mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I know this is old behavior and subjective in nature, but I still feel it should be reported as a bug.

When someone changes their nickname, the event doesn't display their address when Options > IRC > Options > Show: [x] User addresses is enabled.

Example:

[00:00] * madgoat is now known as moosheep

Instead of:

[00:00] * madgoat is now known as moosheep (~arnie@feedme.org)

With the lack of addresses in nick changes, it makes CTRL+F or /findtext on a user very difficult as they continuously change their nickname, as well as log tracking.

I believe the address should be shown with Nick events as it is with Join/Part/Quit events.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This option is limited to invites, joins, parts, and quits by design. I think the main reason was that showing addresses took up space and made text more cluttered and less readable, so it was limited to just a few events where they would be useful.

There are a number of other events that do not show addresses, such as nicks, modes, kicks, and topics. If I make this change, it would probably make sense to apply it to all of these events. Otherwise, somewhere down the line, someone else will report the same issue with another event.

So, such a change would apply to the following events:

Nicks:
* madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org) is now known as moosheep

Modes:
* madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org) sets mode: +mode
* madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org) sets #channel mode: +mode

Kicks:
* You were kicked by madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org)
For thoroughness, maybe change this to:
* You were kicked from #channel by madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org)

* racoon was kicked by madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org)
* racoon was kicked from #channel by madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org)

Topics:
* madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org) changes topic to 'Feed Me'
* madgoat (~arnie@feedme.org) changes #channel topic to 'Feed Me'

For some events, the #channel name was excluded as it added unecessary clutter (as it is being displayed in the channel any way) but it would probably be useful as it would be part of the event in the logs.

This has been added to my to-do list.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Would it be possible to extend the feature so it's possible to select which event displays the addresses?
The main reason it wasn't showing addresses for those events is a good reason (first time I see something about it tbh).
I can see how it might be useful for nick event, but for the others, it's not as useful imo. Allowing users to select the events for which the addresses are shown would make anyone happy.
I also don't see how including the channel name is useful in any way, as you said it's displayed in the channel the event happened on only, and logs are per channel so the same logic applies.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Wims
I can see how it might be useful for nick event, but for the others, it's not as useful imo.

Agreed. In fact I think this whole feature suggestion is a great example of something that can (and should) be scripted instead. Let's face it: for the originally stated purpose, kick events would have to show the address of the victim, not of the kicker, and that would involve the IAL and get all weird and messy. Cluttering the other events' output just for consistency's sake is not going to make anyone happy either..

(I did enjoy the subtle jab at Raccoon's spelling of his own nickname though :P)

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Eh. I agree, Khaled, on the "clutter" point you made. The specific event that I raised... the Nick event... is just in such high proximity to Join/Part/Quit that I feel it alone should be blessed with the address displayed. It's a CHANNEL IDENTITY event.

All the other events you've mentioned: Topic, Mode, Kick, don't necessarily warrant an address appended to them, because they are not in the realm of identifying someone's presence in the channel as Join, Part, Quit, and Nick are.

To phrase it in another way: The Nick event is a nearest equivalent to someone Quitting and Joining the channel again with a new nickname.

In practice, someone changing their nickname several times, before changing their nickname to that of a known channel op, can help obscure someone's identity enough that people become confused if they're the real deal. It's very difficult to scroll back through all the nickname changes (tracking each one) in the log to find their original Join event.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Okay, I have extended the show user addresses option to apply to nickname changes. This will be in the next version.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Thanks Khaled! laugh

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Just one observation though.

Originally Posted By: Raccoon
* madgoat is now known as moosheep (~arnie@feedme.org)

Originally Posted By: Khaled

With consideration to existing log parsers and the ability to type "madgoat is now known as moosheep" into CTRL+F, it might help if the address were at the end of the event string. But either way works I guess smile

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Well unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense to have the address anywhere but next to the nickname

Edit: I guess the nickname is the same person so nevermind wink it's just that I like the latter better

Last edited by Wims; 31/01/15 04:02 PM.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Ouims, fortunately there's a nickname at the end of the line! Lookit that smile

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
[00:00] * madgoat is now known as moosheep (~arnie@feedme.org)

I'm not a fan of this change. I find it to be a little bit too much info as I personally only want to see the (ident@address.com) on joins/parts/quits, not nick changes.

I'm thinking about a way we could specifically pick what we want to see for what events.
I have created an extremely crude image with only some of the events, as an idea of what I am suggesting.

Just some examples for the drop down arrow in the image.
Join:
Nick (ident@address.com) has joined #mirc
Nick has joined #mirc

Part:
Nick (ident@address.com) has left #mirc ("reason")
Nick has left #mirc ("reason")

Quit:
Nick (ident@address.com) quit (Quit: Leaving)
Nick has quit (Quit: Leaving)

Kick:
Nick was kicked by KindOne (Nick)
Nick (ident@address.com) was kicked by KindOne (Kick Reason)

Nick:
Nick is now known as NewNick (ident@address.com)
Nick (ident@address) is now known as NewNick
Nick is now known as NewNick

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
frown

I figured you'd be interested most of all with banning bot/drone nickname floods and the like.

Me personally, I think it'd be cool to export the entire "String Resource" and allow mIRC to use it if present, eg, strings.txt. It would have the bonus of allowing people to custom theme and translate pretty much every dialog and event text displayed in mIRC.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
That's what I suggested in my post because I can see how one would want it but I personnaly don't like the change, I'm too used to the old format.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Just one observation though.

Originally Posted By: Raccoon
* madgoat is now known as moosheep (~arnie@feedme.org)

Originally Posted By: Khaled

With consideration to existing log parsers and the ability to type "madgoat is now known as moosheep" into CTRL+F, it might help if the address were at the end of the event string. But either way works I guess smile

I added support for this using the first format, with the address at the end, for the reasons you mention. However, every time I see it, it does not look quite right. Even though it is the same nickname, it really should be the second format, placing it next to the nickname that is causing the event, which is how all other events are displayed. I have reverted this change for the next version, which is imminent, and will look at it again for a subsequent version.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
What if you were to alternate between the two variants depending on IRC > Options >'[x] Short joins and parts'

When enabled, addresses appear at the very end of all events.

[12:00] * Joins: MadGoat (arnie@secretly.tjerk.is)
[12:01] * MadGoat is now known as MooSheep (arnie@secretly.tjerk.is)
[12:02] * Parts: MooSheep (arnie@secretly.tjerk.is)
[12:03] * Joins: MooSheep (arnie@secretly.tjerk.is)
[12:04] * Quits: MooSheep (arnie@secretly.tjerk.is) (bye!)

When disabled, addresses appear at the beginning of all events.

[12:00] * MadGoat (arnie@secretly.krejt.is) has joined #mIRC
[12:01] * MadGoat (arnie@secretly.krejt.is) is now known as MooSheep
[12:02] * MooSheep (arnie@secretly.krejt.is) has left #mIRC
[12:03] * MooSheep (arnie@secretly.krejt.is) has joined #mIRC
[12:04] * MooSheep (arnie@secretly.krejt.is) Quit (bye!)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The short join/part option is intended to show a short version of the the join and part (ah... and quit) events, using the prefixes "Joins:" "Parts:" "Quits:". It should probably have been called "Prefix events" since that is where its utility is - making it clear what an event is by using a "Prefix:" and shortening the event text. If it is extended to nick changes, it should add a new nick event format prefixed with "Nick:". It should probably be extended to nick, mode, and topic events for consistency.

The position of the address within the message is not related to this option. The address really should come after the nickname causing the event, the same as with all other events.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Aye. I can see your reasoning there. My only thought on the matter was over all aesthetics. The eye sees 'addresses suffixes' and so expects them all the way 'at the end' when using the "short" version. I've always used the short version so that's why I thought to ask having them on the right.

I can always change it for my personal display smile Either way the feature is a good one.

Link Copied to Clipboard