Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
If I disconnect using the toolbar's icon, and reconnect with it, mIRC remembers the /server -l nickserv setting, but if a different kind of disconnection occurs (well at least when you run out of internet [10053] Software caused connection abort), mIRC does not remember the setting.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have not had a chance to look at the code yet but my guess is that if you use the button to disconnect and connect again, you will connect to the same server. But if you are disconnected, mIRC will cycle through the servers in the servers list, so it will use the information in the next server definition.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
I'm not using the server list.

I'm connecting to freenode via "server -m irc.freenode.net -i Ouims -jn #chans -l sasl pass" with sasl plain which connects to various (different after reconnecting) server of freenode when disconnecting, but the auth always works.

I'm connecting to swiftirc via "server -m irc.swiftirc.net -i Ouims -jn #chans -l nickserv pass" which also connects to different server, but this time it's always failing after disconnecting that way

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Do you have any of these servers defined in the servers list? If you do, mIRC may be looking for a match for the network/server in the servers list to cycle through if there is a connection issue.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
I do have irc.swiftirc.net defined in the server list for swiftirc, whereas freenode is defined as chat.freenode.net

I do not like the server list as it is right now because it cannot be used easily to automatically do multiple connections to irc server on start. I've tried to delete the server list on the hard drive (servers.ini ?) but mIRC rebuild the content iirc.
I could still delete the entry in the server list in mIRC but that doesn't seem to be a good solution, I'd rather keep the default server list but be able to basically not use it. I think I need a switch for /server to tell mIRC to ignore the server list on (re)connection. And I believe this switch could be useful to others people as well.

Edit: it's much worse than that when the initial /server is failing the first attempt, server list is checked and my /server -l setting is lost, I didn't even get connected or disconnected. I understand it's the expected behavior but then I need a switch.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Do you have "try next server in group" enabled in the retry dialog? If you turn it off, does that resolve your issue?

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
It does, thanks.

A following up problem is that mIRC does not seem to auth the same way after a reconnection.

When connecting from the /server (without any retry attempt):

Quote:
[19:42:06] * Ouims sets mode: +ix
[19:42:06] -NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your
[19:42:07] -NickServ- nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise,
[19:42:07] -NickServ- please choose a different nick.
[19:42:07] -NickServ- If you do not change within 20 seconds, I will change your nick.
[19:42:07] -NickServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized.
[19:42:07] * NickServ sets mode: +r
and +R channel are joined correctly: I'm identified before mIRC sends the /join.

After that, I unplugged the ethernet cable, let the connection disconnects, then replugged it back:

Quote:
[19:48:50] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
[19:48:50] * Disconnected
[19:48:53] * Connect retry #1 irc.swiftirc.net (6668)
[19:48:53] * Unable to resolve server
[19:48:56] * Connect retry #2 irc.swiftirc.net (7000)
[19:48:56] * Unable to resolve server
[19:48:59] * Connect retry #3 irc.swiftirc.net (6668)
[19:48:59] * Unable to resolve server
[19:49:02] * Connect retry #4 irc.swiftirc.net (6667)
[19:49:03] * Ouims sets mode: +ix
[19:49:03] -NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your
[19:49:03] -NickServ- nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise,
[19:49:03] -NickServ- please choose a different nick.
[19:49:03] -NickServ- If you do not change within 20 seconds, I will change your nick.
[19:49:03] You need a registered nick to join that channel.
[19:49:03] You need a registered nick to join that channel.
[19:49:03] -NickServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized.
[19:49:03] * NickServ sets mode: +r
Is this just a small timing issue? Is mIRC sending the /join the same as before regardless of the new nickserv auth features (I believe there are threads discussing this)? I suppose so, it would be hard for mIRC to check nickserv's answer, it can be any language etc. I will add /autojoin -d3 back in my perform.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you switch to using SASL to connect to swiftirc, does that resolve your issue?

Update: looking into this a little more, I did find some contexts where the "try next server in group" setting was not being observed. I have made a change in the next version which should resolve this.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sorry if this is out of touch, but I wonder if mIRC will lose some of its cached connection parameters from the previous connection, for certain types of reconnect failure errors. I note similarly that after certain failure to reconnect, that logs no longer go to the network's status log, but to a generic status log file. I estimate that mIRC may forget its connection cache at that point, except for the server address and port.

(the generic status.log thing has been like that forever)

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
that logs no longer go to the network's status log, but to a generic status log file

That is intentional. It will default to a generic status.log file when not connected. We went through this process years ago in trying to decide how best to name the log file when in a non-connected state, tried different methods, and settled on the current method. I am not going to go through all of that again, sorry!

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Switching to sasl wouldn't be a good solution, some server just don't support sasl. I believe I originally tried sasl, it wasn't available and I used nickserv.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I connected to swiftirc a moment ago and caps support listed sasl, so it should work.

On the other hand, if you try connecting to Freenode using nickserv, does that work? ie. do you see the same connection issue? I am trying to establish whether there is a specific issue with nickserv vs sasl.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
On freenode it's always working perfectly, even if I change the server list entry for freenode and changing chat.freenode.net to irc.freenode.net, aka the same address I'm using.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
A following up problem is that mIRC does not seem to auth the same way after a reconnection.

I just tested this out. I followed your above steps: connected using /server command (tried both nickserv and sasl), unplugged cable, mIRC showed host disconnected error, waited for a while (if I don't wait long enough, my nickname will still be in use on reconnect), replugged cable, mIRC reconnected and authed nickname, and only afterwards joined channels.

If you use /debug to watch the reconnect/auth process, can you see what is happening in your case?

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Right now the test did not work, as in it identified me correctly after the reconnection.
But I have been using /debug before for this, and I seem to recall that the debug was just according to the observation, the join command appears before the nickserv confirmation message, basically.

I'll just wait for the issue to reappear.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Ok it happened again today, I don't have a log from /debug but, again, it would show the same as what I get in status:

Quote:
[16:50:55] -NickServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized.
[16:50:56] You need a registered nick to join that channel.
[16:50:56] You need a registered nick to join that channel.
[16:50:56] * NickServ sets mode: +r

That is, mIRC is sending the JOIN before the server consider I'm identified.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Which IRCd / network is that, Ouims? Seems unreasonably slow. Might also be something to bring up to the IRCd maintainers.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
It's swiftirc, it was mentioned in earlier in the thread.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am still unable to reproduce this issue. Every time I have tested this out, mIRC has waited until it has received a reply from nickserv before sending the join command. The only reason this might happen is if the server delays the nickserv reply for over 60 seconds. This is how long mIRC will wait for a reply before deciding that something has gone wrong with the server and continuing with the perform/join process. Or if you have used /autojoin yourself to override the join delay. We would need to see a debug.log in your situation to determine what is happening.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
I cannot reproduce on demand as well so it may be normal that you didn't reproduce the issue yet. I added /debug to my on start event to automatically starts the debug on that connection, we'll see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard