mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Continuation of the thread

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/269593/extra-options-for-certificates

2 things that affect how the user sees things, but aren't preventing things from working fine.

• Certificate state in Status Window Titlebar

In the Status Window titlebar, it's great that it now shows (local.pem), but there's no visual difference between using the configured global cert vs using neither the global or local .pem cert created by the user. If the user creates a serverlist entry where the 'use global cert' is unchecked, and the filename box is blank because there's no local cert defined, it reverts to the setting which allows using neither the global or local cert, as if there were no .pem certificates created at all.

If the global cert is global.pem and and local.pem was created to be used as a local cert, in the 3 scenarios, the titlebar text following the connection time:

Using local cert file:
    (local.pem)
    Use-global-cert box is checked:
    blank
    Use-global-cert box is unchecked but no local cert file being used either:
    blank

To avoid the matching displays, either it could show (global.pem) or just (using globalcert), or when not using a cert at all it could show something like (no cert)

• Serverlist dropdown appearance

When having several server windows open to different entries in the serverlist, the Alt+E serverlist shows the selected item for the dropdown as being whichever is the active serverlist entry for the connection from where you opened the serverlist.

That means when you have 'move to top on connect' checked, only 1 of the connections will be showing the top serverlist item in the dropdown window. And when there's a lot of servers in the list if the user hasn't pruned it down to only a small quantity of them, it can be hard to tell that you're not looking at the topmost-of-150 serverlist entries due to it being hard to see that it's showing you the 2nd-of-150 where it's hard to visually see that there's a very small scroll-up region for the dropdown list.

Other forum users probably have more experience than I do in dealing with dropdown lists having lots of items, so they may have a better solution.

Perhaps something like changing the "Server:" label to be something like "Nth Server:"

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To avoid the matching displays, either it could show (global.pem) or just (using globalcert), or when not using a cert at all it could show something like (no cert)
Ah yes, I remember mentioning this in a previous beta, ie. where the beta was showing the certificate setting in the titlebar all the time. I eventually changed it back to how previous versions of mIRC worked, ie. the certificate is not displayed in the titlebar, unless it is a local-defined certificate. As no one commented on it at the time, I decided to leave it that way, as I prefer it. Showing "no cert" all the time takes up titlebar space for no reason. Showing the global cert all the time, when a user knows they have set one, as they did in previous versions, also doesn't make too much sense. The choice seems to be between showing too much, and uncessary, information all the time, or necessary information some of the time. I generally go for less is more.

Link Copied to Clipboard