mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#265917 14/08/19 09:10 AM
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I just woke up, wanted to wake my laptop from sleep mode, but my ThinkPad has some kind of bug, where it sometimes cannot waken up and I have to hard reset it.

After a hard reset, Windows booted again, and when I started mIRC I saw a bright white mIRC windows with the pop-up again, like a fresh install.

I thought this shouldn't happen anymore?

Luckily I had some sort of backup, although it's from 2014, lol.

Nevertheless, maybe it would be a great feature to add a backup system, which idk once a week backups current settings. Would be nice.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Search your harddrive for the file mirc.ini

The program "Everything" can help. https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

If you find two or more mirc.ini files, then good, that likely means the older file contains all of your settings.

Make backup copies, then try to transpose the good mirc.ini file on top of the brand new mirc.ini file.
Or, figure out why mIRC is not finding the correct mirc.ini at its correct location. I have a whole article written about this, here.

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads....ngs-ini-portable-mode-appdata#Post264751

mIRC does create backups every time you do a new install on top of an old install. The feature is turned on by default in the installer.
You might find a good recent copy of your mirc.ini (and other .ini files, ie, servers.ini) located there.

Make sure that mIRC is not running when you move files around on your harddrive.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
C
This just happened to me, and ALL my mirc.inis were overwritten, including the backups! Very annoying, especially since I couldn't remember my SASL password for Freenode. >.<

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC does not access your backup files in any way after they have been created by the installer. If they have indeed been deleted, this means that another application has deleted your ini files, most likely anti-virus software. This is actually quite a common issue and we have seen anti-virus software behave this way in the past, where valid files are misidentified as a virus/trojan and deleted. The only real solution to file loss issues like this is to make regular backups.

Link Copied to Clipboard