Years ago when I was more active in bigger channels, I wrote a script to block unsolicited "spam" messages, but I no longer need it. I seem to be unable to get rid of it even though I've unloaded the script, and removed the .mrc and .ini files that it used, and any other file that could even vaguely be involved. I've even done search-and-replace on the terms in it and they're not present anymore in the mIRC directory or in the settings editor anywhere, yet they're still firing! I must not be looking somewhere, and I need some help to figure out where.
If I click the Scripts Editor button, I go through the five tabs (Aliases, Popups, Remotes, Users, and Variables), and on each one, I use the View menu to check each of the various files or screens, and I can't find it. It used to be found in Remote, of course, but I unloaded it, and then removed the file. I even deleted the variables, though if no Remote or Alias refers to them, how can they come into play?
Right now I have four scripts showing on the View menu in the Scripts Editor in the Remote tab. None of them have any of the code in question in them, or anything even remotely (no pun intended) related.
I've also spent some time going through the settings and I can't find anything that seems like it might refer this back to some ghost copy.
I've used a grep-like search on the entire mIRC folder for anything that even refers to the words that appear in the messages that are popping up, and removed every file that includes them, and restarted the computer.
Still, I get these notices firing and blocking messages to me, even from people who should have permissions. I need help figuring out where it could be lurking, hopefully without having to wipe out the mIRC installation and everything else in it I've had for more than a decade now.