mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Carling Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
C
For as long as I can remeber I have been using a script to hide the status windows on the switchbar, the script also adds a right click context menu to 'toggle' the them back into display if i need them however due to the most recent update:

Update 07/05/2021 - mIRC v7.65

20.Changed /window -h to not hide Status Windows in treebar,
switchbar, and window menu, as these are root windows for all
other windows on that connection.

You can no longer apparntly hide these windows that 99.9% of the time I dont need or want to see on the switch bar, does anyone know of a work around to return my switchbar to a more presentable order please?

Code
on 1:CONNECT: {
  /window -h "Status Window"
  /unset %stoggle
}

menu status,channel,query,nicklist {
  .Whois:/whois $$1
  .Query:/query $$1
  -
  .Toggle:/toggle
}

alias -l toggle {
  var %i 1

if (%stoggle) {
    while (%i <= $scon(0)) {
      /scon %i window -h "Status Window"
      inc %i
    }
    /unset %stoggle
  }
  else {
    while (%i <= $scon(0)) {
      /scon %i window -w "Status Window"
      inc %i
    }
    /set %stoggle 1
  }
}

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The reason this was changed is that it was causing issues, which I only recently noticed, relating to how windows are processed because Status windows are root windows for all other windows on their connection.

If I add this back, to implement it correctly, if a status window is hidden, all other windows related to that status window in any way will be hidden as well. This includes channels, queries, etc.

That said, I'm curious - what is the use case for this? Why are you hiding the status window? It's an important part of the server connection and displays a wide range of messages.

C
Carling Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I done an image to demonstrate the use, essentially its to tidy the window and improve usability, i typicaly have mIRC in a fairly small box on my second monitor brining it up over typicaly youtube or netflix when I am required, as such the space on the ribbon bar accross the top is pressious.

[img]https://ibb.co/DwjFTpX[/img]

Last edited by Carling; 10/05/21 11:29 AM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
There is a difference between hidding a window (-h) and hiding the button in switch/treebar (-w).

If it's the switchbar you're concerned with, then you can keep removing the button for status window there with -w, the status window won't be hidden but that's not related to switchbar clearance.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
C
Carling Offline OP
OP Offline
C
/window -w2 "Status Window"

doesn't remove the button from the switchbar,

/window -w2 "#Room"

works but its the status window i want to remove from the status bar.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
/window -w2 is documented as 'show in the treebar' so it is not expected that it should remove the button from the switchbar.
Did you mean a different digit there? To remove the button from the switchbar you have to use /window -w0 "status window", but I just tried it and it didn't remove the button from my treebar in mIRC 7.64 so..
Not sure really but seems like you can't remove a status window's button from tree/switchbar indeed.

C
Carling Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Missery, might need to look into this tree view thing see how it looks, maybe can adjust the layout to work.. though I have used the same layout for over 10 years, I don't want to change lol. just so.. frustrating.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted by Khaled
That said, I'm curious - what is the use case for this? Why are you hiding the status window?

To generalize Carling's answer: to reduce clutter in the switchbar when you are on many networks with only one or two channels per network. I've done this before, and I'd like to be able to do this again in the future..

Originally Posted by Khaled
If I add this back, to implement it correctly, if a status window is hidden, all other windows related to that status window in any way will be hidden as well. This includes channels, queries, etc.

What is more correct about that? I'd say it worked just fine before..

Edit: I think you are actually considering the treebar here, where that is indeed fair. However, unlike the treebar, the switchbar's buttons are not hierarchical by nature. I think this is one of the rare cases where it might be preferable to apply a slightly different policy for the switchbar and the treebar. As in: for the former, any button could be hidden independently, whereas for the latter, only items that do not have children can be hidden (or are hidden along with their children).

Originally Posted by Wims
/window -w2 is documented as 'show in the treebar' so it is not expected that it should remove the button from the switchbar.

As a general statement this is incorrect, FWIW.

Last edited by Sat; 13/05/21 05:20 PM.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
C
Carling Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you Sat for converting my thoughts to intelligible information, that’s exactly what I was trying to say <3

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm one of those people who wrote his own auto-hide script for the switchbar, so that it only displays channels that have active conversations (unread text in the last 2 hours; read text in the last 20 minutes). I have to impress that this is such a game changer in how I use mIRC and I could never go back to a cluttered switchbar.

That said, I don't personally hide the status windows myself, but I can appreciate people who do because I used to be one of those people who connected to 8 or 12 networks at a time. It would be psychologically upsetting to have this suddenly taken away after all these years.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
If it also hide in switchbar when it shows in treebar then it would be the help file that is incorrect/misleading, it should be explicit about hiding from the other bar

C
Carling Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah.. I am on 5 servers and 6 channels, I rolled back my mIRC, couldn't take it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The issue here is that there is a single internal window list used by all other features, including the switchbar and treebar. Some features work based on the visbility of buttons, so if there is a disconnect between the switchbar and treebar, this leads to some odd behaviours. When I originally added /window, it was only meant to apply to @windows but I gradually extended it over time to work, for some switches, with other window types. The Treebar was added later. So these issues only manifested later on as more features were added.

As Sat pointed out, the Treebar uses folders that depend on root items holding other items. In this case, status windows are the root items for all other windows related to a status window.

The /window -h for status windows can only be enabled again if the treebar can be changed to handle it as well. I have been looking through the treebar code over the last few days to see if I can find a way to make it work without status windows as root items. There's a lot of intricate code here and many dependencies on status windows as root folders for other window types. I have made some changes to remove status window dependency but it's difficult to say how well it is working until it is beta-tested. This change will be in the next beta. It will enable /window -h for status windows again and will hide the status windows in both the switchbar and the treebar, so that they are synchronized. However, there is no guarantee this will be in the next version as it will depend on whether it works correctly in different contexts and with different combinations of window types. I'll be releasing a beta once it is ready for testing.

Link Copied to Clipboard