mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Right now, I just hovered over the mirc icon in the taskbar, and mirc crashed.

Multiple things going on.
I did make the window buffer size 1000 from 50000, but it seems it still crashes smirk

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue so far. I run mIRC, hover my mouse over its icon in the Windows taskbar, and nothing happens. Which version of Windows are you using? Can you describe a step by step method of reproducing this issue? If you try this with a clean install of mIRC (install mIRC into a new, empty folder, using the "portable" option in the installer, and run it from there), do you see the same issue?

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
I just tried it and it didn't crash on my PC either.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Hi Mr Khaled,

The thing is, I have had mirc running since 7 days.
When mIRC has been running for sometime, let's say usually, more than 5 days, or like this 7 days, it would randomly crash when I hover over the mirc icon.

This did not used to happen.
I hope there is nothing wrong with the memory of my computer or something.

Usually, other programs never crash, so I don't think it's a problem with my computer memory or some other component.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue so far. I run mIRC, hover my mouse over its icon in the Windows taskbar, and nothing happens. Which version of Windows are you using? Can you describe a step by step method of reproducing this issue? If you try this with a clean install of mIRC (install mIRC into a new, empty folder, using the "portable" option in the installer, and run it from there), do you see the same issue?

Please see https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/261755/mIRC_crashes_from_time_to_time#Post261755

This is another thread I made.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As mentioned in the previous thread, you will need to unload your scripts to narrow down the cause of the issue. It would be very easy for a script to cause mIRC to crash by allocating memory, using sockets, making COM or DLL calls, and so on. The only way to track down such an issue is to try to find out which script is causing it.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Originally Posted By: Khaled
As mentioned in the previous thread, you will need to unload your scripts to narrow down the cause of the issue. It would be very easy for a script to cause mIRC to crash by allocating memory, using sockets, making COM or DLL calls, and so on. The only way to track down such an issue is to try to find out which script is causing it.

Okay so let me say this,

I added popup scripts sometime back.
I also added a whois script.

I don't think the scripts are causing it.

They are small scripts to be honest.
Can you help me debug somehow?

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
I added this script: https://dev.adiirc.com/boards/5/topics/170

and the popup scripts are small in size, and I am sure they can't be causing it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Code:
10 7.51 4ff476850c039dc0ab0ae5c89057cfea ok 1 24 0 0

In your other post, it looks like you have 24 scripts loaded. Is this still the case? If it is, the cause could be any one of those scripts. The only way to be sure is to unload all scripts and then load them in one by one over time until you find one that causes the issue.

If you believe that the scripts are not causing the issue, you will need to confirm this by unloading all scripts and running mIRC to see if the issue still appears. This is the only way that we can narrow down the cause of the issue.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Hi Mr Khaled,

I doubt it's the scripts.
I am still using 24 scripts yes.

What if the scripts are just popups, most of them, and some custom scripts that are not that long at all, they just do small things.

And like I described, the crash only occurs after mIRC has been running for 7+ days.

I am not using any scripts that are too big in size or have a lot of code.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
vigilant: Without your direct assistance in narrowing down the bug, Khaled can only graciously accept your bug report with a smile and a shrug.

However, if you want to actually help track down the bug, please follow the standardized programmer's guide to debugging as explained above. It is important that you narrow it down and make the process steps repeatable in order for it to be fixed.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Give me some time and I will do it

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Okay I've unloaded the scripts, now let's wait 7+ days to see if mirc crashes or not when I hover over the taskbar notification icon.

V
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
This seems to be fixed.
If it happens again, i'll let you all know.
Thanks to those who've helped, and specially Mr Khaled.

Link Copied to Clipboard