually the main cause of disconnections in the case of WLAN's even when you're close to the access point. In such a case, the disconnection usually ends up as a 10053 error because of the way the connection is dropped. You can easily rule out your router/wireless by connecting to the router via some wired connection (ethernet if you have it on the laptop). If it stops happening then you know it's the wireless and not the router. If it doesn't stop happening it can either be the NIC card in your laptop or the router. Trying a wired connection with multiple machines (with similar OS/hardware) can help to rule out your laptop's NIC card and narrow it to the router, if it is even a hardware issue.
Hello all...
I would like to tell is, that all your suggestion above from the page 1 to last page is useless(no solution at all)...
I try everything step-by-step and the problem still exist!!
I think this happen on the user who using winXp ..WHy i say SO!?
B'coz i try at other pc at my friend house using vista or other ... and the result is good, nothing happen.. But when i installed winXp and open MIRC ...HUH ,it keep disconnect in 2 or 3 minutes saying:: ***[10053] Software Cause Connection Abort

What is the problem actually? is this an IRC client problem or our LINE problem? But i dont think this is our line problem..
No one knows what the actual problem is.. if someone did then a specific solution would be posted and that solution would work for everyone. This problem isn't restricted to Windows XP, as I also get it on my Windows 98, Windows ME and Windows Vista machines.

The reason there are a lot of various possible solutions posted here, is because no one has found a specific solution that works, most likely due to the generality of the error message. There is nothing in the message to indicate which piece of software caused the connection to abort, and even if it did, different people might be having this problem due to the usage of different software.

If you and/or your friend have no problems when running Vista, but do have problems when running Windows XP, then the solution for you/your friend is simple... use Vista not XP.
I started getting the Disconnection errors as soon as I started using SSL. Does anyone have any solutions to this?

(08:38:18) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:38:18) * Disconnected
(08:38:23) * Connect retry #1 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
(08:38:44) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:38:44) * Disconnected
(08:38:49) * Connect retry #2 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
(08:43:26) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:43:26) * Disconnected
(08:43:31) * Connect retry #3 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
(08:43:52) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:43:52) * Disconnected
(08:43:57) * Connect retry #4 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
(08:48:09) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:48:09) * Disconnected
(08:48:14) * Connect retry #5 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
(08:48:35) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:48:35) * Disconnected
(08:48:40) * Connect retry #6 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
(08:49:01) * [10053] Software caused connection abort
(08:49:01) * Disconnected
(08:49:06) * Connect retry #7 209.250.XXX.XX (8899)
That is not an SSL connection-- if it were, the port number would be prefixed with a "+"

(15:19:03) * Connecting to irc.something.com (+6667)

The connection abort is likely being caused by an abrupt disconnection because youre not using SSL to connect to an SSL server.

Try /server yourserver.com +8899 or /server -e yourserver.com 8899
Originally Posted By: argv0
That is not an SSL connection-- if it were, the port number would be prefixed with a "+"

(15:19:03) * Connecting to irc.something.com (+6667)

The connection abort is likely being caused by an abrupt disconnection because youre not using SSL to connect to an SSL server.

Try /server yourserver.com +8899 or /server -e yourserver.com 8899

That was an example, I was infact connecting via SSL.
Show the actual error message then, because the "example" was wrong/misleading.

Basically if you arent even establishing a connection to the server it means you're either trying to connect to a NON-SSL server with SSL or vice versa-- neither one will work. Try another server or port, and verify that it accepts SSL connections.
to my knowledge, the issue is a conflict between Windows live messenger and Mirc. it happened to me recently n Mirc n Wlive had disconnected everything was still good connection wise.
All I done was change my MTU settings too 1400... at the moment its fine. if I come up with any other info ill post smile
I just installed mirc after years of not using it, I am getting this error every 10 minutes. my previous client Chatzilla has not disconnected in months.

So i would rule out computer / network issues.
Also my other persistent connections namely SSH have no issues, with connections lasting weeks on end.
I just installed mIRC again today after reformatting my PC and replacing my Modem/Router and I now get the 10053 error on one of the two IRC connnections I have running at the same time in the 1 client.

See if this helps you.
its not doing it so far. did before, but my ISP was doing some repairs to their gear (10min up/dowdtime while replacing gear) so that one was expected.
i have been on mirc for some time now and i have change over computers installed mirc all going well until i whent 2 d/load it starts 2 d/load then it slows up and stops
and i get 10053 software caused connection abort
i have read though the forums and try all the tings they they say 2 try changing ports firewalls router MTU all sorts i can send i can stay in chans as long as i dont d/load
when i do and it stops i got 2 restart the computer 2 get the net bk on i can d/load from torrents and it dont go off and my other computer stays on line
now i am just lost ov what 2 try next any1 got any idears please
This happened recently, my old XP desktop died and so I bought a new desktop along with a laptop both have Vista as the operating systems. This is when the problem started - I can't ever connect into the Rizon network and kept getting the disconnected and getting 10053 error. There are times after hours of continuous cycle of re-connecting to various servers, I would sometimes get on.

So I went through the all the possible fix:
- disable firewall
- disable virus protect
- don't have MSN
- only mIRC running
- reset TCP/IP
- changing default port
- logging onto SSL

But just today, I logged onto Irchighway network at the same time to Rizon network. I have stayed on Irchighway while I have been disconnected every 2sec.

I am at end and frustrated. Please help
Those are not all the possible fixes, in fact, those are are a very small subset. You should also look into hardware problems such as faulty router, faulty network cables, bad wireless signal, bad phone line (dsl?), broken NIC card. Your isp might be at fault, as might the IRC server you're connecting to. It might be temporary, it might be permanent.

There's a lot more to 10053 than just "software" errors. From my experience, most of the problems stem from hardware issues.
Originally Posted By: Jesus_On_Wheels

Sounds like the same way I get the error. All's working fine, downloads are progressing, I let it idle for awhile then as soon as I post a new message, the software causes a disconnect. Maybe a script that regularly does auto posts so the software's not idling would solve the problem? Don't see an anti-idle scrip in the script section unfortunately.
Try this.
A lot of times you'll notice "Software caused Connection Abort." when mIRC has been idle for a period of time. I have recently ran in to this more as I have been using wireless. I would assume a lot of the time it's just the packetloss between the wireless connection (PC <-> Router), causing the connection to abort.

I may be wrong, but i'd say it's more a slight connection issue. Where it drops for a moment, and resumes.

- prez@dal.net
I have been getting this problem a lot within the past 4 days, but until then, I have NEVER had a problem.

Every 10 minutes or so, I get the 10053 error, BUT, I can still surf the internet and download off of Usenet without a problem

I do not have a router, and the NIC I'm using is built onto the motherboard, so I can't really change that at all.

I've closed down every single possible program that can interrupt IRC (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Skype, AVG, Spybot), and STILL I get disconnected from IRC every few minutes.

I tried scanning for viruses - Nothing
I scanned for malware and spyware.
I've also used other IRC clients

Nothing seems to help.

Can someone help me? I'd rather avoid re-installing Windows (and everything else) as much as possible.
As you probably noticed, there is no one, or even set of solutions guaranteed to handle this problem. I've even had it happen on one server, but not another, when both servers were connected to the same network.

If you don't want to re-install Windows, then by all means, don't.

Even if you did there's no guarantee that it would make any difference.

Personally I would love to see that error message be more specific regarding what software actually caused the connection to close, as it obviously has some way of detecting that it was software that caused the connection to close, rather than hardware.
All it says is "* [10053] Software caused connection abort"

See if this helps.

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=194190&page=1#Post194190
Ive gotten this error as a result of sending too many requests to the server too quickly.
I'm having this same issue. I've read through this thread and tried everything I can, but nothing is working.

For me, I connect for about half a second before I'm disconnected. It's not like I'm in the middle of chatting, and boom I'm gone. I never get to the chatting part.

I have to assume my problem is my school. I just came back this past weekend, and mIRC isn't working. It's been working fine all summer, and even last semester at this same school.

And advice?

As you are at school, and therefore, probably, connecting using the schools network, IRC may be blocked by the school.

It is not uncommon for schools to regulate what can and can't be sent over their network, due to the fact that as a student you probably signed an agreement stating that the school's computer system is to be used for educational purposes only.

Most schools do not include IRC as educational.

Your next step should be to contact the IT department at your school, and ask them if they block IRC ports.

