mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
look..this seems to become a religious war like M$ vs UNIX. why the hell not (sorry my french) make the support for the graphical smilies and make'm disabled as default (as suggested many times). Then everybody should be happy. Personally I don't care if <nick1> and <nick2> etc. hate the emoticons. If you don't like'em - don't use'em.
In this thread I haven't seen ONE GOOD argument yet for not implementing the support for the emoticons. It seems like the reason for not implementing the support simply is, that some people just doesn't LIKE them! I don't buy that lame argument smile

---------------
"To error is human; to really f*ck up requires root."
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A) Adding support increases file size (not so much a worry)
B) implimenting support would make the window process slower, also make the render time increase dramatically, esp on pages with a lot of "smilies"
C) There are DLLs available. If it is that big an issue, USE THEM.

-KingTomato
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
if you want smileys, then script it your self, @windows as a chennel will give it a boost, becuase in @windows you can have pictures --- and only you can see it, then u can have on text and on input then you are covered, and it dont bother anyone smile

i personally like smiles, but i dont think that they belong in mIRC unless there is an option to turn them off :!:

TotalIRC the place to be

TuX.TotalIRC.net:6667

#TotalIRC
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
anyone ever seen the smiley face in AIM? it looks utterly retarded, lol.
Some smilies are cool but unless the standard ones are good it all goes to hell and you can't use an ascii smiley without it always being converted to a stupid-looking picture

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Leave simlies AWAY from mIRC. Script them if you want it so bad.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Indeed, mIRC is a text based chat program and having smilies would be hideous.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I don't see why it would be so bad if it's optional (Meaning that you can turn them off), as long as the default smiley set doesn't include smileys that would make no sense in plaintext, like *-D or something.

New username: hixxy
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I personally would hate to see it added even if it could be
disabled. IMO it would just turn it into a mickey mouse pos
like the IM's are. Colors and background images are about
as far as I would like to see it go. Background images
even are a bit much but at least it's just local. I say NAY
NAY NAY, please keep this crap away. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree, especially if it has:

1) The option to enable/disable it.
2) It is only seen as a smily on those clients which have it enabled. Meaning if you don't have smiley's enabled, you see their regular textual representation.

To be honest, I don't care about smileys, I rarely chat, but I don't understand why someone would mind someone else seeing smilies on their screen, if it doesn't affect them.

Like MSN, there you can disable it, well if you disable it, then the other person keeps seeing smileys and you don't, so what's the problem?

mIRC won't go slower if you have it disabled, so that argument is off the table...
Increased file size? I have a very small HD compared to today's standards (40 gb) but I think I have some room left for an mIRC .exe of 3 mb, if it would ever become so big.

It is so ironic:

Computers get faster and faster every year, yet people want to use less and less resources.
Hard drives' capacity gets bigger and bigger every year, yet people are worrying about an .exe of a few mb.

Yes yes, I'm aware not everybody has the newest computer, but even then, 5 years ago my HD was 10 gb, do you think I would have worried about a 3 mb exe file?

Hehe, I know this is an old thread, but hey, what the heck.

Greets

Gone.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
(Assuming smilies were added as an option): Since you can turn smilies off, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever except knowing that the client supports smileys.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
knowing it supports similies is enough for me to reconsider using mirc

irc is text based and should REMAIN text based as much as possible, similies is too much

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think you are confused about the concept IRC vs an IRC Client.

If mIRC supports translation of textual smilies to graphical ones, then this doesn't affect IRC in any way.

The text is already there, it's just mIRC that translates it locally on the client side to a graphical representation. Smilies are widely used when chatting on IRC, whether they are seen locally as an actualy smiley or not doesn't make any difference to the IRC server sending the smiley, or you who has disabled the option.

Let me give you a stupid example:

on ^*:TEXT:*:#: haltdef | echo 4 # $+(<,$nick,>) $1-

This will colour any incoming text on a channel to red. For the IRC server this does not make any difference, and for the other chatters it doesn't either, since this script is local, as in it only colours the text on the screen of the person who has the script installed. It doesn't send out colors to the server, and you don't see the colors either. Just the client, which is what we are talking about.

Last edited by FiberOPtics; 24/02/05 12:12 AM.

Gone.
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
It just opens the door for more lamer bs. Then the next thing
ya know, instead of a good, sturdy IRC app, it will be like
playin chutes and ladders or candyland. I say leave it for
the kiddie crap and leave mIRC alone.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Define lamer bs smirk

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Well let's see, little smiley faces on mIRC, there's a good start.
Oh and let's not forget MTS lol .. what a joke.

~ Edit ~
Hey I have an idea for a feature suggestion! Why not make
mIRC like a comic strip? We can have all kinds of stupid
characters and it looks like they're talking to each other.
Won't that be |33t?? To do this we would have to send all
kinds of stupid strings of characters and text that annoys
the hell out of all the people that are using a real IRC
app. Oh! and we can call it Comic Chat!! Oh won't that be
dandy. heh

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 24/02/05 12:10 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm always surprised that the people who are against smiley support on mIRC usually don't have any valid argument. So far you haven't mentioned 1 single valid argument.

"lamer bs" is hardly convincing, sorry.

I'm not even really for it, as I don't really care, but if it can make a lot of people happy, and it doesn't change anything to IRC, and I can disable it, so that I'm not confronted with it, then what on earth would I have against it?

Just tell us in a few descriptive decent arguments, how support for smileys, which you can disable so you're never confronted with it, is so bad for you? I'm really curious to read it.

Gone.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Again, you don't have to look at smiley faces because they would be optional.

What's wrong with MTS? It lets you create and release themes that don't conflict with other loaded scripts.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Quote:

on ^*:TEXT:#: haltdef | echo 4 # $+(<,$nick,>) $1-

won't work, your missing matchtext.

No, I am not "confused." The thought of mIRC supporting simlies is very very saddening. It will attract people whos only purpose of using mIRC because of its similies, annoying little kids thinking their leet using mirc because it has similies (enough of those wannabe's on irc already), etc. It opens the door to a whole new generation of idiots, which shouldn't be opened for them to experince IRC, let them stay on their fancy Instant Message clients and rot away there. Call me greedy / selfish / whatever, Similies and m/IRC do not mix and will never mix.

Last edited by LostServ; 24/02/05 12:10 AM.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You're stereotyping everybody that likes smilies as idiots? Great reason not to add smiley support!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So what if I missed the matchtext? It isn't intended to be of any use other than to get a point accross.

Your whole argument of smilies opening doors for kiddies etc etc. I have news for you: the kiddies are already there, smiley support or not.

And again, you are not seeing anything else than before if this feature is implemented, I simply can't understand this isn't getting through to a couple of people.

Meaning if you see in a channel the smiley : ),
after implementing smiley support, this is going to be the same smiley for you : )

How is this going to bother you more than before when it's the same thing? It's only the kiddies who have it enabled who are gonna see the actual pictures, so why on earth would that bother you?

Can you honestly tell me that you are afraid that once smiley support is added, the channels you reside in are going to be flooded with "kiddies" who use a lot smilies? That sure is a weird way of thinking.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard