Print Thread
#270913 24/10/22 11:35 AM
I
Iire Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
I
I'm unsure whether this can be considered a bug or is an intentional limitation, but variables whose names use the .bf suffix to enable big float calculability will fail to do so if the variable name contains another . anywhere else in the name:
Code
//var -s %a_b.bf = $sqrt( 2 ) , %a.b.bf = $sqrt( 2 )
Prints:
Code
* Set %a_b.bf to 1.41421356237309504880168872421
-
* Set %a.b.bf to 1.414214
-

Just in case this is an intentional limitation, I hope it can be changed so that it doesn't become a potential source of frustration for people attempting to quickly enable this feature in existing scripts whose variable names already use a "dot-delimited-parts" convention.

On a random side note, %.bf is apparently enough to enable big float calculability:
Code
//var -s %.bf = $sqrt( 2 )
Code
* Set %.bf to 1.41421356237309504880168872421
-
Not particularly relevant probably - I just thought it was kind of interesting. grin

(Tested on a clean installation of the beta version v7.71.1275.)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks this has been fixed in the next beta. Note that as % is a valid variable name all by itself, %.bf is a valid variable name as well.

I
Iire Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
I
Originally Posted by Khaled
% is a valid variable name all by itself
Interesting... This fact feels vaguely familiar to me somehow, as though I might've known that at one point in time, but I'm not sure I would've remembered or thought of it had you not mentioned it. 🤔

Was this purposely built in or simply a side effect of the way you implemented variables into the language? In any case, I'm noticing that variables named % seem to have a few unique quirks to them - namely, that:
  1. A script can have multiple independent local variables with that name:
    Code
    //var -s % 0123 , % 4567 , % 89AB , % CDEF | echo -ga $var( % , 0 )
    Code
    * Set % to 0123
    -
    * Set % to 4567
    -
    * Set % to 89AB
    -
    * Set % to CDEF
    -
  2. The = assignment operator cannot be used to assign values to nor create them:
    Code
    alias nullvar_test { 
      % = hello
    }
    Code
    /nullvar_test
    Code
    * /%: not connected to server (...)
    -
  3. The optional = of the /var command will be treated as part of the value rather than as part of the command's syntax; mathematical expressions will, of course, not be calculated in such cases:
    Code
    //var -s % 2 ^ 3 , % = 2 ^ 3
    Code
    * Set % to 8
    -
    * Set % to = 2 ^ 3
    -
  4. Retrieving values stored in them requires explicit use of $var( % , N ).value: (Presumably to avoid conflict with the modulus operator in certain contexts?)
    Code
    //var -s % hello | echo -ga % | echo -ga $var( % , 1 ).value
    Code
    * Set % to hello
    -
    %
    hello
  5. Commands like /inc, /dec, and /unset will only modify a global version:
    Code
    //var -s % 5 | dec -s % | set -s % 99 | inc -s % | unset -s % | echo -ga $var( % , 1 ).value
    Code
    * Set % to 5
    -
    * Dec % to -1
    -
    * Set % to 99
    -
    * Inc % to 100
    -
    * Unset %
    -

Whether or not any of these are bugs and warrant their own reports, I'm not sure... but, I figured it'd at least be worth mentioning them here so that anyone who happens upon this post and wants to try using null-named variables will be aware of their pitfalls and limitations.

(Tested on both v7.71 and beta v7.71.1275.)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hey lire, have a look at the reply in
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/266011/binvar-named

I only mentioned the part about % where you couldn't echo it. But the same kind of thing was happening where it formerly didn't work to use:

//bset -t & 1 abc | echo -a $bvar(&,1-)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Whether or not any of these are bugs and warrant their own reports, I'm not sure... but, I figured it'd at least be worth mentioning them here so that anyone who happens upon this post and wants to try using null-named variables will be aware of their pitfalls and limitations.
There are no plans to change any of these behaviours. There is far too much history and backward compatibility to consider here. The only reason % by itself was allowed to work in some contexts is either through complete chance or because some scripters requested it. I will not be making any other changes to support it in other contexts.

Link Copied to Clipboard