If they do, then you can ask them if there is a way for you to access IRC. Sometimes they allow connections to things like IRC if the connections are made outside of normal class hours.

It is against the policy of this forum to provide you with assistance in trying to get around your school's restrictions.

As noted in at least one other post (which I'm not going to try searching for), in-spite of the fact that the error message indicates that the problem is software based, most of the solutions that do end up working require the resetting or replacement of hardware.
I got 10053-disconnected from 3 (out of 7) connected servers at the very instant I unlocked my (XP Pro SP3) workstation after being locked over the night. Coincidence?

Originally Posted By: Gewisch
Coincidence?

Yes.
I had been using Mirc for years on a Model Dial up connection. When I upgraded my connection to Charter High speed I received the 10053 error every time I tried to connect.

I played around with my ports and some settings and I can connect to a server and the default channel. People can see that I'm on but I cannot type to them or join channels. I'm disconnected 30 seconds to 1m later due to error 10053.

Also, MSN worked before the ISP changed and now when I connect to it my whole net crashes and I need to reset my router.

Help =(
i had a hard time getting to this point, but i finally made it. had to download mirc and then do a few other things before i finally was able to talk to anyone. I'm so happy I can now talk to other students/graduates.
Posted By: almostgraduate not on a channel - 19/02/10 07:01 PM
now, i'm getting the message saying i'm not on channel?
I'm - while not at home - using my Nokia N95 as a means to connect to the internet, sadly, I am unable to connect to any IRC network with the exception of really small ones...
and even then, it seems picky... >_>

My phone's capable of 921kbps/115kbps...

ZoneAlarm...win7...32bit...

Don't know what else to add, just that I get that annoying error as well.

When ever I try connecting to the bigger networks, like my main one(irc.UTChat.com), I manage to get to the first MOTD line, get a long lag and then get the error.
Of course, I removed the MOTD via options, to no effect.

Is there a way to connect via my phone, with my laptop?
No other program shows this error, I can even use mIRC to manually connect to a network with sockets...but then I have to do everything manually smirk

I have a VB with Ubuntu in it, I can manage connections with XChat just fine, but I never liked XChat -_-
(Really...I'm a mIRC-er, I only use mIRC -_-)

Edit: Fixed by tweaking my MTU :>

ziv.
This problem, at least for me, is exclusive of Mirc..... i can connect and use normally other clients without any aborts whatsoever....
Posted By: NK2015 Firewall Problem - 25/08/10 10:56 PM
TL;DR Possible fix: Reset your Firewall, all the Rules and exceptions, and maybe deny certain Windows connections which you might otherwise be inclined to allow just to "let it do it's thing". Also, explicitly define a rule for mIRC to allow TCP & UDP traffic both ways. I'm not a security guru, but doing this could lower security for your mIRC client, as you are allowing EVERYTHING to pass in and out. /TLDR

Hey everyone, I was considering signing up JUST to query you folks about my problem; I was getting disconnected over a 10053 Error, almost exactly every 30 minutes.

This started happening out of nowhere, I hadn't changed any Drivers, not installed any new Applications, and even Windows Updates couldn't have played a part. I know this because I was running my Computer for 3 days straight, and only just started happening by the second-third day (And that's not a 72hour IRC Server connection, that's closing the client down occasionally).

So I was stumped, but I'm pretty sure I found a solution, at least for my circumstance, which might help others.

My Firewall (ESET Security Suite) was set to Automated mode, in other words, it was handling all the Internet Connections on it's own, declining/accepting incoming and outgoing data to the net.

On one of my searches, I read at least one person found a limit in the TCP/IP Connection limit per second was being exceeded (Introduced in Win XP SP2, I'm Win7 but thought what have I got to lose) which was causing there mIRC 10053 Error. One link led to another, and it ultimately led me to checking Netstat in the Command Prompt to view my current connections to the Internet, see if anything is out the ordinary.

One thing stood out: I had about 5-10 connections to a Microsoft server, exactly the same IP Address for all of them, all marked as established (This appears to be normal anyway). I realise this is potentially nothing to do with the aforemention "Connection limit" thing, as that's based on the number of connections formed over a tiny period of time, but thought I would clean this mess up.

I proceeded by taking control of my Firewall, setting it from Automated mode to Interactive Mode, so I could handle EVERY Application connection, even the Windows stuff lurking in the background. According to the official ESET article on reverting the Firewall Rules to default, you need to delete 3 files from within Safe Mode (Can't access two of them whilst under normal Windows Boot).

So I did that, deleted the three files, rebooted into normal Windows, denied some of the Windows Outgoing connections (Resolving IP's to Domain names in some instances and some quick research on top, not just randomly denying stuff), and explicitly defined a rule allowing all in/out connectivity for mIRC... and currently I've been connected 1 Hours 32 minutes without a hitch.

And that's the business I went through to solve my problem. Hope this helps someone...

Btw, if you struggle to find the hotkey for your BIOS to launch Safe Mode, you can also go:
Start Menu -> Run -> Enter "msconfig" -> Select "Boot" Tab -> Set "Safe Mode: Minimal boot".
Save that change, restart PC, delete the 3 files, enter MSConfig again to disable Safe Mode launch (I expected it to auto revert to normal, but it didn't), and restart back to normal Windows.

Afterthought: I'll report back if it haunts me again, and look back on this thread occasionally regardless...
I am running into this same error code as well and My computer is a Dell thats running Windows Vista. I tried the Windows 7 upgrade and when I did mIRC wouldn't run at all. is there a verion that is available that will run with Windows Vista or Windows 7 and not run into this problem.
Thanx,N C Man
I get this error when AutoConnecting to OFTC on Windows 7. If i manually type /server irc.oftc.net mIRC connects successfuly and stays connected. I am using v7.1
Okay!

I have been wrestling with this issue all day. Here's a couple things:

1) I just got a new router, a D-Link DIR-601, and I began getting 10053 errors exactly every 8 minutes.
2) I've been using mIRC since 2002 without every seeing this error once! laugh
3) It is OS-independent; I've duplicated the error on XP and Win7. It is also server-independent. I've used a dozen different IRC servers to prove this.
4) This error only affects mIRC. I have used XChat and a couple browser-based IRC clients; none are affected. No other programs I am running are affected. Solid connections for games, music streaming, video, you name it. ONLY mIRC is affected.
5) I have tried UPnP on and off, changing mIRC ports, randomizing them, disabling firewalls and antivirus. Nothing works. This is, in my opinion, definitely a conflict with my new D-Link router.

So... that said... I'm gonna keep plugging away at it until I figure it out. If and when I do, I'll post here.
If it happens at exact intervals (8 minutes), then your best bet is to try and find out what is happening every 8 minutes. Your router shouldn't be doing anything itself, but maybe it has some feature that does something on a timer. Or, you might have some program or some option in Windows that is occurring every 8 minutes and is conflicting with that router somehow.

If you haven't already, try setting up the router using the instructions on http://www.portforward.com/ . Although you shouldn't have to set anything up for mIRC in order to chat (only for sending files or using DCC Chat), it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you do figure out what is causing the problem, please post it here to give others more things to try if they have this error.
I also should've mentioned I've tried port forwarding; I even added my PC to the DMZ (complete firewall bypass) list, and that didn't help either.

I worked on it for a few more hours after my post, and eventually got fed up and just switched to the xChat WDK. I am not one to abandon a challenge, though, so I will continue to brainstorm it. It makes me sad to leave mIRC... I've been a registered user for almost a decade!! So, I'll be back. I might even send my new router back and get a different one. JUST FOR THIS REASON!!! laugh
While changing your router might resolve the problem, there is no guarantee of that.
I would like to suggest that, if you do get a replacement router (sounds like the one you have should still be under warranty), don't tell them that it's causing a 10053 error, as most people would just look at you and say "What's that?".

Instead, tell them that the router is breaking your internet connection on a regular (you can even tell them that it's every 8 minutes) basis. If you are dealing with a non-tech, which most of the returns people are, they'll understand that better.
I get this 10053-error like every 10-15 minutes when I use the latest firmware for my router.

The router is Netgear WNDR3700.

The firmware is 1.0.6.98

With the previous firmware (1.0.4.68) everything is fine.

I contacted netgear-support about it.
Question/Problem: WSAECONNABORTED (10053) Software caused connection abort.

Answer/Solution: A connection abort was caused internal to your host machine. The software caused a connection abort because there is no space on the socket's queue and the socket cannot receive further connections.

WinSock description: The error can occur when the local network system aborts a connection. This would occur if WinSock aborts an established connection after data retransmission fails (receiver never acknowledges data sent on a datastream socket).

TCP/IP scenario: A connection will timeout if the local system doesn't receive an (ACK)nowledgement for data sent. It would also timeout if a (FIN)ish TCP packet is not ACK'd (and even if the FIN is ACK'd, it will eventually timeout if a FIN is not returned).

-------

The router's firmware has a bug causing it to send a proper response when it's ACK'd. I don't know why'd you'd ever think it would have to with port forwarding. Port Forwarding is necessary only when trying to listen for a remote connection on a host that is BEHIND the NAT. You never need it when establishing a connection.

I'd first turn UPnP support on the router too OFF. It does not matter if it's turned on or not in mIRC. But it should be disabled on the router. I won't go into detail but UPnP is typically the most common reason for connection issues.
Originally Posted By: bwuser
I get this 10053-error like every 10-15 minutes when I use the latest firmware for my router.

The router is Netgear WNDR3700.

The firmware is 1.0.6.98

With the previous firmware (1.0.4.68) everything is fine.

I contacted netgear-support about it.

I have the exact same problem. Did the upgrade a few hours ago and my mIRC has gone all bonkers. No other software has been affected by this as far as i can tell.

Edit: After reverting back to the older firmware my mIRC works normally.
In that case, the firmware is definitely the cause. It may have some form of bug or problem that only affects software that is sensitive to intermittent timeouts, such as mIRC. Other software may allow longer before being affected. I'm not sure if that is something mIRC can adjust. It might be worthwhile for anyone using that router to let the developers know about the problem in their latest firmware so that it can be fixed in the next release.
After years using mIRC with no problems, I began getting this 10053 constantly. It happened with version 6.x or 7.x as soon as I got a D-Link DIR-601 router.

Modifying the following two settings solved the issue. Hope this helps someone.

Router setup page > Advanced > Firewall Settings > NAT Endpoint Filtering. Set both TCP and UDP to "Endpoint Independent".

From the D-Link help:

Endpoint Independent
Once a LAN-side application has created a connection through a specific port, the NAT will forward any incoming connection requests with the same port to the LAN-side application regardless of their origin. This is the least restrictive option, giving the best connectivity and allowing some applications (P2P applications in particular) to behave almost as if they are directly connected to the Internet.

Weird, I have the same router and I haven't changed that setting from factory default-- and haven't had any 10053 issues since I got it. Perhaps this is just the product of other setting / envrionment differences in our setups.
I suspect the specific IRC network makes a difference (and maybe even the specific server, who knows). In my case, I use a relatively obscure network. Variations in how they implement DNS and/or the IRCd software may very well be the difference in what the router likes and doesn't like.
Can someone help me stay connected? I've looked through forums and messed with my mIRC and my router and I still am bouncing every few minutes. I've had a stable connection to mIRC until our latest router, a D-Link 601. My husband's computer seems fine. I am running two clients to run a bot for our channel and the second client stays connected just fine, but the one I usually chat with loses connection every few minutes if I am not actively chatting. Any ideas? I've read through a lot of this thread and am more confused than helped. The bot runs on version 6.14, I upgraded (not sure what from, sorry) to 7.17. My husband is using 7.14.

Any clue where to look? Thanks!

~Carol
mIRC's version is unlikely to be the cause. Given that you're on one network and different machines seem to be having problems, my inclinations are:

- Are you using a wireless connection on your machine? If so, you might be in a dead zone or have weak reception, or there might be interference from other wireless products (mouse? keyboard? near another machine?)

- Your hardware in your machine might be dying. Specifically, your NIC (network interface card) might be dying. This is a fairly common cause. I've replaced NICs before due to unstable connections, so it can certainly happen.

For fun, you can have your husband upgrade to 7.17 and see if he starts disconnected. My educated guess is he won't. This will rule out 7.17 as the issue on your machine.
Originally Posted By: Carola
I am running two clients to run a bot for our channel and the second client stays connected just fine, but the one I usually chat with loses connection every few minutes if I am not actively chatting. Any ideas?

To clarify, you have a bot client (mirc 6.14) running on your machine which is stays connected no problem. In addition, on the same machine, you have your normal chat client (mirc 7.17) which is constantly disconnected. Is this correct? If so then you can rule out the idea that your hardware may be dying as another user suggested. It's not possible for a NIC to decide it's going to only show signs of failure with certain versions of mirc.

Coincidentally, I experienced a very similar problem. After updating mirc, I began experiencing constant disconnects as well. I wasn't able to narrow down the exact cause of the problem but didn't actually spend much time investigating beyond confirming there's no hardware problem. The following is what I've experienced.

My OS is Windows 7 64bit.
When using a shell provided bnc, I stay connected no problem using mirc 7.17.
When I connect to servers directly using mirc 7.17, I'm constantly disconnected.
When I connect to servers directly using mirc 6.21 (the previous version I used), I stay connected no problem.

No other network traffic shows any signs what-so-ever of problems. The problems are in fact isolated to mirc, and further to certain versions. There is a distinct difference between mirc 7.17 and 6.21 on my system. There could be some sort of race condition coming into play, or possibly a lack of/miscommunication between mirc and certain server software/versions. Without rolling your sleeves up, it's hard to know with any certainty. I don't know what kind of debugging mirc has but you can always do a bisect to find out where the stable mirc versions stop and the unstable ones start for you. Then look at what's changed between the two.
It sounds like the server is disconnecting you due to inactivity.

Different versions of mIRC generate different amounts of traffic either by design or depending on your settings. For example, the latest version of mIRC sends ping checks only every five minutes. This could very well be too long for some servers. Some servers might allow five minutes of inactivity before disconnecting you, others might allow only two minutes. That's probably why some users never see this issue, while other users see it all the time - it depends on the server.

If you enable the "Check connection time out" option in the mIRC Options->Connect->Options dialog does that help? If it does not, other users find that they can resolve the issue by using a small script that sends a ping to the server every thirty seconds or so.

In the next version of mIRC, I will be increasing the "Check connection time out" rate to once every minute (it is only sent if there has been no client/server activity in that time).
10053 and 10054 are the most useless server error codes, telling you nothing. They are listed as miscellaneous errors, which means it could be anything and the server can't tell what. From your description, it could vary widely from a router problem to your ISP to the server rejecting you for some reason. If it's happening on ALL servers, and I don't mean selecting "Random," then it's probably not a server problem. If it's just happening on only one server, try another server on that network and notify the admin of the problem server -- /admin servername
Thank you for the responses! For some reason, shortly after I sent my original question my connection problems went way down. I'm wondering if the last time I connected it was to a different server that isn't as fussy. I do find that when I am chatting, I have no problems.

Khaled:

First, thanks for mIRC, I've used and enjoyed it for years to keep in touch with my family and close friends.

Quote:
If you enable the "Check connection time out" option in the mIRC Options->Connect->Options dialog does that help? If it does not, other users find that they can resolve the issue by using a small script that sends a ping to the server every thirty seconds or so.

It was already checked on. Where can I find a small script to do that? Or, should I move back to an earlier version that sends the ping more often? I'd like to be sure to prevent this and to be able to help a friend with a similar problem and less ambition to get it fixed. smile

Handle_With_Care:

Thanks for the response, I'll look into trying different servers on the network I use all the time. I can get a list of available servers and try them one at a time too.

See if this helps.

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=194190&page=1#Post194190

Originally Posted By: Khaled

In the next version of mIRC, I will be increasing the "Check connection time out" rate to once every minute (it is only sent if there has been no client/server activity in that time).

Since this seems to vary from server to server, perhaps the frequency could be made to be user adjustable. The user could choose from 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 minutes.

~ Edit ~
Then again, 60 seconds would actually be good since it will only check if there is no outgoing traffic.
I'm getting this error when trying to connect to irc.icq.com. I think it's something with my router (but it's the second router I've tried with the same issue) as I've tried two different PCs hooked to those router. The one I'm using now is a Netgear 3700 (not sure of the full model number, but it's a common high end home router). When I disconnect from the router it seems to connect. Is there a setting in either the router or mIRC that would fix this? The disconnect is within 10-15 seconds.

Also, another issue is that, using the menu to join a channel is disconnects me....and....if I type /j #channel the window doesn't show up, but I know I'm joining because if I go to the webbased chat at ICQ, I can see my nick joining.

I'm very frustrated at this point.
I should add, the two PCs I've tried connecting with, one is wireless G, and one is ethernet wired.
I've recently run into this problem, and it started when I ran Windows update. After I restarted my computer I kept getting this problem. At first I couldn't connect to any servers, it kept telling me I was timing out (I had other programs connected to the internet open and working fine, so I assume my router and ISP were ok at that time). Eventually, I would try to connect to any server and mIRC would freeze for about 2 minutes then finally connect to a server. At that point I thought it was okay, but now I get disconnected frequently and receive the 10053 error everytime. I also installed a program that updates my drivers and cleans my temp files, called PC Health Advisor at the same time I ran Windows Update and restarted my computer. Could either of those cause the problems I'm experiencing, or is it something else? Thanks in advance for the help.
Hi there.

So, I seem to have a problem with mIRC.
After using it for almost 9 years, and having a few troubles along the way, I've run into one that I can't really find a reason or solution to.

The problem being that I'm not able to connect to any IRC servers except the one I mainly use (PTnet, a Portuguese IRC network) and Undernet (which is the only server I seem to be able to stay connected to besides the first I mentioned).

I've tried several other servers and the exact same thing happens in everyone of them, which is, I get to connect but than I only have time to perform a /whois command on myself (for example) and after a couple of seconds I get disconnected with the message that gives the title to this thread.

I'm using mIRC 6.21 (which I know is an old version, before someone points it out, but has been working fine) on Windows 7 and I didn't have any problems connecting to other networks until I installed the latest Service Pack with Windows Updates, a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure that's the cause to the problem but I don't really find any other logic explanation since I haven't done any other changes (e.g. istalling or uninstalling other software) to the OS.

Anyways, I hope I gave enough information and that someone can give me a hand with this please.

Thanks laugh
Service Packs or other Windows updates make changes to a variety of things, including networking. It's possible that some change there is your problem, especially because it was working fine before. Now, you already know your version of mIRC is old. Before anything else, please try the latest version without any scripts just to see if it works. That will give you a good idea of what the next step should be. You can install it to a separate folder and put a blank mirc.ini file into that folder to avoid changing your other version's settings. If a new version works, then your issue was probably resolved in one of the versions since the one you're using and updating may be the only option. If the new version doesn't fix the problem, then we can look at other things.
Ok I have used mIRC for years, no problems, then I download 7.19 and kaput, I cannot connect. I get two error messages seemingly at random.
One is Symantec Endpoint Protection [SID.2045] IRC NICK command detected

so I assume I am connecting and then something happens

and also Send error [10053] software caused connection abort, but I could not find help which quite seemed to match this problem. I cannot get rid of Norton because this is a laptop supplied by work and Norton is part of the package.

can anyone help. severe withdrawals happening.
The error is coming from Symantec and it isn't unexpected that you'd get the software caused connection abort error if your antivirus blocks the connection, which is apparently happening. Why this happens on 7.19 and not older versions, I'm not sure. Various changes to mIRC may have caused that, or it may be a coincidence and Symantec updated the settings and is now blocking IRC when it wasn't before. Your best option would be to ask your work to unblock IRC. If you work somewhere that allows you to install and use software that isn't work related on your work computer, then they may do so. If you work somewhere where that is not allowed, then you shouldn't be trying in the first place. smile
Wow.. it sure has gotten quiet in here! Hopefully, people are working out their connection issues, whatever they may be.

As for myself, I can't remember the last time I got a 10053. I stay reliably connected for hours on end.. they just don't occur anymore. I do, however, recall a time period in which they happened all too frequently. Only two things have really changed since then:

1) I upgraded to mIRC 7.22 from 7.19.

2) I brought up my network adapter in Windows XP device manager, clicked on properties/power management, and un-ticked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

I honestly don't know which action cured the problem, but I sure do enjoy the result!

Best regards.
Shouldn't the duration between pings be setable by the user?
No, because if you need to reset it, you can easily disable the ping check in mIRC and script your own with a very simple /timer command ON CONNECT.

Which is also a "yes, it should be user settable, and it already is".
I noticed that I get a lot of 10053 errors when uTorrent is running, even if it isn't using much bandwidth. I don't think it has much to do with bandwidth usage because I'm rarely running xdcc downloads and torrents simultaneously. Is this a problem that can be fixed through program options (e.g. is it possible that they're using the same ports?), or is this just the way IRC connections are?
You can try change server/port, you can also try connect direct to servers IP instead of the usage of the irc.server.host .
Originally Posted By: mindKILLER
I noticed that I get a lot of 10053 errors when uTorrent is running, even if it isn't using much bandwidth. I don't think it has much to do with bandwidth usage because I'm rarely running xdcc downloads and torrents simultaneously. Is this a problem that can be fixed through program options (e.g. is it possible that they're using the same ports?), or is this just the way IRC connections are?

My observations of running uTorrent/mIRC at the same time.. bandwidth is not a factor. Its the number of open connections. Under default settings, uTorrent likes to have a global limit of 200 connections, with each torrent having a maximum of 50 connections each. So, if you are downloading four torrents at once, you can have a maximum of 200 connections alone from uTorrent.

These kind of settings like to make my modem/router combo (F@ST1704) crash/reset/get a new IP/IRC connects close by a 10053 error, if I am downloading content, as my peace of hardware has a low RAM, and provided by the ISP.

Try lowering the number. (Remember, this can cause torrents to download at a slower speed). I applied these and it works.
uTorrent -> Options -> Preference -> Bandwidth.

My settings:
Global max number of connection: 50
Mac number of connections per torrent: 15

Originally Posted By: sparta
You can try change server/port, you can also try connect direct to servers IP instead of the usage of the irc.server.host .

That most likely won't do anything.. Most likely the modem freaking out over the large amount of connections caused by uTorrent.
I've been experiencing the 10053 error for quite some time and I've googled till I'm blue in the face. I'm primarily using my HP laptop with Windows 7. It seems I would get this error after having been idle and as soon as I would use my wireless mouse and clicked the screen, my mirc would disconnect, almost every time. Sometimes my JMeeting would be unaffected while at other times it too would disconnect. I ran across a suggestion to uncheck the box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in my Wi-Fi router's Power Management. I gave it a try and so far I haven't gotten the error again. Time will tell if this was my fix.
This is a continuation of my last posting. I got the error again, the second I used mycursor but I also noticed, I was in hibernation mode. So I clicked the start button, typed in "hibernation", clicked change when computer sleeps. Since I always have laptop plugged in, I only changed that option to "never", saved changes and exited. My feeling is the problem was the hibernation since it immediately disconnected. I'm hoping anyways. Ill keep you posted.
I had the problem of my torrent locking my windows as soon as it connected. and running a guide test came up with a (10053) port error. this is what I did to cure my problem.
1. control panel
2. network and sharing
3. click on your connection
4. under activity click properties
5. click on internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
6. put a dot in--use the following DNS server addresses
7. then enter these numbers
8. preferred DNS server: 208 67 222 222
alternate DNS server: 208 67 220 220
9. then click ok and restart computer and your torrent software. It worked for me. the only other option is to reformat your pc. hope this helps
Getting this same error on multiple nets and servers. Tried different ports 6666-7001. Am using win10 and Hughes net modem. Any suggestions???
I've been a user ever since Khaled created mIRC. I've had no trouble all those years, but soon after installing 7.45 I started getting the dreaded 10053 disconnects. A LOT. The OS is Win10 (Microsoft FORCED upgrade).

I've tried...
Reverting to 7.32
Running RepairReimage
Changing servers - tried 'em all on ircnet
Setting up a continuous ping to the server
Setting mIRC options as recommended in this thread
Setting autotuning to disabled
Extending TCP timeout on my router (AT&T standard issue)

Nothing works. Any new info on this?
ADD: I've now tried...

* Using that 2-line script starting "on *:START:.timerAnti-10053..."
* A clean de-install/re-install of 7.45
* Installing a brand new router.
Now the good news: I resolved it.

For years I've been running a janitorial programme called System Mechanic. It's been good to me at times, in fact. Well, Iolo Technologies did a recent upgrade in which they added what they called "Active Care." Every hour the prog would go through a task list that included "Optimize internet settings." That's what was causing my momentary drop-outs. Applications like e-mail and web browsing wouldn't notice them but IRC, of course, did.
i am getting this also tried all the above does anything work ? as long as i am typing i stay connected
© mIRC Discussion Forums