mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Years ago when I was more active in bigger channels, I wrote a script to block unsolicited "spam" messages, but I no longer need it. I seem to be unable to get rid of it even though I've unloaded the script, and removed the .mrc and .ini files that it used, and any other file that could even vaguely be involved. I've even done search-and-replace on the terms in it and they're not present anymore in the mIRC directory or in the settings editor anywhere, yet they're still firing! I must not be looking somewhere, and I need some help to figure out where.

If I click the Scripts Editor button, I go through the five tabs (Aliases, Popups, Remotes, Users, and Variables), and on each one, I use the View menu to check each of the various files or screens, and I can't find it. It used to be found in Remote, of course, but I unloaded it, and then removed the file. I even deleted the variables, though if no Remote or Alias refers to them, how can they come into play?

Right now I have four scripts showing on the View menu in the Scripts Editor in the Remote tab. None of them have any of the code in question in them, or anything even remotely (no pun intended) related.

I've also spent some time going through the settings and I can't find anything that seems like it might refer this back to some ghost copy.

I've used a grep-like search on the entire mIRC folder for anything that even refers to the words that appear in the messages that are popping up, and removed every file that includes them, and restarted the computer.

Still, I get these notices firing and blocking messages to me, even from people who should have permissions. I need help figuring out where it could be lurking, hopefully without having to wipe out the mIRC installation and everything else in it I've had for more than a decade now.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It will help if you can let us know how things are being blocked and what, if any, notices or warnings or other messages are being shown to you when they are being blocked. It sounds like it could be a setting in mIRC if you're sure the script(s) aren't active anymore and more information would help to determine if that is the case.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
The most visible example goes like this: someone sends me a /msg and I don't see it, but I do see myself sending them back a /notice with this message:

[TrollBane] Your unsolicited msg was automatically closed by Troll Bane. Please ask for permission in channel before msging me again.

That's definitely from the script I wrote years and years ago. When I had that script loaded, the idea was, I could set a permission level on a user (the script included popups to do that more easily from the nick list) that granted permissions, so messaging me was "opt-in". Seems silly now (and that's why I unloaded it a while ago) but back then I was active on servers that were lousy with spam-bots and you'd get hammered with spam msgs every few minutes if you didn't have something like this in place. The script also had a lot of customizations available to change the message and the situations in which it would fire.

Anyway, it's definitely not a built-in mIRC setting that's firing here, because it's using the text above that's not native to mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ok, yeah... that's definitely a script. I'm not sure how you have that in a script without being able to find it unless you are using a DLL that contains the text. Maybe open every file listed in mIRC.ini for remotes and aliases and do a search in each of those. Or unload all scripts regardless of whether or not you think they are related and then load them one by one until you find the one that's doing it and then go over that one very closely until you find out what's doing it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This should be easy to locate, yes.
Also make sure you are looking at the correct location for the settings files. If you type //echo -a $mircdir you will see the path mIRC is currently using for its settings files.

The script doing this is either triggering an on TEXT event or an on OPEN event. Just look for :TEXT: and :OPEN:. It has to be present.

H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Drat, I was really hoping you guys were going to tell me there's some known quirky setting or bug or hidden place to look that I hadn't already thought to check. This is maddening! Well, thanks anyway.

H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Okay, in a roundabout way I found it. And it's kind of funny what it was.

When I saw text from my own script popping up, I assumed it was coming from me, especially since it looked that way on my screen. But what had actually happened is, someone else I was talking to, by sheer coincidence, happened to have gotten a copy of my script years ago and installed it. And didn't even know I was the original author since I'm not using the nick I used then.

And something on my system was making it a bit more confusing so that it looked like the message was coming from my system, when it was actually coming to it.

Once we identified that, she unloaded the script and the message vanished.

So it really had been fully removed from my system all along, and that's why I never found it!

Last edited by HunterGreen; 10/05/13 07:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard