mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#25720 24/05/03 04:50 AM
_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
ok im not sure if this has been suggested or if its just a stupid idea..but id like to be able to see the colors i use..like..in a chat room using mirc it only shows the colors you pick for it to show..well id like to be able to see my own color.

#25721 24/05/03 05:26 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Could you rephrase the suggestion better, or perhaps ask "how do I..." The way it sounds now, it says that you are able to pick the colors you want, but unable to see the colors you want.

All colors can be changed in the Color preferences box, press ALT+K or click the crayon toolbar icon. If you don't like the palette selection, you can change any of the 16 colors by double clicking on them.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#25722 24/05/03 05:31 AM
_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
ok, sorry im kinda tired right now..i meant where i can fix the colors i want..but to where other people can view the color that im using...and where i can see the color too..sorry if im not making since its hard to explain.

#25723 24/05/03 05:38 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think I understand what you're saying.

You're probably use to most instant messangers today where you can change your text color and everyone else sees your text in that color, and you see their text in their special color.

The IRC protocol doesn't support color or text formatting in messages, except for special client-recognized control codes. Not all IRC clients use them, but in mIRC you can add Bold, Underline, Reverse, and Color by pressing any of the following before and after a word. Ctrl+B, Ctrl+U, Ctrl+R and Ctrl+K.

Besides that, there is no other exchange of color or formatting between clients, unless you write a special script and share it among friends.

- Raccoon

#25724 24/05/03 05:42 AM
Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
Just something a friend (and I) wrote up on the subject:

http://www.b000.net/irc/24bit.txt

#25725 24/05/03 05:51 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
IRC is one of the few remaining things that terminal machines can do now (even email is hard to read with everyone sending sh[b][/b]it in HTML), and its already annoying when mIRC colors are used.

Colors don't enrich a conversation, they mostly serve to destract from it. (in the cases where colors build on a discussion, 16 are sufficient) Next people will be increasing their font size to 72pt and talking in 3 letter sentences.

- Raccoon

#25726 24/05/03 07:55 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
i honestly think colors (damn you americans! COLOURS) should be removed from any and every IRC client full stop. Or at least only allow bold and underline to be sent in text.

Colours (yay for real spelling) should be left to client side only, ie, no colour codes sent in a text string.

Bold and underline are suffice.

But thats my opinion.

If you really want colours, go run amuck with paint!

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
#25727 24/05/03 09:00 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Please note that I'm American and refuse to except that Khaled renamed $colour to $color. Call me nostalgic or just a xenophobe, but I think it should stay $colour, and I continue to use it with that spelling.

- Raccoon
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#25728 24/05/03 11:54 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I like $colour better too, though he did add $color because some people don't comprehend correct spelling.

#25729 26/05/03 04:52 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
No he added $color because color IS the correct spelling; not the US's fault that all you Brits, Aussies, and Canadians are stuck in the 1800's. The language has changed, accept it, get used to it, and learn to love it.

#25730 26/05/03 06:35 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I appreciate your narrow minded viewpoint... you make me proud to call myself an American.

#25731 26/05/03 07:00 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
How is my statement narrowminded? I'm not the one who said "colour is incorrect" he said color is incorrect, or at least implied in when he said we can't comprehend the correct spelling; that sounds narrowminded to me. All I said is colour is the old way of spelling it. If you look up "colour" in the dictionary it says "a variant of color," therefore implying that "color" is the main word. However if you look up "color" it will not say "a variant of colour" because colour is an alternative and old spelling. And you can argue with me all you want, but then I suggest you learn etymology, because the history of the word "color" is it comes from the middle english word "colour." And do note, that middle english hasn't been spoken for many hundreds of years.

#25732 26/05/03 10:39 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually, the word colour is quite simply "the British word for color". It should also be noted that this is the original spelling of the word, and was only changed just recently in the past century by Americans. Saying that color is the correct spelling, is like saying trousers is correctly spelled p a n t s.

- Raccoon

PS. You should note there are many other similar language variations, especially with words you'd expect to end in 'ize' that end with 'ise' instead. These are no more incorrect... perhaps unamerican.

#25733 26/05/03 10:49 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Last time I checked, the spelling of a word in the English language was governed by the English. Whether American pseudo-English says it is spelled 'color' or not, the true English spelling contains a 'u'. I'm fairly sure we don't need Americans to decide whether we're spelling our own language correctly. The language hasn't changed, America has just created their own little branch of it.

I assumed you were joking when I first read the post, now I'm not so sure...

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#25734 26/05/03 11:06 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I'm sorry, I take offense when people tell me I can't "comprehend" a 6 letter word like "colour," if you can't see that as being the slightest bit insulting to American. If you tell someone they can't "comprehend" a word like "colour" you are basically saying they have the intelligence of a 2 year old.

#25735 26/05/03 11:39 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Obviously, your "comprehension" is a bit lacking in this thread. Watchdog said that Khaled added $color because of people's suffering "spelling comprehension", which before today wasn't even a valid term... but all that changed with your explanation of "middle english" language to argue that colour is obsolete and all people should "get used to it, and learn to love it."

Watchdog never insulted you to begin with. You misinterpret many things that people say, then turn it into a big thing all blown out of proportion, thread and thread again.

The question is not whether you comprehend a 6 letter word like colour, but can possibly comprehend it's origin and thriving validity as a word in the languages of today.

- Raccoon

#25736 26/05/03 11:57 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
omg your arguing over a spelling? wtf is wrong with u guys ur all way more intelligent than this ive seen alot of your alls work ..... frankly who cares how it was spelled and why khaled changed it ..... thats his reasons which probably might have been addessed in a update txt somewhere ....... but either way why argue the mute point? personally tho if i had to choose a preference id choose $color simply because its one less letter ... and the fact hes changed it to color would also imply he may be doing away with the old way in later versions ...... i can say yes its because im american but im not that vein to think the world revolves around me really it all comes down to whats in the helpfile at the time i script something cause there is no way i can sit and remember everything im constantly opening that thing up to look at identifiers and a quick refresher of why something tells me invalid blah blah blah ...... anyhow im sure there are other subjects we could all debate besides how to spell colour/color as either way right now they both mean the same thing inside of mirc scripting and this is what we are here for is it not?

D3m0nnet.com
#25737 27/05/03 12:30 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How is my statement narrowminded? I'm not the one who said "colour is incorrect" he said color is incorrect, or at least implied in when he said we can't comprehend the correct spelling;

How did you know who I meant? You might be right but you always assume the worst...

In my view there's no need for $color but it was added to keep everyone happy.

#25738 04/06/03 05:40 AM
R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
who cares?!!? if you prefer to use $color or $colour just make an alias for it. ie:

alias colour {
return $color( $1- )
}

Stop arguing about stuff that doesn't matter and just make a workaround!

#25739 04/06/03 09:30 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
um do u know why your making an alias for an identifier that already exists? maybe reading thru the whole thread would help u greatly

D3m0nnet.com

Link Copied to Clipboard