Print Thread
#33122 30/06/03 04:18 AM
M
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
Hi,
We know IRC has nothing really to do with the miriad channels from all over. We were just wondring if there is such a forum for filing complaints about abuse.

We've been on IRC for several years now and only now, so far, have we encountered such overbearing outright rude behavior in channel operators.

We stumbled onto a channel called #uplb a few months ago and were pleasantly surprised that it was of our alma mater university! We were even enraptured with the ongoing Trivia game on the channel.

To our dismay, being newcomers and outsiders of the group, we were immediately met with hostility by some who turned out to be the in-group with the OPs. Hostility towards the fact that being a newcomer and an "outsider" it appalled them that we almost immediately overran the competition in the trivia game. They ganged up on us so as not to allow us to gain the #1 spot by banning us, ignoring us and even multiple nicks using the trailing nick behind us so as to over take us. For a while they over took us, but being an avid trivia fan, we reached th finished line and at the #1 spot! This sent the op balistic and I was again ignored and the triv scores were reset!!! wiping me out!

Coupled with this was the abusive or simply rude language and actions of the ops. Like: Turning off the triv game while I was answering, namecalling, outright verbal harrasment, discrimination, and severe megalomaniacal behaviour. You know, when someone believes he is all powerful and people are afraid of them cause they want to stay in their all so wonderful channel...

well, at least there are other Trivia channels around. it's just not right. without the nicks in their cjannel...they are nothing really...right? Injustice!!! We want Justice!!!Where is the Love?

thanks,
MichikanO

#33123 30/06/03 04:21 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
We know IRC has nothing really to do with the miriad channels from all over. We were just wondring if there is such a forum for filing complaints about abuse.

No, it is their channel and they can do what they like unless it is against the network's rules or annoys one of the network's admins. If you think they are breaking the network's rules then go to the networks website and email the admin, but what you described isn't likely to be breaking the rules.

I suggest you find another channel to play trivia in.

#33124 30/06/03 04:27 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I totally agree it isn't right. Why don't you take this issue up with an IRCop on the server. That is probably what everyone else on here would suggest too. Join the servers default help channel and have a word with the IRCops.

You know, you could always stick them on ignore too and use a different channel for quizzing. I assume it was probably the founder who banned you. A founder can ban anyone. Some just go power mad because they have nothing better to do with their life. As for the name calling, discrimination and verbal harrasment, they are just lame. Goodluck with the IRCops buddy.

#33125 30/06/03 04:40 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately for you, the IRC world is more utopic than the real world. Each channel has their own rules where anything the ops say, goes... unless what goes on has a negative impact on the server. This is sort of how the world ought to be run, where each country has their rules and lives how they wish to live... unless they are causing a negative impact on the planet.

There is no USA of IRC to help you, sorry.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#33126 30/06/03 02:59 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
I totally agree it isn't right. Why don't you take this issue up with an IRCop on the server. That is probably what everyone else on here would suggest too. Join the servers default help channel and have a word with the IRCops.

Assuming he is on a "good" network, the ircops will take the opinion that channel issues are not to be dealt with by opers. If you don't like the way the ops of a channel act, then you don't go there.

#33127 30/06/03 03:23 PM
U
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
U
Have to agree with all of you. IRC is well known for being a "first come first served" type thing-whoever gets to a channel first and holds it or registers it becomes the owner. If you don't like how that owner works, you have 2 choices-deal with it, or register #channelname2 and try and be better than the first.

Its rare that staff on a network would get involved, unless they happen to own the channel. If the staff on the network are abusive, the only way you can show your displeasure is by not returning to said network.

Barring all I have said, if you really want this channel-you'll have to create it on another network where it is not in use. By doing so, you then become the controller in that channel and can dictate policy as you wish, even up to banning people on the other network whose policies you didn't like. That is really your only recourse, however.

U
irc.foreverchat.net Founder
#33128 23/08/03 11:26 AM
A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
Actually, I don't think you can really do anything. That's because U is the founder of ForeverChat server. There's two things you can do. 1.) Go to a new network with more polite and nice people, and start a new trivia channel. 2.) You can be a daredevil and register a new trivia channel on ForeverChat... If you think you can run a trivia channel better, just register a new one, and you can show that U person what's what!

Link Copied to Clipboard