mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#35758 11/07/03 07:38 PM
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
This thread is a petition to hide that little number that appears under our names; the Post Count.

It's increasingly apparent that certain people here either post here for the sole purpose of increasing that number, while other certain people focus all their time scrutinizing other people's posts with said accusation.

Solution: Make a user's Post Count invisible everywhere except their User Profile.

This includes under their name in Posts, and in the User List. One would instead be able to sort users by "Title" (such as stranger, enthusiast, etc). I know that UBB is fully capable of this suggestion, and it would require relatively little of Tjerk's time to implement.

Please give your Yeah or Nay or Abstain. Reason's are welcome.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It seems more people are concerned about people being concerned with post counts than there are people actually concerned about post counts. I don't see why it is a big deal, I couldn't care less what my post count is or what my "rank" is. I post because I have something to say, not because I want to increase a number.

In anycase, I think hiding the post count would be stupid, it won't solve anything, pointless posts will still exist.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i post when i want to say something not to increase my count, but i get flamed for "wanting a higher post count", so i agree with racoon.

new username: tidy_trax
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
So just ignore it when people say that. If it's not true, why does it bother you?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
the same reason that you misreading my post, and thinking that i called you a pervert bothered you.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well there is a difference between personal insults and someone saying "you want a high post count." If people say it to you just say "Yup, you're right, and by replying to you I've raised my post count again!"

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
it is a personal insult to me because they are implying im so pathetic to care about a number displaying how many posts ive made.

Last edited by pheonix; 11/07/03 08:06 PM.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Gee all this bickering over something silly...

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
true though.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I say no. One alternative could be to change the number to the titles like it was on the old forum. Otherwise just get over it or ignore it. Specific to your cause, you could look at yourself and that stupid picture of some git wearing panties in another post you made elsewhere here. :tongue:

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I do and do not agree with this whole concept of a post count. Yes its just a number, and afteral what is it there for? I mean other than the fact of saying "i've posted XXX number of time to this forum", there's not real purpose. The fact the forum itself has "ranks" is also suggesting that the more the posts, the more helpful you are. I do believe the post counts are pointless, and somethng users may strive for, but with or wihtout a visible postcount people are still going to "go for the goal" to increase a number. It being removed infact would just makeusers become less subtle and say "look at my profile, i have XXX posts" (there in itself create yet another useless post.

I don't know, just an opinion. Remove it or not, people are still going to strive for it. Why not save an admin the trouble of editing, and just ignore the user for yourself. Afterall, you'd have to do it anyways.

cool

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It has purpose to me. When I see someone who has posted ~500 posts and asks something that is generally a "/help <something>" answer, I'm more inclined to help them more thoroughly figuring this person is familiar with board policy and therefore knows he/she should have read /help first and most likely did but didn't understand something. However if the person has ~1 post, I'm going to assume he/she didn't take the time to try and find an answer in the help file. Same goes for things like "use the search feature" if the guy has ~1 post I'll say "use the search feature" if the guy has ~500 I'm going to assume the person did use the search feature and didn't find what he/she was looking for.

You might not think thats a good reason but don't make like no one else here does that, because I'm sure many people do.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I suppose every rule has an exception, but I can relate with that. Someone with a few more posts than another use may have "Earned" the right to bypass the laymens responce and deserve a respectable answer, though there are users who have a post count consisty of nonesence and gibberish.

I personally use how well/poor a user describes thier problem and marks what steps they may or may not have already taken to answer their own problem. Such as a user with one post count comes to the board...

[Beginner; Unexperience]

How do i make mirc say something when a user type !help?

[More advanced; Still 1 post count]

I have looked in the help file, and found the on text event. I tried looking through the examples and found no help. I don't see to get what the <insert something here that pertains the the topic>. I am trying to make the <goes into a breif explination of what they would like to achieve>. Can anyong point me in the right direction to look or perhaps know any tutorials i can learn from?

The bold being the keywords. This tells me the user doesn't want it fed to them on a silver platter, but is looking to learn from the experience, and has taken the time tosearch themselves.

Again, all in the way you look at things. Everying is relative.

-KingTomato
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Yeah I agree, if seeing a small number next to someone's nick predisposes you to being offhand with them, then that is all the more reason to hide this feature. The amount a person posts means nothing. A small post count could mean the person always finds his help in the help file first.

Also the post count isn't detailed enough to assist those kind of judgements, You can't tell if a person has made a thousand feature suggestions, and only 1 helpful reply to someone, for example.

Khaled for instance, has a very low post count. Can something negative about him be inferred from that also?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sorry, I don't agree with your classing methodology of board users. Each and everyone here deserves the right to the same answer you obviously reserve for the regulars. The postcount text is barely readable considering the font size used and is of no relevance to the quality applied to answers. The board shouldn't be used as an elite club for those that come here often.

In any case, the users here with the highest post counts such as myself, you and Parabrat are more inclined to be giving answers instead of asking questions anyway.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Very good point.

I think perhaps a user's Rating should appear under their name instead. This feature does exist as part of a user's profile, and can be added below their names when they post. If a user posts inteligently, give them a higher rating... if you don't care for them, give them a lower rating.

I just believe a person ought to be able to adjust the Rating they give freely whenever they choose. Currently when you Rate someone, that's it, no changing it. People change, and so do others' opinions about them. If you see your rating suddenly drop, you can change the way you post and watch it rise again.

- Raccoon
(Click Here and Rate Me! (just kidding))

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I too am inclined to believe a rating (though it is a median of a voted number), is much better for a "judges of character" then the post count. If you see a user with all 5 starts, one could assume either the user is very helpful, and accutate in the advise they gave, or bribes all the users to vote for them >:P..

grin
EDIT:

In addition..

"... or posts a "rate me" link in their post"

j/k raccoon

-KingTomato
J
Babel fish
Babel fish
J
I'm going to have to agree with you here. Although I suppose this feature would be abused at a point, I think a user rating appearing under his or her name would be a better solution.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Yea, I suppose abuse is possible... especially as the boards have nearly 20,000 users, and most of them have never even posted. It's conceivably possible someone could create 100 new users and boost their own rating with their votes.

I propose perhaps only users with 10 posts or more, and registered 7 days ago, may vote? At least it would make it considerably more difficult to do, and easier to catch. I suppose it would prevent one-time visitors from rating a user who helped them, but ya can't please everyone.

- Raccoon

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I propose perhaps only users with 10 posts or more, and registered 7 days ago, may vote?

and may post hyperlinks (blocking spam)

Hey, you might as well ammend the file with another option why u there, right? >:D

-KingTomato
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard