mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#262591 26/02/18 04:33 AM
A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
I know its topic about this already but i would like to take ut up again.

I know its possible to script this but why not just hardcode an option in mIRC that allow you to only use one, if you have it ticked its just open the current mIRC window.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are using Windows Vista, 7 or better, you can just "pin" the mIRC icon to your task bar when it is running. That way, it will start when you click on that icon, and then it will only activate it any time you click on it again from then on.

Most programs don't have a single-instance option. It's pretty easy to not open a second instance of a program if you simply do not want to open a second instance.

But I only mention this in case you didn't know how to pin icons to your taskbar. Khaled may decide to add a feature for since-instance behavior.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Well first of all, i think its crazy and just stupid not have it.

I my case i have it where you can pin your programs in the taskbar and always click on it when its already open, very enoying after 1000 of times.

But i will look in to it and thanks for the tip i do know about the feature but have not look it to it.

Last edited by antonstarlid; 26/02/18 04:51 PM.
Z
Babel fish
Babel fish
Z
I like this idea, especially for those who have startup scripts.

There are previous threads about this topic:
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/255950/Multiple/one_instance_of_mIRC
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/231335

I feel that pinning mIRC is a workaround that depends on the OS. Personally, I'd rather not depend on the OS for my mIRC's behavior, and I use WINE for all of my mIRC installations, and this is behavior is not possible for me unless I write some (shell) scripts.

I suppose there different methods to use during an on start event to check if an instance is running and then /exit -n . There are scripts in the threads I linked.

I imagine these would be acceptable to most users who need to force one instance, but I would also say a smart user is extremely reluctant about installing and running mIRC code where they can't understand the source code.

Last edited by Zelda4ever32; 26/02/18 09:37 PM. Reason: to calm my pedantry

/tokenize 32 $gettok($1-,1-,32)
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
You can make mIRC ask for a password so you don't accidentally start a second copy.

Tools -> Options -> Other -> Lock -> [Lock] -> Enter password -> [check] Ask for password; On Startup -> OK

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Maybe mIRC should, by default, not open a secondary instance of mIRC upon the same INI file, unless a specific override command-line /switch is used. In this way, you can always open secondary instances of mIRC with alternate INI filepaths, but never with the same INI without an override.

Opening multiple instances of mIRC on the same INI is always discouraged, as it often leads to disaster.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard