mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
My power supply is starting to go and I've noticed that mIRC's mirc.ini file gets reset with the default whenever my computer does a hard reset. My profile is saved in the roaming folder and there is no indication of why this is happening.

I've had this happen on multiple version of Windows (currently running Win10+Anniversary x64) back to probably win7 but seems to happen pretty consistently now.

This is not the signature you are looking for
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
What version of mIRC are you running?

Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
Latest (7.46).

Mind you this has been happening (typically very infrequently) for the past 3+ years

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Yeah but 7.46 was specifically supposed to take care of that

Pikka bird
Pikka bird
This has been happening to me recently too (at least 3 times last week alone..).

This has even happened after mIRC had been closed. (I wasn't sure if it was closed the first time, but the others I made sure it was.)

Last edited by Stewie1k94; 24/08/16 11:32 AM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Have you checked for temporary copies in your Roaming/mIRC directory? You should be able to use those to recover, even if the file itself is gone. Also you may want to confirm you have the second checkbox disabled in your disk drive cache policies (screenshot).

Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
My configurations match that screenshot and I do not have any temporaries. Luckily I did make my own backup a while ago because of this issue, but mIRC does not make any copies itself

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm not sure if you checked this so far, but it is kind of important so if you could then please check next time: after the reboot, but before starting mIRC, is your mirc.ini 1) completely missing, 2) there but empty, 3) not empty but also not complete (ie truncated), or 4) does it have garbage in it?

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
so it looks like it is fine until I restart mIRC again, at which point it immediately overwrites it. It is also worth noting that mIRC seems to have been reset (registry maybe?) as it goes through the splash screen again and looks like it may re-register itself. I also noticed that steam has a tendency to log me out, which may be related (maybe some windows issue).

I'd say an easy fix would to at least check for an existing mirc.ini file (or do a better job of checking) before overwriting it

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. This issue was recently discussed extensively here. Please see the comments in that thread for more details.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Mister Khaled:

May I request that mIRC maintain session backups of the .ini files that users report losing data in? I've attempted to script a solution several times, but I don't think it can ever be as capable as an internally coded solution.

A simple copy of all the .ini's to .ini.bak upon mIRC's start, I think, should solve this problem going forward. Check if a .ini.bak file exists before creating new .ini files from scratch.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard