mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#244052 20/01/14 09:22 AM
A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Hay everyone and i would like to see mIRC handle multi DNS addresses, back in the days when this problem started for me i registration a domain for my self just to use it whit mIRC as i have free subdomains on it. Anyways today i use it to alot more then just service mIRC.

So whats the problem, if you have like i did and also still have an BNC in this case ZNC i only needed one single address IP or DNS to connect to all my networks it was on. But when i have mIRC to autojoin networks automatic on startup and even if some network disconnect and the reconnect it will be comfused as it don´t know what "DNS" that is that correct one and this end up it that it can join any of all networks i added to my server list whit same adress

/ Anton

Last edited by antonstarlid; 20/01/14 09:22 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC already handles named addresses that resolve to multiple IP addresses. This is important, for example, when connecting to round robin server addresses that return multiple IP addresses for servers on that network. mIRC will try to connect in turn to each IP address until it makes a successful connection.

I have never used a ZNC, so I will let others who have more experience help out here, however what you are referring to sounds like a limitation of the ZNC or with how DNS itself works. For example, when you resolve a named address to a set of IP addresses, the Windows DNS resolver will cache that result, so any further DNS requests will use the cached result. I am not sure if there is a programmatic way of flushing the Windows DNS cache, however if there is, it will flush the DNS for the OS as a whole, and all other applications, so that is not something that any application should do regularly.

A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
I'm not sure i understand but ZNC its not a problem here, you can do this whit any network you have on mIRC and get same problem. You add it to your favorites like any other Networks the way you connect to it is like this "localhost+7000:User/Network:Password:Name" <- thats how it looks in the servers.ini, but as soon you use localhost or anything other on 20 Networks that is the same it will mess up the connections and mIRC can´t separate them, not that this will only happen if you get disconnected from server and mIRC try to reconnect to it, not on startup or anything other

And i believe that mIRC try to find the correct Name and not just search for the DNS it used, if it only need that its why its messed up easy to slove and just let it get correct NetworkName then find the DNS for it

here is an example
"localhost+7000:User/Network:Password:Server1
"localhost+7000:User/Network:Password:Server2
"localhost+7000:User/Network:Password:Server3

when mIRC try to reconnect if any of those disconnect it can be any of this above, as it won´t know witch on that is correct. But as you see its have all there own NetworkName

/ Anton

Last edited by antonstarlid; 21/01/14 09:25 AM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If you running on *nix system, then try PSY Bnc, i never noticed any problem with that one when i used it befor.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I booted up a couple virtual machines in an attempt to reproduce your problem. Here are the two lines from my servers.ini after adding them to the server list (why do they differ from yours?). I'm able to connect to each using /server znc1 and /server -m znc2

n0=znc2SERVER:mint:+9000:memnoch/arch:passwordGROUP:znc2
n1=znc1SERVER:mint:+9000:memnoch/localhost:passwordGROUP:znc1

Did you specify a group for each? If you have the same server addresses without a group, I wouldn't be surprised if mIRC tried to connect to each in turn. I don't think DNS is involved.

When I disconnect the znc server, each connection is disconnected and the treebar text changes from the server name back to zn1 and znc2. On reconnect in a debug window I see the proper password field passed to each connection. I have not seen either connection switch to the other.

A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Originally Posted By: sparta
First of all how did you use psyBNC? As it can use multinetworks in a whole different way that ZNC can. So im not sure if you even did the test correct.

Originally Posted By: Loki12583
I would try whit more networks like 10 or something disconnect everyone and see if it can reconnect to same, i going to try this myself also maybe tomorrow see if i can find the problem as well, fun whit ppl that really try to do something good around here

Last edited by antonstarlid; 21/01/14 06:35 PM.
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
If I'm reading this correctly, this is happening:

1, You start mIRC and connect to ZNC. Everything is fine.

Example:

2, You lose connection to ZNC and this happens:

Example:

3, Then mIRC seems to get "confused" and something like this happens when it reconnects:

Example:

I've had this issue before when I used the servers.ini file. Basically mIRC seems to freak out when it loses connection and it tries to connect to the very first network in the treebar for ALL the connections.

I stopped using (I deleted mine, you might want to make a backup to save your info) the servers.ini (ALT+E). Now I just use an on start script to connect to all the networks in the znc.

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
psybnc is almost dead. ZNC is rather active. Switching from an active one to a almost dead one is rather silly.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I dont use bnc, and i hav not been usint it for years, i just remember that psy bnc worked prefect and i never had any problems with it. smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
KindOne: Thank you!

Tested and confirmed the error, now you just have to see what developer wants to do with it.

But I am quite sure that this is a problem from mIRC´s side and has nothing to do with ZNC.

Because it´s the DNS addresses it can´t handle when it has same name, nothing else.

/ Anton

Last edited by antonstarlid; 23/01/14 10:46 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this issue. If you can please provide a step by step method of reproducing this, I will try to test it out here.

Loki12583's comment above may indicate why you are seeing this issue. If you can set up a small servers.ini file, with just the entries that are causing the issue, and post the servers.ini here, that may help in tracking down the issue.

That said, I am pretty sure that this issue has been discussed and explained before on the forums, although I cannot seem to find the post right now.

A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
This is fun, i mean to me its quite clear what the problem is. But i won´t say anything as i know myself im really slow, and then i mean more slow then a slug.

Anyways what you need is a ZNC, you can´t test it whitout is as i don´t know any other way to connect to same DNS and come two different networks. Or have i actully miss another way to do it?

You have two ways ether you contact me private, and i can setup a ZNC for you. Or you have to do it yourself, no wait if you don´t use linux this can be the thing for you ZNC-MSVC it works for windows!

Loki12583's comment, not sure what you are after there my friend but yes every server is in different groups of course.

This is how my server.ini looks

Quote:
n56=Network1SERVER:n1.mydns.se:+6999:User/Network1:PasswordGROUP:Network1
n58=Network2SERVER:n2.mydns.se:+6999:User/Network2:PasswordGROUP:Network2
n64=Network3SERVER:n3.mydns.se:+6999:User/Network3:PasswordGROUP:Network3
n69=Network4SERVER:n4.mydns.se:+6999:User/Network4:PasswordGROUP:Network4
n72=Network5SERVER:n5.mydns.se:+6999:User/Network5:PasswordGROUP:Network5

What mIRC can´t handle is if server.ini looks like this

Quote:
n56=Network1SERVER:mydns.se:+6999:User/Network1:PasswordGROUP:Network1
n58=Network2SERVER:mydns.se:+6999:User/Network2:PasswordGROUP:Network2
n64=Network3SERVER:mydns.se:+6999:User/Network3:PasswordGROUP:Network3
n69=Network4SERVER:mydns.se:+6999:User/Network4:PasswordGROUP:Network4
n72=Network5SERVER:mydns.se:+6999:User/Network5:PasswordGROUP:Network5

Last edited by antonstarlid; 24/01/14 10:13 AM.
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
I did this on a laptop connecting to znc 1.2 over wi-fi to another computer on the LAN. (You can also use Ethernet)

1, Enter code into script / servers.ini.
2, Start mIRC
3, Let it connect.
4, Disconnect from wi-fi via wi-fi icon next/near to the clock on the task bar.
5, Wait for mIRC to disconnect (minute or two) / try to reconnect.
6, Reconnect to wi-fi via wi-fi icon.
7, Watch mIRC get 'confused' and you will see something like 'Example 3' from my earlier post.

Code:
[servers]
n0=zncSERVER:192.168.254.100:+10000GROUP:Rizon
n1=zncSERVER:192.168.254.100:+10000GROUP:EsperNet
n2=zncSERVER:192.168.254.100:+10000GROUP:GameSurge

Code:
on *:start:{ 

server 192.168.254.100 +10000 KindOne/Rizon:password
  server -m 192.168.254.100 +10000 KindOne/EsperNet:password
  server -m 192.168.254.100 +10000 KindOne/GameSurge:password

}

-----------------------------------

The issue does not occur with this:

Code:
[servers]
n0=zncSERVER:192.168.254.100:+10000:KindOne/GameSurge:passwordGROUP:GameSurge
n1=zncSERVER:192.168.254.100:+10000:KindOne/EsperNet:passwordGROUP:EsperNet
n2=zncSERVER:192.168.254.100:+10000:KindOne/Rizon:passwordGROUP:Rizon

Code:

server Rizon
  server -m EsperNet
  server -m GameSurge

}

--------------------------------

The issue does not occur if you just use this.
Do not add anything for these networks to the servers.ini.
This is what I use now:

Code:

server 192.168.254.100 +10000 KindOne/Rizon:password
  server -m 192.168.254.100 +10000 KindOne/EsperNet:password
  server -m 192.168.254.100 +10000 KindOne/GameSurge:password

}

A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Khaled: here is a "youtube video" thats shows what happens.

I don´t got this in the record, but if you connect same way whit diffrent DNS servers, this problem will never happen for some reason

Last edited by antonstarlid; 25/01/14 06:31 AM.
A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Originally Posted By: antonstarlid
I don´t got this in the record, but if you connect same way whit diffrent DNS servers, this problem will never happen for some reason

Hmm was probably a bit wrong there. However, it is not tested in a right way.

And in server.ini is all unique so depending on how mIRC read this, it must be possible to make it work without becoming confused. Can not be too hard because as I said, every entery are unique things to look for so this should not happen.

KindOne: I mean I'm using a script to access all of my network that I get into when I start up mIRC and there are way too many to fix in such a file. It's possible of course but what inflexible it would be.

Last edited by antonstarlid; 25/01/14 01:38 PM.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Since KindOne said it did not occur for both instances (pretty sure he meant it did occur with one of them), it looks like he meant to say it did for the last one.

You can see that when you start up and before you connect, each is labeled freenode on the side. So while you only notice after you're disconnected, it's about matching up to the correct group in the first place.

The problem seems to be this: when using /server domain port password even if this matches an entry in servers.ini, the password you used here is not used to look up the entry in servers.ini, and so they all match to the first entry of that domain. When you reconnect, it goes to reconnect to that matched entry.

Looks like your solutions for now are either to connect using /server group, or not to define them in servers.ini.

Then the question becomes, how should it be treated when a password is provided? If I connect with /server server password and the password is defined in servers.ini, it seems like the password should be used to differentiate which group it is. But if I connect with /server server password, and the password is not defined in servers.ini, should this be treated as the group defined in servers.ini or not? Would the password be used when trying to connect to other servers in the group?

A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
I would say it is up to the programmer to decide, even if there are ways to get past this, it is a bug

Perhaps it is time to update how servers.ini looks or anything else what do I know

Did not you check on my movie?

/ Anton

Last edited by antonstarlid; 25/01/14 03:54 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Loki12583 has described the reason for this behavior correctly. mIRC cycles through your servers list based on either the server address or the network name, depending on how the server connection is initiated. Since you have defined multiple servers with the same IP address, when you try to connect with an IP address, mIRC will search for the network that includes that address in its list and will cycle through all servers defined for that network. This is by design and there is no way around this since the only information available is the server address.

As Loki12583 noted, if you specify a password and you have included the password details in the server definition in the server list, this could also be used to find a matching server entry in the servers list to determine the network for that address (assuming that you used different passwords for each entry). I will look into this for the next version. If anyone thinks there may be any side-effects to doing this, that may affect existing users, please say so.

However, if you have not included the password definition in the servers list entry, the above method will not resolve your issue. You will need to distinguish server entries using their network name. The network name can then be used by mIRC to distinctly identify one server entry from the other.

A
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
I don´t understand, if its do like this "either the server address or the network name" then maybe has a option thats sets what it should look after if it first is the "name" or address, as that would solve the problem i think. Just let it search after group. As most networks are in groups that will also solve problem. If you don´t mess up the group then

As i think you have look at my video. You see that the address was same but not network name.

So for my problem i can´t really don´t see the problem

Anyways nice that you will look it up and thx for your time

/ Anton

Last edited by antonstarlid; 25/01/14 08:04 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Khaled: The solution I would recommend is attaching a the Group name to a Server-Instance instead of memorizing the IP/host last connected to, unless there is no Group name present, then fall back to the 001 Network name, otherwise the IP/host:Port:Password combo.

Honestly, the whole server list needs some revamping.

Primary reason why mIRC should not reconnect to the last IP it was connected to, is because there's an explicit feature in the server list to "move server to top". By reconnecting to the last server, you are implicitly ignoring this feature.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard