#267455 09/07/20 04:08 AM
D
drum Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Hello! Long time no post! wink

I have been using mIRC to connect to Twitch's IRC chatbot interface and have noticed that mIRC will truncate incoming messages that are longer than 1025 bytes -- which includes any IRCv3 message tags that are present. Twitch in some cases can send messages that are longer than this since they use message tags to store a lot of metadata.

I was looking over the IRCv3 message tags spec ( https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/message-tags ) and noticed that it says the following:

The size limit for message tags is 8191 bytes, including the leading '@' (0x40) and trailing space ' ' (0x20) characters. The size limit for the rest of the message remains unchanged at 512 bytes.

Is there a particular reason that incoming messages are being truncated at 1025 bytes? Could the limit be raised? I understand a supported message length greater than $maxlenl would probably be a bad idea, but could it perhaps be raised to something like 4096? Would that cause any issues?

Thanks!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue so far.

Can you provide an example that reproduces this issue?

Your example would need to be a step by step method that I can follow to cause a server to send mIRC a line longer than 1024 characters.

Alternatively, you can simulate incoming messages using /parseline, for example:

Code
test {
  var %text = A long line of text
  echo text len: $len(%text)
  parseline -itqp :nick!user@host PRIVMSG $me : $+ %text
}

D
drum Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue using /parseline either.

Here's how you can reproduce the issue on a fresh mIRC install:

Code
alias start {
  server -f irc.chat.twitch.tv +6697 blah -i $+(justinfan,$rand(0,9),$rand(0,9),$rand(0,9),$rand(0,9),$rand(0,9),$rand(0,9))
  server -fm irc.chat.twitch.tv +6697 oauth:zbfeqk3n6tsyw60q7ssd40i1f0531r -i mirctest
}

on *:CONNECT:{
  if ($me != mirctest) {
    debug @debug
    raw CAP REQ :twitch.tv/tags
    join #mirctest
  }
}

alias test { scon 2 msg #mirctest $str($+(<3,$chr(32)),130) }

alias test2 { scon 2 msg #mirctest $str($+(<3,$chr(32)),90) }

alias test3 { scon 2 msg #mirctest $str($+(<3,$chr(32)),40) }

• Type /start to connect.
  • Type /test to receive a message that truncates in the middle of the message tags (doesn't even get to the PRIVMSG command).
  • Type /test2 to receive a message that truncates in the middle of the message text.
  • Type /test3 to receive a normal message (no truncation).

Note that this script uses an oauth token to authenticate to a Twitch account named mirctest (created exclusively for this purpose) so that it can send messages. The first connection can only receive messages.

Last edited by drum; 10/07/20 02:55 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the test script. I have not tested it yet, however, is it possible that the server itself is not sending the full line?

If you type /debug on to enable debugging to a debug.log file, this will log incoming server lines, up to a maximum of $maxlenl length, which is currently 8192 characters.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
This is not the fault of mIRC; it is twitch chopping the message. You can produce the same results, drum using their websocket interface:

1. Open a new tab
2. hit f12
3. click the "network" tab
4. navigate to twitch.tv/mirctest
5. select the irc websocket in the network tab
6. send various sized messages and watch the return frames twitch sends back

I am SReject
My Stuff
D
drum Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I'm not seeing any chopped message on the browser side:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Notice that the highlighted message in blue is 1658 bytes in length. Here is the same message received by mIRC as viewed in a /debug window:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Notice in the /debug window, it chops after ",375-37" whereas this clearly keeps going in the browser version (seen at the bottom of the first image).

This message is the one generated by typing /test with the example script I gave.

Last edited by drum; 10/07/20 03:51 PM.
D
drum Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I have confirmed that the server is sending the full line both with Wireshark and with the method Froggie just mentioned.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the feedback and test script. I was able to reproduce the issue. This issue has been fixed for the next version.

D
drum Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Excellent, thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard